Louet Spring squeaky…

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Ed Chapman
      Participant

My new Spring has developed a squeak when I move two of the eight harnesses. I believe the squeaks originate between the black plastic wheels that carry the texsolv ropes within the castle.  This part of the  loom was assembled when it arrived, so I am not sure how to lubricate the metal rod running through the plastic wheels. I found your advice RE the David, but that is wood against metal if I remember correctly. I know some oils will break down plastics over time and hesitate to use a machine oil without talking to an expert!

I have tried graphite powder, like what you would use in a door lock. It does not seem to be working and appears go everywhere except where I want it.

Can you recommend a safe oil?  I would apply some wax to the rod if there was not a project on the loom right now and if I knew how to to disassemble the wheel system in the castle. I believe it does come apart, since it would have to when adding the extra harnesses for an 8 to 12 upgrade.

The loom has been an absolute pleasure- quiet as a mouse during operation-until now. Any advice you could provide is appreciated!

Jane Stafford
        Participant

Hi Ed,

If you go to the Helpline on the website and look at the Spring Loom section you’ll find your solution.  I would provide a link but there is so much in there about the Spring you might find other things handy too 🙂

Easy Peasy fix.

Cheers,

Jane

Ed Chapman
          Participant

OK. I am going to claim the weaver’s equivalent of refrigerator blindness….. I have read through the helpline and not found an answer.

Is it safe to use sewing machine oil on the Spring?

Jane Stafford
              Participant

Hi Ed,

Refridgerator blindness, I love that……I have that!!!!  Too funny.

https://janestaffordtextiles.com/faq/squeak-on-my-spring-loom/

Here you go 🙂

Cheers,

Jane

rissafinekarpoff
                  Participant

Thank heavens for this guild and the FAQ.

My beloved Spring developed such a horrendous squeak that my very favorite thing in the world became a form of torture.

I didn’t have a bottle of sewing machine or spinning wheel oil, but I did have a bottle of mineral oil. I dipped the tip of a bamboo skewer in it so I could get just a drop. The long skewer made it super easy to get that drop exactly where I wanted it.

Found I could push the plastic wheels apart just a bit to expose the metal rod underneath. Touched the tip of the skewer between each wheel, then treadled a few times to distribute the oil. Worked like a charm.

Thank you!

Viewing 2 reply threads
            • The forum ‘Season 1 – Foundation’ is closed to new topics and replies.