Mohair scarf project

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      dena.hirchak
      Participant

I finished my first mohair scarf and am so thrilled by the results! I made this for my mother for her 77th birthday.

The striping sequence is based on Fibonacci numbers, with a couple adjustments to equal 72 ends: 15,9,5,3,2,1,1 in each direction. It shrunk 20% in the fulling process. Is that what others found with their projects? I underestimated how much it would shrink so it’s a little on the short side (42”), but not a show-stopper.

It was also such a surprisingly quick project! A half hour to wind the warp, an hour to dress the loom, two hours weaving and a half hour to full and brush. Way faster than I thought! On another loom I am in the process of weaving a bamboo scarf which is taking a lot longer than expected. This side project was a refreshing break.

Thanks Jane for your wonderful, thorough, well-explained videos! Your tips and tricks on working with mohair is invaluable. You’re such a terrific teacher!

mohair_onloom

On the loom

mohair before fulling

Just off the loom before wet finishing and brushing

mohair_closeup_before fulling  mohair closeup after fulling

Closeup before and after washing and brushing (sorry – different light conditions in photos!)

mohair finished 2  mohair finished

All finished!

• This topic was modified 4 years ago by Ginette.
        • This topic was modified 4 years ago by dena.hirchak.
        • This topic was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Ginette.
        Sandra
        Keymaster

Beautiful Dena, your Mom will love it!

cshortcake
          Participant

Your mom is going to love it!!!  I love weaving with mohair!!

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • The forum ‘Season 1 – Foundation’ is closed to new topics and replies.