Monte Cristo Baby Blanket kit – reed substitution

Weaving Supplies, Yarn & Looms Canada Forums Weaving Discussion Monte Cristo Baby Blanket kit – reed substitution

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Patricia 16 hours, 59 minutes ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Patricia
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 14
    • Totals: 19
    • Weaving wonder

Ah, Mary, thank you!  That makes perfect sense, and would account for all 274 ends.  Many thanks again!

Mary R
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 3
    • Totals: 3
    • Weaving weeble

To me it sounds like the doubled ends are not counted in those groups of 44. So, 44 ends in their own heddles followed by two threads in one heddle. That should give you 66×4 (264) and then five groups of double threads in between those sections, which would be 10 more ends and equal 274 ends total in your warp.

Patricia
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

I’m getting ready to warp this project (Monte Cristo Baby Blankie kit), and planning the heddle count.  I’m a bit confused with the threading sequence (1-2-3-4) which doesn’t appear to account for all 274 ends of the warp.  Directions are “thread 44 ends, one end per heddle, then thread 2 ends together in one heddle.  Repeat this sequence 4 more times.  End with your last 44 ends, one end per heddle…. the double thread will occur on different shafts.  The first double threads will be on the first shaft, the second on the second shaft, and so on.”  So, there are 6 groups of 44 threads (264 ends) and 5 additional ends for doubling (one at the end of the first 5 sections of 44 ends), for a total of 269 ends, correct?  If so, then there are 5 additional ends not accounted for in the 274-end warp.

Can someone who has warped this project help me with my confusion?  MANY thanks in advance!

Patricia
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

Thanks for the quick reply and kind words of support!  I will give it a try.  I have done reed substitution before, but not with the rather distinct sleying directions that this project requires.

BTW, I also use an overhead light and a floor lamp, but my LED floor lamp provides fantastic lighting… and in 4 different color modes with a dimmer.  It’s $45 on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y557YV7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope this helps!  And, thanks again!

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by  Patricia.

judy
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 8
    • Totals: 9
    • Weaving wizard

I have a question for all you fellow weavers about lighting over your looms.  I’m finding it harder and harder to see my work, particularly when it’s dark and fine.  I currently use overhead lights and a floor lamp directed at my weaving, but they aren’t enough.  Do any of you have suggestions that work for you?

judy
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 8
    • Totals: 9
    • Weaving wizard

Hi Patricia

I just wanted to let you know that you have nothing to fear with the reed substitution.  I do it all the time with great results.  This blanket will be a good choice for trying it because the pima cotton will just “slide” into place and you’ll never know you made the change.  I wove the blanket for my 4 year old grandson when he was born and it’s still his absolute favourite!  I also tied another another two blankets on after the first and they were totally successful too (one was cotton and the other wool).  Enjoy the project.

Patricia
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

I just received the Monte Cristo Baby Blanket kit to use with my new David loom, but did not look closely to realize that this was an 8 epi sett… and I have only a 10- and a 12-dent reed.  Using a reed substitution chart (https://janestaffordtextiles.com/knowledge-base/using-a-reed-substitution-chart/) I see that the 12-dent reed can be sleyed 0-1-1 as a substitute for an 8-dent reed.  However, the Blankie kit directions for the 274 ends in an 8-dent reed state:

“Sley one end per dent for 44 dents.  Leave one empty dent.  Sley the two ends threaded together (in one heddle) in one dent.  Leave one empty dent.  Repeat this sequence 4 more times.  End with 44 ends, one per dent.”

Has anyone successfully used a 12-dent reed for this particular project/kit?  If so, how was the above sleying technique accomplished?  Thanks in advance!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.