Louet David Loom

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      carol1855wlr
      Participant

Does the breast beam come off for easier threading?  I’m seriously considering the David as my first floor loom!

Ginette
        Keymaster

Hi Carol,

Yes it does come off super easy, the beater as well then you can get right in there and thread with ease.

Ginette

carol1855wlr
          Participant

Thank You Ginette for getting back tome so promptly!  Have a wonderful New Year!  You told me what I was hoping to hear!

Patricia
            Participant

Just as Ginette says… very easy to take off the breast beam and sliding beater.  Here is my new (delivered two months ago) David in the midst of threading:threading front loom

carol1855wlr
                Participant

Thank You Patricia!  What a lovely sight; looks like you can really get right in there to thread.  How do you like your new David?  Have you found any down sides to it?  I’ve been drooling over the David for several years now!

Patricia
                Participant

Carol, I LOVE my new David loom… and following Jane’s methods (some a bit different than what I’m used to over the last ten years of weaving) has resulted in a lovely first project (the pinwheel napkins shown in the threading photo and underway in the photo below).

two shuttles

My selvedges are the best! I attribute that to (a) using moderate tension (as Jane suggests) rather than my previous “trampoline” tension; and (b) beating on an open shed rather than my previous beat on a closing shed. Following Jane’s early videos in the first season was incredibly helpful and the results are fantastic.

I did NOT use a temple for this project (I’ve previously been using a temple with every project), since my tension was moderate and my draw-in was minimal (because of the open shed beat). One of my instructors in the past, Madelyn van der Hoogt, wrote this excellent description of when to use/not use a temple:

https://www.interweave.com/article/weaving/need-use-temple/

The David is everything I was expecting! So far, I’m really enjoying the ergonomics of this loom…. everything seems to be a much easier process – exactly what I was hoping for when I took a “leap of faith” to buy a new loom sight unseen (ie, without “test driving,” as there is no local dealer with one for me to try out).

I haven’t experienced any downside to the David – and have a series of 3 previous jack looms for comparison over the last 10 years (Schacht 8-harness 46″ standard floor loom in 2008; then downsized to a Schacht 8-harness 36″ Mighty Wolf in 2011; and 6 months in 2010 with 4-harness Schacht Wolf Pup).

I am in my mid-60s, and my last warp on the Mighty Wolf I sold had a Swedish inlay border (dukagang style) which required treadle 1 to be tied up with shafts 3-8… heavy and farthest left, with more than the usual hip pain. That was the “last straw” with the increasing hip/knee issues. I spent quite a bit of time reading/viewing reviews and videos of the David 90cm, and came to the conclusion (based on its similar footprint to my Mighty Wolf, and relative cost) that it would be the best choice for my needs. And, in the two months I have owned it, it has indeed fulfilled all my expectations.

Probably more information than you were looking for, but I don’t think you would be disappointed with the David 90cm if this loom is within your size and price requirements. If I were starting again, with a bigger “loom room” and a larger budget, the Louet Spring would probably be my choice. Good luck with your purchase!

carol1855wlr
                    Participant

Thank You Patricia, that was exactly the type of info I was seeking and I appreciate you taking the time to share!  I’m a relatively new weaver so Jane’s Online Guild was a God send; I learned ways of doing things before I had made too many bad habits.  I’m 66 with back issues so hearing of the ease of weaving was a real boost.  I’m also short 5’2″, with average to short legs and the David looked like it would be a great fit.  I’m still searching for local businesses where I can take one for a test drive, but may not be possible.  I’ve had a lot of folks recommend the Schacht jack looms, but the only 8 shaft one I tried, a Mighty Wolf, was not comfortable to me.  I also love the looks of the Spring, but I have concerns about being physically able to do the tie ups, the David is so much less work, therefore time I’ll be on the floor.  And for me there is the cost issue, saving for the Spring will take me years yet and I don’t want to wait that long.  Have a marvelous New Year weaving on that beautiful loom!

