Newbie with Ashford jack FL -seeks others

Forums Weaving Discussion Newbie with Ashford jack FL -seeks others

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author
      Barbara D Furgiuele
      Participant

Hello new  friends.   I purchased my loom in Sept. and have had a very difficult time learning to get the warp correctly on this loom.    The support videos on the Ashford site are not instructional or helpful.   🙁

If there happens to be anyone out there with this loom,  could I ask for some help?

Ellen Black
        Participant

Congrats on your new loom.   I wish I had their loom.  So well thought out.  There is a video on YouTube.   https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VbNl_nYI5qc

rooneymt
          Participant

I have an Ashford Jack too and the way they have you warp is not very user friendly :)) Is this your first loom? Mine is but I’ve had it for 2 years now. I was like you searching the internet for tips and even found a class on Craftsy.

What I found is even though I had weaved some dish towels I started at lesson 1 with Jane’s classes. Some things I already knew but much more often than not I learned tons of new stuff and new tricks! I would recommend starting the first lesson and progress to her video’s on warping.

While she weaves on LeClercs which is different than ours….it is the best way in the world to warp!! The key is the LeClercs (or looms she uses) has the raddle on top of the castle so it’s front of the cross rather than behind like with our Ashford. I know it may sound hard, but it was super easy for me to make a raddle that I could clamp on top of the castle. She uses those cool clamps that works perfect and are real cheap to buy on Amazon.

Having the raddle in front of the cross while winding it on the warp roller gives you a perfectly straight roll..I still use the rear raddle on the Ashford since I have it but you really don’t have too.

Mind you can still warp your loom without clamping a raddle on the castle and then taking it off when you are done, but the main thing I would emphasize is watching her video real close. Her entire sequence of winding the warp on a warping board or floor reel, proceeding to warp the loom and then to thread the heddles and slaying the reed are worth the price of the class alone for me! 🙂

Oh tying the apron….geesh I did it the way the lady at Ashford did with one string and threading it…but man that turned out to be a pain. With Jane’s method you do it once and it’s over…and much easier and quicker.

I hope this helps….I just love my Ashford!

Ellen Black
            Participant

You may be able to put the raddle on the castle. I do on my Mighty Wolf. I use the small plastic clamps to secure in place.

Ellen Black
              Participant

That Ashfords breast beam comes off is a huge plus when threading heddles. On the Mighty Wolf it does not.  Only in the back.  Schacht has not recognized that some weavers warp back to front.  Jane’s warping method is the best !

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Ellen Black.
                yezemin
                Participant

I would recommend “Learning to weave” by Deborah Chandler.

She shows several ways to warp your loom and you can choose what you like best.

Barbara D Furgiuele
                  Participant

Hi again…. So I watched the first episode and it was good.   I got to the second episode…the one I really NEED to watch, and guess what !    It will not work.   Must be a broken link or something.  I am really bummed.

In my other weaving school, I am doing an overshot class.   Well, that’s new enough and awkward, but now I am throwing in Jane’s sequence for beating the open shed.     I cannot tell you how many times I lost hold of my shuttle today.    When I first started using the loom and shuttles,  my two little Yorkies were terrified of the noise and action, especially since the shuttle almost hit them!

Have you had difficulties with the videos?  The first and the third episodes work fine.   🙁

Angela
                    Participant

Hi Barbara

Well, I have tried posting twice and have been unsuccessful. Third time should be a charm.

I took a look at your loom and it looks like it has some wonderful features . The way that the back beam rotates looks like it would be easier on the back. Also, I think in one of the videos on the Ashford site they mentioned the back beam could be turned upside down if you do not want to use the built-in raddle. I learned initially with the raddle being mounted on the back beam but I do like Jane’s warping method better. It is always nice to have different options.

– Regarding the videos, try looking at this link on the JST site: https://janestaffordtextiles.com/forums/topic/jst-forum-housekeeping-faqs/  . There are some troubleshooting topics for the videos.

– I highly recommend that you print off the PDF that Jane has for the warping process. Pay particular attention to pages 6 and 7.

– Also, here is a PDF for instructions on warping with the raddle on the back beam. It is done by Louise French and she is a very good and knowledgeable weaver/teacher.

Good Luck on your weaving and sorry for all of the frustrations,

Angela

Angela
                      Participant

Oh Oh,

forgot the link to Louise French’s PDF:

https://louisefrench.com/instructions_for_warping_back_to_front.pdf

Angela

rooneymt
                        Participant

Hi Barbara

I have the Ashford….I’ve warped my loom many ways…back to front and front to back. There are soooo many techniques to chose from…..but there’s a reason I signed up for this guild….for Jane has weaved commercially and knows every little trick to save you time and make things easier. Sometimes I wonder what the heck….but then I try it and wonder why I hadn’t done it that way earlier! :)))

Yes the rear beam on the Ashford can be turned over and used as a raddle. And it works fine but there’s a huge difference in having the raddle in front of the cross verse behind the cross. It took me awhile to before I finally put a raddle in front of the cross….and it makes it soooo much easier and neater that way.

