Mohair Blanket

Viewing 15 reply threads
  • Author
      Cindy
      Participant

Will kits for the Mohair Blanket be available to purchase for episode 9?

Jane
        Keymaster

Hi Cindy,

I am weaving away as I write, well, not quite….We will have 3 kits available 🙂

Cheers,

Jane

Cindy
            Participant

Thanks.  That is great!

Wendy
            Participant

I can only see the cotton baby blanket kits on the kits page and the individual mohair yarns… Maybe they’ve all quickly sold?

Jane
              Keymaster

They won’t be up until next week.  I have to full them and photograph them etc.

Wendy
                  Participant

Oh sorry, I misread your previous reply, Jane. Thank you! 🙂

Carol
                    Participant

Ordered mine today.  My Christmas present to me.  It will be hard not to start them right away.  Good thing the looms are busy with other things.    Thanks.

Carol
                    Participant

I love the mohair blankie kit for big people.  Cancelling  my trip to the Island so I can order it.  Is it only going to be available in colours shown or, if I pay a bit extra, can I chose colours.  Thanks

Jane
                        Keymaster

Hi Carol,

Next week Alastair is putting together 2 more designs that I wove a few weeks ago.  With those kits you can pick your Own colour way……there are 2 designs with about 10 different colour way suggestions.  Can you hold on a smidge longer. 🙂

Cheers,

Jane

Carol
                            Participant

No problem.  I can wait just a wee tiny bit.  I have my looms warped with other goodies at the moment.  Love the idea of the mohair blankets, just never had the courage until I saw this episode.  You make it look easy and I’m a very trusting person.  Look forward to when they are ready.  Thanks.

Ginette
                                Keymaster

Hi Ed, Harrisville shetland warp and mohair weft make great blankets! Jane has the sett for these 2 yarns for exactly that combo in her master sett chart PDF file.

Ginette

Carol
                                  Participant

As usual, my order arrived lickety split.  I  now have my mohair for 2 blankets and  and  the Monte Cristo for a baby blanket.  Thank you for such prompt service.  I am sitting here looking at this box of yarn instead of cooking food (ordering in pizza).  I have to get the rugs off the loom before I can start or maybe, buy a new loom for the blankets.  Thanks again for your service as well as the excellent Guild.

Jane Stafford
                                Participant

Hi Carol,

More colour options for blankies are now up on the site.  THanks for your patience.

Cheers,

Jane

Ed Chapman
                                Participant

I would like to maybe perhaps try a mohair blanket with a wool warp and mohair weft. Any suggestions for a specific wool and a specific sett?

Carol
                                  Participant

Sitting here at 7 in the morning and have come up with a few questions on this blanket.  Jane, you say this is a 45″ blanket.  I am assuming in the reed?  My 45 inch reeds will accommodate so that is not a problem as long as the answer is yes.  Next.  I have 4, 10 and 12 dent reeds for this loom. Am best to use the 4 at 1,2 or use the 12 at  0,1.  I may be overthinking this.  Please let me know as I have to order soon.  Thanks,  Carol

Jane Stafford
                                      Participant

Hi Carol,

45” in the reed is correct.  Finer dented reeds strip the mohair, they abraid it too much and your mohair ends up on the floor and not in the blankie.  I would not use the 10 and definitely not the 12 that leaves you with the 4 so I would use that 2 per dent leaving the 4th dent empty.  This will also give you a little reed patterning in the warp which could be quite beautiful.  Ideally if you want to weave a lot of mohair blankies you might want to spring for a 6 dent reed which is what we use.    Why not try a small scarf first to see how this turns out.

Hope this helps.

Carol
                                          Participant

Thanks for the information, Jane.  I have tried scarves a couple of times with a mohair blend that was only 10% and the 10 dent reed.  I think this will make a much better product.  I also think mohair scarves will make good gifts this year as it appears we are shaping up for another cold one.  I would love a 6 dent reed. As always:   yarn – accessories; accessories – yarn.  Yarn is winning this year.

Carol
                                            Participant

Thanks for the information, Jane.  I have tried scarves a couple of times with a mohair blend that was only 10% and the 10 dent reed.  I think this will make a much better product.  I also think mohair scarves will make good gifts this year as it appears we are shaping up for another cold one.  I would love a 6 dent reed. As always:   yarn – accessories; accessories – yarn.  Yarn is winning this year.

Corinna Hettinger
                                          Participant

Hi Jane.

I’ve been watching for the mohair blanket kits but have not seen any new ones yet. I was wondering if perhaps they are not in the store but some other place.

I’m counting the days until the next episode.

I really love your guild and have learned so much from it.

Thanks

Wendy
                                              Participant

Yes, I’m eagerly waiting for the new blanket kits too! Will they become available while the mohair is on special? The shipping to Australia is enormous, so that would be helpful! 🙂

Jane Stafford
                                              Participant

Hi Kids,

We will get this done on Tuesday…..just finished our last workshop of the year.  Next week. I promise before the sale is over 🙂

Jane

Carol
                                                  Participant

I will be eagerly watching.  Thank you and your staff for the hard work to prepare this.

