Newbie question 8/2 cotton

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      sharikalb
      Participant

I want to try dish towels and am warping 8/2 cotton at 24 epi. Should I be using the 8/2 doubled in the weft also? If so, how do I wind that on? Do I use two shuttles (would rather not) or can I just hold two threads tight and wind on my bobbin that way? Do I use it singled on the hem and doubled in the weft?

Ginette
        Keymaster

Hi Shari,

Your sett will be very tight for 2/8 cotton in tea towels.  Have you had a chance to view episode 4 of season 1 and episode 2 of season 2 on Sett?  Jane explains a whole bunch on setts and towels.

Ginette

sharikalb
            Participant

On her master sett chart it says 24 epi for 2/8 cotton twill so I went with that.

Ginette
                Keymaster

Hi Shari, just use single 2/8 end when weaving, that’ll be give you 50/50 balance in your towels.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by Ginette.
                    sharikalb
                    Participant

It will be balanced even if I have 2 threads in a dent at 24 epi?

Ettabb
                        Participant

That’s right. The number of threads in each dent in your reed varies, depending on how many threads you need per inch for your project. So if your yarn requires 24 ends per inch, and you have a 12 dent reed, it means you need to put 2 threads in each dent of the reed to get 24 into an inch. If your yarn is thicker and your sett requires 12 ends per inch, you’d only put 1 thread per dent in your reed. But that doesn’t relate to your weft at all. To get a balanced weave with 24 epi in your warp, you’ll need to throw the shuttle across and beat 24 times per inch in your weft (or 12 times with 12 epi). You almost always use a single thread in the weft, like you put in each heddle.

If you haven’t, take a look at Jane’s videos on project planning and sett in season 1. They’re very helpful in explaining how the warp and weft interact and how you figure out what you need to do.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by Ettabb.
                          • This reply was modified 5 years, 11 months ago by Ettabb.
                            sharikalb
                            Participant

I would be putting two threads in each dent for 24 epi but using only one thread for each weft pick, correct?

Viewing 1 reply thread
                • The forum ‘Season 1 – Foundation’ is closed to new topics and replies.