moving a David loom – with warp on?

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 1 – Foundation moving a David loom – with warp on?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Patricia
      Participant

Very soon, I must move my year-old 90cm David out of the “loom room” while the carpeting is removed and replaced with vinyl planking.  The loom was assembled in the room, but when the back beam is folded and secured, it should fit through the doorway.  However, I may not finish my current warp (cotton dishtowels) in time, so my question is whether folding/securing the back beam can be done when a warp (weaving in progress) is on the loom?  This worked well with my previous Schacht Mighty Wolf, but I am unsure if this will also not be a problem for the David.

Edited to add:

I have found the following comments which state that the folding back beam is for storage or when the loom is idle.  There is no information about folding the back beam when a warp is on the loom.

Eugene Textile Center:  “The back beam of this loom folds up to save space while the loom is idle.  It also passes easily through any standard door frame.”

Yarn Barn of Kansas:  “back beam that folds in for storage”

Handweavers Studio (UK):  “It’s not strictly a folding loom, but the back beam can be loosened and pulled in to reduce the depth a little while not in use.”

Thread Collective (Australia):  “The back beam on the David can be folded towards the castle when not in use allowing the loom to be moved to a corner reducing the floor space.”

Thanks in advance!

• This topic was modified 3 weeks, 4 days ago by Patricia.
        Ginette
        Keymaster

Hi Patricia,

I’ve closed the back beam and secured it by advancing the warp at the front and it will be just fine. The warp will help keep it closed while moving it around, I’ve done this many times moving my David in my mini van 🙂

When you’re ready to weave again, simply loosen the toggle on the front cloth beam and the back of the loom will  open up again.

Patricia
          Participant

Ginette, thank you so much for your helpful advice.  I wanted to hear from someone who had actually moved their David loom with a warp on, and that was exactly what I needed to know.

Kind regards,

Patricia

Ginette
              Keymaster

You’re welcome! If you ever have to transport the loom in a vehicle, insert the locking pin into the wooden cam holes to stabilize the harnesses & lams. Learned that on its first trip to a Sheep to Shawl competition 😉

Viewing 2 reply threads
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.