Louet David Loom

Tagged: 

This topic contains 20 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Sandra 2 hours, 45 minutes ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Patricia
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 12
    • Totals: 17
    • Weaving wonder

Carol, I LOVE my new David loom… and following Jane’s methods (some a bit different than what I’m used to over the last ten years of weaving) has resulted in a lovely first project (the pinwheel napkins shown in the threading photo and underway in the photo below).

two shuttles

My selvedges are the best! I attribute that to (a) using moderate tension (as Jane suggests) rather than my previous “trampoline” tension; and (b) beating on an open shed rather than my previous beat on a closing shed. Following Jane’s early videos in the first season was incredibly helpful and the results are fantastic.

I did NOT use a temple for this project (I’ve previously been using a temple with every project), since my tension was moderate and my draw-in was minimal (because of the open shed beat). One of my instructors in the past, Madelyn van der Hoogt, wrote this excellent description of when to use/not use a temple:

https://www.interweave.com/article/weaving/need-use-temple/

The David is everything I was expecting! So far, I’m really enjoying the ergonomics of this loom…. everything seems to be a much easier process – exactly what I was hoping for when I took a “leap of faith” to buy a new loom sight unseen (ie, without “test driving,” as there is no local dealer with one for me to try out).

I haven’t experienced any downside to the David – and have a series of 3 previous jack looms for comparison over the last 10 years (Schacht 8-harness 46″ standard floor loom in 2008; then downsized to a Schacht 8-harness 36″ Mighty Wolf in 2011; and 6 months in 2010 with 4-harness Schacht Wolf Pup).

I am in my mid-60s, and my last warp on the Mighty Wolf I sold had a Swedish inlay border (dukagang style) which required treadle 1 to be tied up with shafts 3-8… heavy and farthest left, with more than the usual hip pain. That was the “last straw” with the increasing hip/knee issues. I spent quite a bit of time reading/viewing reviews and videos of the David 90cm, and came to the conclusion (based on its similar footprint to my Mighty Wolf, and relative cost) that it would be the best choice for my needs. And, in the two months I have owned it, it has indeed fulfilled all my expectations.

Probably more information than you were looking for, but I don’t think you would be disappointed with the David 90cm if this loom is within your size and price requirements. If I were starting again, with a bigger “loom room” and a larger budget, the Louet Spring would probably be my choice. Good luck with your purchase!

carol1855wlr
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 32
    • Totals: 35
    • Weaving wonder

Thank You Patricia!  What a lovely sight; looks like you can really get right in there to thread.  How do you like your new David?  Have you found any down sides to it?  I’ve been drooling over the David for several years now!

Patricia
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 12
    • Totals: 17
    • Weaving wonder

Just as Ginette says… very easy to take off the breast beam and sliding beater.  Here is my new (delivered two months ago) David in the midst of threading:threading front loom

carol1855wlr
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

Thank You Ginette for getting back tome so promptly!  Have a wonderful New Year!  You told me what I was hoping to hear!

Ginette
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 386
    • Totals: 397
    • Weaving wonder

Hi Carol,

Yes it does come off super easy, the beater as well then you can get right in there and thread with ease.

Ginette

carol1855wlr
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

Does the breast beam come off for easier threading?  I’m seriously considering the David as my first floor loom!

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.