Moving heddles on a David

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Maureen Janda
      Participant

I would appreciate any advice on how to change around heddles on a Louet  David.   Because there are no rigid ends on the shafts of the David,  the whole shaft collapsed on me when I tried before to remove heddles. I’m sure there must be some kind of technique to this?

Thanks,  Maureen J

Kathy
        Participant

Good question! I’d like to know too.

Sandra
          Keymaster

OK – I’ll weigh in on this one.  One thing you must do is secure your heddles before taking them off a shaft.  Tie bundles in numbers you’ll remember.  Get some twist-ties and secure 50 (or ?) above and below the eye.  Once secure (and that’s oh so important 🙃) you can unhook the bottom of the shaft, holding on and not letting it fall – remove your bundle, remove it from the top of the shaft, and they’re off.  Keep them organized and it’s easy peasy.

A93471CA-8D5D-458F-AA2C-57B1BA973ECD

Kathy
              Participant

Thank you, Sandra! 😍 The picture is great…very helpful!

Maureen Janda
              Participant

I also “discovered” that it’s a good idea to run knitting needles or other appropriately sized stick through all the texsolv holding the 8 shafts front to back just below the castle on the side you’re disconnecting and another under the lower shaft running through the openings on all the shafts, this keeps things from moving or dropping as the tension on the texsolv is released when you remove the shaft’s cup-hook from the texsolv. Otherwise, you have to hang on to that tiny piece of cord for dear life with one hand while trying to remove or add heddles.

Good luck. It’s not hard once you get a routine. Oh, and I also inserted the blocking pin to keep the wooden gear things under the castle lid from moving.

Kathy
                  Participant

I’m going to have to look at my loom tomorrow and see if I can understand this…it’s late and I can’t seem to wrap my brain around this, but I really, really want to! I know I would fumble trying to hang on to everything. Thank you!

ahoerig2
                  Participant

I knew about twist tying the heddles, but the knitting needles were wonderful!  THANK YOU!

Viewing 4 reply threads
                • The forum ‘Season 1 – Foundation’ is closed to new topics and replies.