Trish
                        Participant

Hi – sorry I’m a bit late to this thread. I got my David in October and I love everything about it! I’m 5ft 2 and get back ache with other looms (let’s not even discuss the Glimakra..!) It’s really easy to thread – I can sit really comfortably to thread the heddles and I can see the lease sticks really easily too. The reed is easy to thread too as it’s on the sliding beater. The built in raddle and Jane’s instructions have made everything so much better too. I can’t think of a single thing I don’t like about it! I dithered over a Schacht too and didn’t have a chance to test drive so very pleased with my purchase.

carol1855wlr
                            Participant

Hi Trish, thank you for responding.  It was good to hear from another shorter individual.  The David really sounds perfect for me and my bad back.  I think I’ve found a fairly local shop which carries them, so I should be able to take one for a test drive in the near future.  That will tell the tale, as I’ve already tried the Schacht and had problems with my back on the 8 shaft; and I so want an 8 shaft!  Enjoy your new loom!

Betty.allen
                                Participant

This is a good discussion.  I also have a 4 shaft Schacht and really want to go to 8 shaft. I’ve narrowed my search down and very strongly considering the David. Does anyone know where this loom is in production?  I know some people were waiting months to get different Louet looms.

Trish
                                  Participant

Hope you have a good test drive!! We’ll all want to know the outcome! Happy weaving xx

ozkats
                            Participant

I heard that Louet is replacing the sliding beater with a different style of beater. Is this true?

Karen
                              Participant

Hi-  I recently purchased a David Loom and am very happy with it.  I learned to weave in college and then laid it away for a very long time.  Now it is 40 years later and I was ready to begin again.  My children are grown and I have retired.  I have the smaller size loom and find it is perfect for my needs.  I can see and reach everything very easily.  I am also 5’2″ .  I assembled the loom myself and it was a great way to learn all about its workings at the same time.  I have joined the guild after watching as many you tube videos as I could find.  I am excited about this online guild as I live in a small town on Lake Erie where most weaving resources are hours away. Best of Luck to you in your search for a new loom.

carol1855wlr
                                  Participant

Thanks Karen!  I thought from looking closely at all the images I could find of the David, that it would fit my 5’2″ person very well.  I’m hoping to test drive one in the next couple of months.  I appreciate your taking the time to post; it really helps!

Lana
                                  Participant

This thread is interesting to me because I am rather tall (68″) and have long legs.  My David suits me because it allows plenty of room for my legs without having my knees  touching the woven cloth.  I used to have a Baby Wolf and found this annoying.   Sounds like David can fit lots of people!

sharikalb
                                    Participant

I want to get a David, but I have only warped F2B. It seems like this loom is made to only warp B2F. Does the back beam come off easily if I want to warp F2B? I tried to learn the other way, but it seemed so difficult with many more steps to it and I like to design at the loom.

Sandra
                                        Keymaster

The simple answer is, yes – it can be taken off, Shari.

Have you read the thread Back to Front vs Front to Back – a wee conversation from the JST Knowledge Base?

sharikalb
                                          Participant

I am putting a downpayment on a new David, but I cannot decide on which width to get. It seems like a lot more width for only $150  more but I have never had a loom wider than 27″ and I am not sure I would want to weave anything wider than I already do. Help! Suggestions?

carol1855wlr
                                              Participant

Shari, I’d personally purchase the widest width.  You can always weave less than the max warp width, but you can’t go the other direction.  AND sure as shooting, as soon as you order the narrower width, you’ll want to do a wider project!  I’m excited for you and can’t wait to hear how you like yours!

fudsy1
                                                  Participant

I ready every post here and over on the 8-shaft FB group.  I’ve been studying the David for over a year now and two weeks ago pulled the trigger and purchased the 35″.  I’m so looking forward to him arriving. My email says he should ship the end of November.  Until then I will keep plugging away on my Jane tableloom

Sandra
                                                      Keymaster

Congratulations!!  I remember waiting impatiently for mine to arrive – the anticipation added to the excitement.  Your Jane will be happy to have a sibling 😉

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.