I do love my Ashford for it’s a perfect size and does have some nice features. But I recommend just following Jane’s methods for now rather than spinning wheels with all the various methods out there. Once you’ve mastered her techniques, then if you wish to do something different you’ll have a reason. Otherwise it can be sooooo confusing!

Good luck and keep it simple! 🙂

Angela
                          Participant

Yes, I do agree with rooneymt. My comment earlier was to indicate that she can use the current set up until she gets another raddle. Once Barbara gets another raddle, she can turn the built in raddle over so she does not have to worry about it. Guess I wasn’t clear.

Barbara D Furgiuele
                            Participant

Hi again…. I am so glad to “know” of someone in the same loom as me…. when you said you put the raddle in front of the cross, 1). only one cross? or two? the raddle cross and a threading cross?

2). I also wondered where you put he raddle. (assuming you used the one built into our Loom). If I put it on top of the castle, then I guess it would be very similar to the looms she favors … Louet?

When I go to wind a warp on, those pegs that hold the two lease sticks are a pain. That winding on is what really mixes up my threads. When the roll starts to take up the cords, then the lease sticks, the warp sorta hangs down and gets all messed up. Do I have it set up wrong or something ? Thank you so much for being so kind and helpful.

rooneymt
                              Participant

Hi Barbara….I just posted 5 photos of how I setup my Ashford following Jane’s method. I don’t see them posted. Maybe it takes a bit of time before they post. If they don’t post I’ll try posting each photo as a separate post for you.  A photo is worth a thousand words! 🙂

Barbara D Furgiuele
                                Participant

Ooh I am excited to see.   Yesterday I sorta practiced trying to get a little warp on and it didn’t  go as bad as the other times.  The raddle was still on back though.   And I told you how  that yarn hangs down and gets tangled up before it tightens around that back roller ?!  Well instead of using the pegs to hold the lease sticks – I rubber banded the two together and it worked so much better.     It’s awful yarn though. It is a stiff linen and it’s sticky !  ( I bought it to make a silhouette type of deal that I saw in a book for small looms.   I will be looking for pics now.   If they don’t post can you send to my email?  bjdf@comcast.net
                                  Thank you!!

rooneymt
                                  Participant

Raddle-on-CastleHope these photos help you in how I adapted my Ashford so I could warp my loom in the way Jane does. In this photo you can see how I use those clamps that Jane uses to clamp my raddle I built to the castle. I used an empty paper towel cardboard so I can set my warp on the raddle without it getting tangled in the nails. You can see how I have the cross sticks “behind” the raddle which I have found soooo much easier to get a perfect warp on the rear beam! You can also see I’m using the raddle that came with the Ashford behind the cross sticks. You don’t need to do this. I only do it because if for some reason I mess up when threading my heddles and have to start up it makes it much easier to rethread it from small groups than an entire warp.

Also, if you do warp your Ashford without the raddle on the castle, you can still follow Jane’s method. But it that case you will have the cross sticks in front of the raddle. It works well but for me not nearly as easy or perfect as Jane’s method. I really think it’s worth while to purchase or build a raddle you can clamp on the castle.

rooneymt
                                    Participant

2-Ready-to-wind-rear-beam In this photo I have the loom all ready to start winding the warp onto the rear beam! Having the warp going through the raddle on the castle makes it go through the cross sticks wraps the rear beam much straighter. Again if you don’t have the raddle on the castle you just continue with the cross sticks up front.

rooneymt
                                      Participant

3-Beginning-windingNow I’m ready to start winding my warp! Jane uses some heavy books to keep tension on the warp as she winds. I happened to have a couple cans of stain close by that I used. But her method works soooo well for winding a tight warp if you have to do it by yourself

rooneymt
                                        Participant

4-End-WindingNow I’ve wound my warp onto the rear beam! You can see how straight everything is from the raddle on the castle to the rear beam. My next step is to remove the weights, pull really tight, wind a few turns and repeat till the end of the warp approaches the castle. And then I’m done!

rooneymt
                                          Participant

5-ready-for-threadingHere’s the view from the rear after the rear beam has been warped. Now I’m ready to start threading the heddles. And you can see the advantage of using the rear raddle with the Ashford in the even I have to rethread the heddles. Starting from one end in smaller bunches is much easier for me than trying to grab them from the entire warp. But mind you, the only time I have to rethread the heddles is if I happened to miss a heddle while threading. If I get lucky the missed heddle is on the end! :))) Hope these photos help!

rooneymt
                                            Participant

And one last thing…I really recommend you to watch Jane’s classes from the very beginning. The time you spend on that will be worth it. You will pick up so many little things that make the process so much easier! And she does have excellent video’s on how warp your loom. She includes real nice tips on how to tie up the cross sticks to the loom so they set nice and firm while winding the warp. And she gives tips on how to adjust the raddle for threading the heddles.

