Mohair Boucle

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  sylvia.lowry 17 hours, 36 minutes ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

sylvia.lowry
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 20
    • Totals: 20
    • Weaving wonder

Hello again,
    I have just been presented with another big bag full of yarn, some of it mohair, but also some interesting blends I don’t quite know how to handle.
    First-mohair and cotton.Never heard of this before and I have 20, 50 gram balls. The mohair seems to be the bouclé on a cotton thread. I can break it easily.
    Question: do I set it at 6epi and how should I full it?

Second- acrylic and wool. This is as hairy as mohair. I can’t break it with my hands so which is which? I presume the wool will full but will this be fullable or how do I get the halo from the hair? I know what you are going to say-sample, sample sample but if you can shed some light on this, it will save me some time. I’m trying to get as much warm and cosy stuff woven before the end of November for our Guild’s Christmas sale.
    Thanks again,
    Sylvia

Ginette
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 380
    • Totals: 391
    • Weaving wonder

Hi Sylvia,

If your first scarf wove nicely at 6-7 ppi using the mohair boucle, I would probably stick with that sett for the warp, maybe try 6 to start. If you have a decent width for your warp and need to bring it in some, you can always resley to 8. If it helps, Jane’s Mohair Boucle for comparison to yours, is 78% Mohair / 13% Wool / 9% Nylon – Natural – 980 yds/lb – available in 100 gr. skeins  with 215 yds/skein, weaves nicely at 6 epi/ppi.

Don’t you just love it when you unearth some yarns from your stash!

sylvia.lowry
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

Thanks Ginette,
    I think I have enough mohair bouclé for both warp and weft to make another scarf.

What would the correct sett be? It seems to me that it might be about 8 epi rather than 6 because of not so much hair.

My first scarf had a 2/8 mercerized cotton warp set at 16 epi and the bouclé weft was beaten at about 6-7 ppi. It turned out to have a very nice hand but I didn’t know at the time that it had to be brushed while damp.So I don’t know how much of a halo it might have produced.

Your help is appreciated.
    Sylvia

P.S. I have just unearthed 4 plus, 14oz beautiful balls of lilac brushed mohair that has been hanging around the house for about 45 years. There is enough warp left over from my MORE FIBONACCI tea towels for a dummy warp. Today I will wind a warp for an 8 inch scarf and since I always weigh yarns before and after a project, I will be interested to find out how much mohair is required for a long scarf.

Ginette
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 380
    • Totals: 391
    • Weaving wonder

Hi Diane & Sylvia,

Yes, you can brush it while it’s still damp. If you have another look at Season 1 Episode 10.3 at the 17:00 mark, Jane shows how to brush which you can do the same with the Mohair Boucle. I just did a blanket last month and it was just beautiful and soft after brushing.

sylvia.lowry
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

I asked the same question a long time ago and never got an answer. I hope I can see one here soon.
    Sylvia

dianeg537
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 0
    • Totals: 1
    • Weaving weeble

I just completed my first mohair boucle scarf and am getting ready to full it. Question: Do I need to brush it at all or if so while it is still damp?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.