Look where we all live & Introductions

Weaving Supplies, Yarn & Looms Canada Forums Weaving Discussion Look where we all live & Introductions

This topic contains 272 replies, has 212 voices, and was last updated by  Kathleen Garvey 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 273 total)
  • Author

Ginette
    Keymaster

Welcome amccarthy4!

You’ll find the list of PDF’s in a few places, one is when there’s one given out for the episodes, Season 1 Episode 1 doesn’t have any handouts but you can also find them listed on the Indexes where you can download here at the top of the page. Just below Season 1 & Season 2 Index links, there’s a third link that will take you to all the PDFs that have bee handed out so far.

The first pdf that was handed out is on Season 1 Episode 2 (you’ll see a little page icon top left corner under the eye icon)

Love how your toyhauler brought home the Harrisville Model T!

amccarthy4
    Participant

Hello!  I just joined a week ago and have spent every living hour watching videos!  Loving it!  I live in Tulsa Oklahoma.  I am a new weaver.  Took one class at a city art studio and loved it.  Went on vacation to Santa Fe in my toy hauler and brought a loom home as a souvenir!  My toyhauler usually hauls bikes or kayaks so it was fun to load my new/old 36 inch Harrisville model T in it.  Bought the whole stash of the elder woman who was retiring from weaving completely.   So I have only woven a scarf so far on my loom.  Found my direct tie up was tied up wrong and am learning so much.

I want to make Huck placemats but have 8/4 cotton not 8/2 and I can not find info on making drafts fit right with the stash I want to use.  I have started with season one and haven’t seen anything on drafts yet.  Am I missing it?

saddleblankets
    Participant

Hi friends, I’m Linda from a small town, Three Rivers, in California high up in the Sierra where  I live on a cattle ranch. I’ve been weaving for 40 years, specializing in saddle blankets which I sell all over the US and the UK. I spin all my natural wool, dye it with natural plants and weave on a big Cranbrook countermarch loom. For 26 years I’ve been weaving with wool warp at 6 epi. Imagine my challenges of moving on to 18 epi and more using cotton, silk, bamboo and other fine fibers.. Wowzers, has Jane changed my life. I’ve learned more in two years in this guild that all the other 38 years. It’s hard to teach an old dog new tricks but I’m thrilled daily that I found Jane and I LOVE every minute of weaving with her. I own five looms,: my Cranbrook,  a Macomber, a Nilus Leclerc, a Baby Wolf and a large 12 shaft J-Made. I still weave my blankets but am now sewing garments made of silk and other fine fibers. This Guild is the best thing that has happened to me in my weaving life and I love hearing about all of you and learning from you as well.

Giny
    Participant

Hi I am Giny Wittenberg from the Netherlands. I learned myself how to weave about 8 years ago and still love doing it. But I thought a bit more tips and tricks from a pro would be good. So here I am. I am a Louet seller in the Netherlands and in my studio there are a Jane, a David and an Octado. I used to work on a big 1.60 wide Glimakra loom, Loved it but it became to heavy to work with for me. So I will stay with my Louet looms now.

Married, 4 kids one still at home but almost off to Norway for a half year study, I live on a dairy farm with cows, 3 dogs and a cat.

Ginette
    Keymaster

Welcome Nancy!

Have you tried a higher bench? It must be so uncomfortable to be hitting the breast beam with your elbows! Love your profile name ‘shuttlekittens’, must be a story behind that 😉

shuttlekittens
    Participant

Just signed up for this guild and very excited!  🙂  I’m Nancy from Sunny Central Florida – and for some reason, looms seem to follow me home like little stray kittens.  “I don’t know Dear, how that loom popped up in the studio…I must have left the back door open again.”   My husband and I have an agreement – he doesn’t ask about my looms, I don’t ask about his classic cars.  Lol!

I’m not getting any younger, and hope in the not too distant future to try a countermarche loom.  I’m only 5′, and have found to get to the proper height for my elbows to clear the breast beam while weaving, it can be somewhat challenging to be comfortable with the treadles.  I have a Gilmore jack loom that I love, and I tie the treadles up fairly high so I don’t have to press them so far down.  I would like to try a countermarche, tough, as I have a knee/hip that aggravate me.  Any suggestions?

kfagan727
    Participant

I live near Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia i.e. Hunter  Valley

John Young
    Participant

Hi. I’m John from Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia. I first started weaving about 2 years ago when I retired (or re-retired). My wife would drag me around to all the knitting shops feeding her stash. A couple of them also carried weaving supplies and that interested me. Actually, I had been since I was a kid. There was always this question about “How does cloth go together?”. Well, I’m 67 now. My first loom was an Ashford 32” rigid heddle followed by an Ashford Inkle loom. I still have these, but they now have a big brother.

About a year and a half ago, I found an elderly but solid counterbalance loom. This is a model known as a Millville loom. That is a small town in New Brunswick, Canada where they were built, starting in the 1920s. They were built mainly of birds-eye maple and had an overhead beater. And… it has a built in lamp in the top of the castle. My nearest guess is, going by the serial number, around 1940 for mine. Apart from refurbishing the main cords, the only change I made was a recent upgrade to Texsolv heddles from the original flat type. It is really solid to weave on, just weighs a ton.