And her recommendation of starting with small warps is worth listening to as well. For when you first start off, you want to do warp your loom frequently. For when I first started warping my loom, I would have to review several of her steps over an over, with each time understanding her technique even more. Finally after several warps, it all makes sense. It’s just a natural progression from winding you warping board to moving it to the loom and winding the warp to the rear beam to threading the heddles, slaying the reed and tying the apron!

As I’ve mentioned before, there are many, many ways to do all these things. And even as Jane mentions in her videos, you want to do what’s comfortable for you. But what I’ve found is her way has always been the most comfortable for me :))) I found since I paid for the class, just to take my time and start from episode one and proceed. You will for sure find Season 1, Episodes 1-3 very helpful for getting your warp all ready to weave! ‘

The remainder of the lessons in Season 1 will be super helpful as you gain more experience and experiment with your own projects. Things like understanding sett, division of space is all fundamental to weaving. I actually took several months and followed season 1 and 2 completely. It feel it really gave me a solid foundation to start from.

Good luck and have fun…for that’s what its about!!! 🙂

Barbara D Furgiuele
                                              Participant

These notes and pictures ARE worth <b>thousands of words – you’re right !  Thank you for your help and kindness in showing me how things should look on my/your loom.      I did make a raddle !!   This is so exciting.   I hope my little girls. (my two Yorkies) don’t fuss when I want to keep working on the warp!!   Hopefully I will have pictures that look this beautiful for my files.  🙂

rooneymt
                                                Participant

Yes the hardest part of warping the loom isn’t the warping itself….it’s keeping the “kids” from wanting to help! :))) I have 3 golden retrievers….a 10 month, 2  1/2 year one and an 8 1/2 year that are always helping me! :))) My kitties like to help too but they especially like to help after I start weaving! :))

Sooooo glad you made a raddle! I really think with the raddle on the castle and using the Ashford raddle gives us the best of both worlds 🙂 If you ever miss a heddle while threading you’ll really love that you have your warp on your rear heddle. Better to sort through 8 or so threads at a time than to have a hundred or so to straighten out! 🙂

I would love to see photos when you get things going! Happy New Year! 🙂

Barbara D Furgiuele
                                                  Participant

Ha… your “kids” want to help… so they are taller and can actually poke their noses in to “help”.   Mine just cry or whine for attention.   My girls are 10 and the one is quite a manipulator…  when SHE wants attention, she’ll go to basement and use the pee pad …then she calls me.   It’s a two syllable bark…sometimes sounds like “ma ma” and sometimes it sounds like she is calling me by name   “BAR-BRA ” !!!!!!!       – if she ever puts all three syllables in the “calling my name”  (Barbara)  I will really be impressed.

Thanks again for all your wonderful help.  I truly appreciate it….   I hope I will be able to play it forward.   🙂

Happy  New Year to you and yours.

Johana
                                                    Participant

I have this loom and so far I have only weaved a test sample on it. Today I watched the local video about warping and I think it will be adapted for Ashford Jack as well. When we put a warp beam on the top shelf, we can do warp just like Jane. Then it would be possible to return it to its place and rewind the warp.

Barbara D Furgiuele
                                                      Participant

thank you… I did quickly whip up a raddle that is smaller and more lightweight to sit up there.   And I used both raddles !  It worked 😁

Barbara D Furgiuele
                                                        Participant

Hello fellow Ashford weaver

Well, with all your help I was able to warp the loom and made a scarf!    I just used some 8/2 cotton I had while I waited for my shipment containing the tencel.    I warped the loom again with accuracy and had it ready to go.  I could not get my sheds to open.   I thought it was too tight with the sticks in back so I loosened those.   (they fell awkwardly so I took them out… (bad?).    Now I have pulled the threads out of the reed.    So frustrated.        All threads are through the eye of the heddles.  (still)

Can you relate to this problem?  I cannot figure out what is going on b/c I had no problems with the cotton warp which I took off last week.    I did notice that these strands are sticking together.  :-(.

Also, when I step on the bar to release pressure on the roll so I can advance my warp, the whole thing spins or something …then I have to go around and re-wind it.   I didn’t know if I had too much or too little tension on that bar.(brake?)    Would you mind me asking your name?   I am Barbara and my email is bjdf@comcast.net if you can email me that way, it would be great.      Thank you so much

Viewing 25 reply threads
                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.