Carrie
                                                  Participant

Hi Jane,

I only have a 12 and an 8 dent reed.  Do you think that an 8 dent reed would be too hard on the mohair?

Thanks,

Carrie

Jane Stafford
                                                      Participant

Hi Carrie,

The 12 will destroy the mohair.  I knew my sett was best at 6 and I knew I wanted to weave a lot of mohair blankies to I invested in the 6 right away.  Why don’t you try a small project like a scarf on the 8 and see what happens, or a small sample.

If you think you will be weaving other highly textured yarns or perhaps rugs you might like to invest in a 6.  It is nice to have a more open reed 🙂

Hope this helps,

Jane

Carrie
                                                      Participant

I was wondering if I used Harrisville Shetland for warp and mohair for weft in plainweave in an 8 dent reed, if it would be fulled and brushed in the same way as an all mohair blanket?

Also, for those of us with a front load washer, will fulling in the sink still work?

Thanks again,

Carrie

Jane Stafford
                                                          Participant

Hi Carrie,

I treat my SHetland warp/Mohair weft blankies the same way.  It may full a bit quicker because of the higher content of wool.  That is why I don’t give you a real time line…you have to decide when it is finished through experience.   Brushing is exactly the same and of course you can do it in the sink or the bathtub but it takes more elbow grease than the machine.

You could try a sample in the machine.  Do it for 3 minutes and see what happens.  Sampling helps us so much 🙂 especially if you get a hankering to make to a few of these wonderful creatures.

Pamela Mickelwait
                                                          Participant

Is it possible to make a mohair blanket, warp and weft, using double wide technique?  Is mohair too sticky?  My loom has a 40 inch weaving width and my blankets after washing shrink to 34” which isn’t wide enough to please me. I’ve made the mohair scarf and the shawl both of which have turned out beautifully but hesitate to make the blanket only because in the end it will turn out to be an extra wide shawl.

Jane Stafford
                                                              Participant

Hi Pamela,

I have never tried it.  The thought of brushed mohair at 12 EPI in the reed has always put me off.  Sorry I can’t help on that one.

Cheers,

Jane

Ed Chapman
                                                              Participant

I have a question along the same lines as Carrie…. I would like to use Shetland wool for the warp and mohair for the weft… Does anyone have a picture or a link to a picture showing what a 50/50 blanket looks like? I have read that Shetland can be a little scratchy, and I was hoping the mohair might reduce this. In any case I am interested in trying out this 50/50 blanket…

Jane Stafford
                                                                  Participant

Hi Ed,

We use shetland and mohair together all the time.  When it is fulled and brushed it is absolutely amazing.  Even shetland and shetland is beautiful when fulled and brushed.  Brushing changes everything.  In the November newsletter there is a picture of a shetland warp/mohair weft blankie on our lovely model Mary.  It is green and purple.

Hope this helps,

Jane

Corinna Hettinger
                                                                  Participant

I have had problems with my fringes. They tend to felt during the fulling process and are incredibly hard to separate again.

What am I doing wrong? Is there a way to prevent this from happening?

I have only hand fulled a couple of scarves but don’t want to risk damaging a blanket.

I hope someone has some trick to share.

Jane Stafford
                                                                      Participant

Hi Corinna,

They are probably too long.   Mine are around 4”, not longer than 5”……I do have to brush the fringes harder and sometimes I have to help them indivually.  Maybe watch the brushing section more time.

I remember my first fringes…what a mess!

CHeers,

Jane

• #35206
                                                                          Corinna Hettinger
                                                                          Participant

Thank you very much Jane,

I thought I had trimmed them short enough but will measure this next scarf and see what happens.

Janet
                                                                        Participant

Just wondering if anyone has experience with the Fleece Artist mohair that looks like a mohair boucle (that may not be what it is called, but that’s what it looks like)? This has been sitting on my shelf for years and I’d like to make a blanket using mohair and the mohair boucle. I am wondering about brushing it after fulling. Will the loops of the boucle snag? Thanks!

• #37093
                                                                            Jane
                                                                            Keymaster

Hi Janet,

The boucle works very well when brushed….I often used our hand dyed as the weft and love it.

• #37852
                                                                            Susan Hoddinott
                                                                            Participant

Mohair and I have done our dance over the past snowy cold weeks.  There were challenges but overall I am happy with the results.  I think the problem was more with the weaver and a rather naughty loom than the wool.  🙂

First I made a long mohair scarf (brushed mohair warp and weft) .  Then two lap blankets that were originally meant to be joined to make a poncho, but are now being left separate.  (2 ply Kamouraska “artisan” wool for warp and brushed mohair for weft)    Because I have a front loading washing machine the blankets had to be washed by hand in the bath tub. (Husband was recruited to provide agitation.)  Both projects came up lovely and soft with brushing.

Thanks Jane for the challenge!     Susan

IMG_6565IMG_6560

Viewing 15 reply threads
                                                                          • The forum ‘Season 1 – Foundation’ is closed to new topics and replies.