My David is skipping threads

Forums Weaving Discussion My David is skipping threads

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Maureen Janda
      Participant

I’m having constant trouble with skipped threads on my David. When the shed is open, threads are lying above the race a bit and the shuttle catches them. I already have the blocks that raise the beater at their very top position and there’s no further adjustments that I know of. The sweet spot in the shed is much reduced. Any suggestions?

Ginette
        Keymaster

Hi Maureen, what type of shuttle are you using? I found that those with the tip going downwards were easier to catch threads and create skips for me. I ended up switching to the Schacht ones a few years back.  Not sure if this will make a difference for you.

Nina Kennedy
          Participant

Yes – my first thought was also the same (about the kind of shuttle). I loved the Swedish shuttles (which are either neutral or point down a bit at the tip) when I had a Swedish loom – no problem catching the down warp threads as there is no shuttle race. However when I got a Louet loom I noticed that my Swedish shuttles seemed to catch these threads sitting on the shuttle race so I, too, switched to Schacht shuttles and the problem was solved.

Of course it may be something else but that is the first thing I would consider.

Judith
            Participant

I don’t have a David.  I have a Schact.  But my first thought was tension issues.  Yes, the shuttle shape can make a  difference and some have a tendency to catch threads.  but if you feel the threads are all supposed to lay flat on the race (which would make sense to me), then I think there might be a tension issue.  Have you contacted Louet?

Maureen Janda
              Participant

Good suggestions but I have Schacht shuttles. I’m trying to throw them higher and tilted up more in front to avoid the first couple of inches of the warp. I can feel that the threads on the left side of the warp are above the race. I’m not so sure about the center of the cloth because I can’t reach it while opening a shed at the same time, but there are fewer errors there.  An additional arm and leg would be so helpful sometimes.

I think that I might not be depressing the treadle completely at times, not entirely sure that’s true, but I have a lot of arthritis in my feet and it’s painful to press down the treadles. Maybe weaving with a looser tension would be easier. I’m going to give that a test and see. Jane said she likes to weave with looser tension.

Judith
                Participant

I think playing with the tension is worth a shot.  I know if I tighten my schact too much my sheds just don’t “work” as they should.   I know someone who says she likes to be able to “bounce a quarter” off her warps.  But if I did one that tight I would never get a decent shed.  Good luck.

fudsy1
                  Participant

what do you mean by adjusting blocks?

Viewing 6 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.