I love working with just about any fibre but for now, tencel is giving me a bit of a hard time.

And that stash my wife has… I think mine might be bigger. It’s an addiction.

joanldanp
    Participant

Hi:  My name is Joan and I live in rural Telkwa, which is in Northwest British Columbia.  I have been weaving on a rigid heddle loom for a couple of years and just recently purchased a (new-to-me) Leclerc 4 shaft Fanny loom.  I feel like I am a total beginner and so am really looking forward to learning from Jane’s online episodes.  There used to be a Guild in this Valley (Bulkley Valley) but it folded a few years ago and the closest (wonderful one) is 4 1/2 hours away – not a good drive in the winter.  So I’ll be learning on my own and really hoping online learning will work for me.  Oh yes, I’m 66 yrs. old and up until using the rigid heddle loom I hadn’t done a single craft in my life, no sewing, no knitting…..so this is all new and exciting to me!

margreth
    Participant

Hello, I‘m Margreth from Austria, I have joined this guild now – November 2018. I have been weaving for about ten years now. I started with a rigid heddle loom and in the meantime I have two big looms, one Öxabäck (8 shafts, 8 treadles) and a Louët Delta (12 shafts, 14 treadles). I love all the episodes, have learned a lot and am looking forward to try out as much as possible on my looms.

sjgriebling
    Participant

Hi, I am Sue and from Cincinnati, OH. I just have one loom – a Norwood that was given to me. I started weaving about 40 years ago, then had a pause until 6 years ago. I am enjoying taking it up again. I love the videos and even though I have taken a few classes, I am learning new ways to do things. I just joined (October, 2018) and decided to just start at the first class and work my way forward. Like most of you I also knit and spin.

msellenk
    Participant

Hi there! I’m Ellen, in Kansas City MO. I’ve played around with weaving for about 10 years, off and on. Learning a TON of great technique here. I have  2 looms right now: a Leclerc Dorothy with treadle/stand and a Leclerc Nilus, 45″ wide. Both are 4 harness and vintage. I’ve had other looms in the past including a 16h Weavebird, 4h Schacht table loom, and an 8h Mountain Loom (table) loom. I’ve been involved in pretty much *all* aspects of fiber arts for more than half a century (yikes, I am old, lol. 62 to be exact). Fiber farming, spinning, dyeing, knitting, knitwear design, felting, sewing quilting and (former) yarn shop owner. Okay, not sprang or bobbin lace 🙂

• This reply was modified 8 months ago by  msellenk.

brgila
    Participant

Shalom, My name is Gyla and I live in Israel.  I have been weaving on a Spring for 8 years.  I have also had many other looms in my weaving life and none wove as easily and smoothly as my Spring.  There are many features to admire on the Spring.  I too find it difficult to sit on the floor ( I am 65 and have arthritis) so I have invested in 4 additional treadles (8 shafts, 14 treadles).  I am hoping this will extend my weaving on the Spring a bit longer.  We all have our favorite tie ups and I am hoping to be able to permanently tie up several treadles and have a few free to tie up as needed.  This could be a solution for the Spring.  The second suggestion I have is:  When I need to tie up 8 treadles, my friend and I put the entire loom on 2 milk crates.  The loom is not heavy and this enables me to sit on a stool when I tie up the treadles.  My third suggestion is to think about buying an Octago Louet.  It is more expensive, and I would miss the treadling, but I am only getting older and I need to be realistic as to my needs.  I need to weave.  If I have to give up the enjoyment of treadling, at least I will be able to sit at the loom and continue to produce beautiful material.  Good luck to you all.

Michelle Simon
    Participant

Hi All…I’m enjoying your weaving comments….I, too, have ended up with two houses and too many looms (2 Glimakras, Wolf Pup, Schact, 2 table looms and inkle loom(s), tablet weaving, etc etc. (And I’m not even going to mention spinning wheels and yarn/fiber stashes). Good thing I’ve retired–and that I didn’t know how much I’d love weaving/spinning/quilting–or I never would have finished medical school and put up with all that nonsense for so long! I share all the concerns about tying up the Countermarch looms–but hope the ease of treadling will compensate for aging body issues! And the gliding foot accessories cushion some of the impact from beating to protect shoulders. I kind of like the idea of pulleys from the ceiling to suspend the big looms or, at least raise them, for ease of changing tie-ups–will have to work on that idea(LOL)! Getting up from the bench to advance the warp keeps me limber….and ensures regular breaks to move around…although the retrievers also contribute to keeping me moving!

Ettabb
    Participant

I also have lower back and hip (and knee) problems, and love my Louet David. It is easy to warp and treadle and the tieup is quick and easy.

I think with your hip issues it would be best to try before you buy if possible since it needs to work for your body…

• This reply was modified 8 months, 3 weeks ago by  Ettabb.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 273 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.