Louet David Loom

Tagged: 

This topic contains 20 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Sandra 6 days, 21 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author

Sandra
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 27
    • Replies: 435
    • Totals: 462
    • Weaving wonder

Congratulations!!  I remember waiting impatiently for mine to arrive – the anticipation added to the excitement.  Your Jane will be happy to have a sibling 😉

fudsy1
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 27
    • Totals: 32
    • Weaving wonder

I ready every post here and over on the 8-shaft FB group.  I’ve been studying the David for over a year now and two weeks ago pulled the trigger and purchased the 35″.  I’m so looking forward to him arriving. My email says he should ship the end of November.  Until then I will keep plugging away on my Jane tableloom

carol1855wlr
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 32
    • Totals: 35
    • Weaving wonder

Shari, I’d personally purchase the widest width.  You can always weave less than the max warp width, but you can’t go the other direction.  AND sure as shooting, as soon as you order the narrower width, you’ll want to do a wider project!  I’m excited for you and can’t wait to hear how you like yours!

sharikalb
    Participant
    • Replies: 16
    • Totals: 21
    • Weaving wonder

I am putting a downpayment on a new David, but I cannot decide on which width to get. It seems like a lot more width for only $150  more but I have never had a loom wider than 27″ and I am not sure I would want to weave anything wider than I already do. Help! Suggestions?

Sandra
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 27
    • Replies: 435
    • Totals: 462
    • Weaving wonder

The simple answer is, yes – it can be taken off, Shari.

Have you read the thread Back to Front vs Front to Back – a wee conversation from the JST Knowledge Base?

sharikalb
    Participant
    • Replies: 16
    • Totals: 21
    • Weaving wonder

I want to get a David, but I have only warped F2B. It seems like this loom is made to only warp B2F. Does the back beam come off easily if I want to warp F2B? I tried to learn the other way, but it seemed so difficult with many more steps to it and I like to design at the loom.

Lana
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Replies: 8
    • Totals: 10
    • Weaving wonder

This thread is interesting to me because I am rather tall (68″) and have long legs.  My David suits me because it allows plenty of room for my legs without having my knees  touching the woven cloth.  I used to have a Baby Wolf and found this annoying.   Sounds like David can fit lots of people!

Trish
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 2
    • Totals: 2
    • Weaving weeble

Hope you have a good test drive!! We’ll all want to know the outcome! Happy weaving xx

carol1855wlr
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

Thanks Karen!  I thought from looking closely at all the images I could find of the David, that it would fit my 5’2″ person very well.  I’m hoping to test drive one in the next couple of months.  I appreciate your taking the time to post; it really helps!

Karen
    Participant
    • Replies: 1
    • Totals: 1
    • Weaving weeble

Hi-  I recently purchased a David Loom and am very happy with it.  I learned to weave in college and then laid it away for a very long time.  Now it is 40 years later and I was ready to begin again.  My children are grown and I have retired.  I have the smaller size loom and find it is perfect for my needs.  I can see and reach everything very easily.  I am also 5’2″ .  I assembled the loom myself and it was a great way to learn all about its workings at the same time.  I have joined the guild after watching as many you tube videos as I could find.  I am excited about this online guild as I live in a small town on Lake Erie where most weaving resources are hours away. Best of Luck to you in your search for a new loom.

Betty.allen
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 46
    • Totals: 50
    • Weaving wonder

This is a good discussion.  I also have a 4 shaft Schacht and really want to go to 8 shaft. I’ve narrowed my search down and very strongly considering the David. Does anyone know where this loom is in production?  I know some people were waiting months to get different Louet looms.

carol1855wlr
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

Hi Trish, thank you for responding.  It was good to hear from another shorter individual.  The David really sounds perfect for me and my bad back.  I think I’ve found a fairly local shop which carries them, so I should be able to take one for a test drive in the near future.  That will tell the tale, as I’ve already tried the Schacht and had problems with my back on the 8 shaft; and I so want an 8 shaft!  Enjoy your new loom!

Trish
    Participant
    • Replies: 2
    • Totals: 2
    • Weaving weeble

Hi – sorry I’m a bit late to this thread. I got my David in October and I love everything about it! I’m 5ft 2 and get back ache with other looms (let’s not even discuss the Glimakra..!) It’s really easy to thread – I can sit really comfortably to thread the heddles and I can see the lease sticks really easily too. The reed is easy to thread too as it’s on the sliding beater. The built in raddle and Jane’s instructions have made everything so much better too. I can’t think of a single thing I don’t like about it! I dithered over a Schacht too and didn’t have a chance to test drive so very pleased with my purchase.

ozkats
    Participant
    • Replies: 1
    • Totals: 1
    • Weaving weeble

I heard that Louet is replacing the sliding beater with a different style of beater. Is this true?

carol1855wlr
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

Thank You Patricia, that was exactly the type of info I was seeking and I appreciate you taking the time to share!  I’m a relatively new weaver so Jane’s Online Guild was a God send; I learned ways of doing things before I had made too many bad habits.  I’m 66 with back issues so hearing of the ease of weaving was a real boost.  I’m also short 5’2″, with average to short legs and the David looked like it would be a great fit.  I’m still searching for local businesses where I can take one for a test drive, but may not be possible.  I’ve had a lot of folks recommend the Schacht jack looms, but the only 8 shaft one I tried, a Mighty Wolf, was not comfortable to me.  I also love the looks of the Spring, but I have concerns about being physically able to do the tie ups, the David is so much less work, therefore time I’ll be on the floor.  And for me there is the cost issue, saving for the Spring will take me years yet and I don’t want to wait that long.  Have a marvelous New Year weaving on that beautiful loom!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.