Look where we all live & Introductions

Weaving Supplies, Yarn & Looms Canada Forums Weaving Discussion Look where we all live & Introductions

This topic contains 279 replies, has 219 voices, and was last updated by  Annette Paez 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 280 total)
  • Author

scottleesheep
    Participant

Hello,

My name is Lee and live in Ontario, Canada. I have just purchased a 1983 Leclerc 4 shaft loom. I am excited to learn how to weave on it! Finding Jane’s online guild has been amazing! I am trying to figure out how to upload my profile picture.

Lee

latelierfibrelaine
    Participant

Hi. My name is Chloé. I live in France and I produce wool and mohair by raising sheep and Angora goats. I spin dye knit crochet… And one day Somebody gives me a floor loom and I jump in this art! I love to weave so much since one year. I have learned so much here  Thank you

ailazoom
    Participant

Hello from Minnesota. I have completed the lst season and am into the 2nd season. Enjoying the lessons. Plan to come to Vancouver and visit your shop in June of 2019. Should be a great experience!

shelley
    Participant

I am responding to ursula from Germany.  She says she weaves on an old Leclerc Artisat and is having trouble getting a good shed.  I have exactly the same problem with the same loom …. I bought it second hand and after cleaning it up and refurbishing started weaving only to find that it is really hard to make a shed.  it is almost like i have to ‘double-clutch”.  Any help, comments?

ursula
    Participant

Hi, my name is Ursula and I live in Germany. I am weaving for only two years and still have a lot to learn. I weave on an old Leclerc Artisat which has back hindge threadles and I’m allways fighting for a good shed. I’m looking forward to get some tipps.

mczmail
    Participant

Hi I’m Cheryl from Ontario Canada. I’ve just joined and I’m so excited to learn more about weaving. I have 3 floor looms, several spinning wheels and lots of wool and fibre, all things that I love. I have a little experience with weaving  and I’m a OHS spinning certificate grad. (2009.) I’ve been watching Janes video’s non-stop the last few days and I’m so excited and learning so much already. Looking forward to a great year.

bauman
    Participant

Hello I am Jutta and live in Tasmania an Island south of mainland Australia.

I weave for 30 years still so much to learn. Jane gave me already a new outlook. I am so happy to joined the guild and have this opportunity. Thank you Jane

Ginette
    Keymaster

Welcome amccarthy4!

You’ll find the list of PDF’s in a few places, one is when there’s one given out for the episodes, Season 1 Episode 1 doesn’t have any handouts but you can also find them listed on the Indexes where you can download here at the top of the page. Just below Season 1 & Season 2 Index links, there’s a third link that will take you to all the PDFs that have bee handed out so far.

The first pdf that was handed out is on Season 1 Episode 2 (you’ll see a little page icon top left corner under the eye icon)

Love how your toyhauler brought home the Harrisville Model T!

amccarthy4
    Participant

Hello!  I just joined a week ago and have spent every living hour watching videos!  Loving it!  I live in Tulsa Oklahoma.  I am a new weaver.  Took one class at a city art studio and loved it.  Went on vacation to Santa Fe in my toy hauler and brought a loom home as a souvenir!  My toyhauler usually hauls bikes or kayaks so it was fun to load my new/old 36 inch Harrisville model T in it.  Bought the whole stash of the elder woman who was retiring from weaving completely.   So I have only woven a scarf so far on my loom.  Found my direct tie up was tied up wrong and am learning so much.

I want to make Huck placemats but have 8/4 cotton not 8/2 and I can not find info on making drafts fit right with the stash I want to use.  I have started with season one and haven’t seen anything on drafts yet.  Am I missing it?

saddleblankets
    Participant

Hi friends, I’m Linda from a small town, Three Rivers, in California high up in the Sierra where  I live on a cattle ranch. I’ve been weaving for 40 years, specializing in saddle blankets which I sell all over the US and the UK. I spin all my natural wool, dye it with natural plants and weave on a big Cranbrook countermarch loom. For 26 years I’ve been weaving with wool warp at 6 epi. Imagine my challenges of moving on to 18 epi and more using cotton, silk, bamboo and other fine fibers.. Wowzers, has Jane changed my life. I’ve learned more in two years in this guild that all the other 38 years. It’s hard to teach an old dog new tricks but I’m thrilled daily that I found Jane and I LOVE every minute of weaving with her. I own five looms,: my Cranbrook,  a Macomber, a Nilus Leclerc, a Baby Wolf and a large 12 shaft J-Made. I still weave my blankets but am now sewing garments made of silk and other fine fibers. This Guild is the best thing that has happened to me in my weaving life and I love hearing about all of you and learning from you as well.

Giny
    Participant

Hi I am Giny Wittenberg from the Netherlands. I learned myself how to weave about 8 years ago and still love doing it. But I thought a bit more tips and tricks from a pro would be good. So here I am. I am a Louet seller in the Netherlands and in my studio there are a Jane, a David and an Octado. I used to work on a big 1.60 wide Glimakra loom, Loved it but it became to heavy to work with for me. So I will stay with my Louet looms now.

Married, 4 kids one still at home but almost off to Norway for a half year study, I live on a dairy farm with cows, 3 dogs and a cat.

Ginette
    Keymaster

Welcome Nancy!

Have you tried a higher bench? It must be so uncomfortable to be hitting the breast beam with your elbows! Love your profile name ‘shuttlekittens’, must be a story behind that 😉

shuttlekittens
    Participant

Just signed up for this guild and very excited!  🙂  I’m Nancy from Sunny Central Florida – and for some reason, looms seem to follow me home like little stray kittens.  “I don’t know Dear, how that loom popped up in the studio…I must have left the back door open again.”   My husband and I have an agreement – he doesn’t ask about my looms, I don’t ask about his classic cars.  Lol!

I’m not getting any younger, and hope in the not too distant future to try a countermarche loom.  I’m only 5′, and have found to get to the proper height for my elbows to clear the breast beam while weaving, it can be somewhat challenging to be comfortable with the treadles.  I have a Gilmore jack loom that I love, and I tie the treadles up fairly high so I don’t have to press them so far down.  I would like to try a countermarche, tough, as I have a knee/hip that aggravate me.  Any suggestions?

kfagan727
    Participant

I live near Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia i.e. Hunter  Valley

John Young
    Participant

Hi. I’m John from Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia. I first started weaving about 2 years ago when I retired (or re-retired). My wife would drag me around to all the knitting shops feeding her stash. A couple of them also carried weaving supplies and that interested me. Actually, I had been since I was a kid. There was always this question about “How does cloth go together?”. Well, I’m 67 now. My first loom was an Ashford 32” rigid heddle followed by an Ashford Inkle loom. I still have these, but they now have a big brother.

About a year and a half ago, I found an elderly but solid counterbalance loom. This is a model known as a Millville loom. That is a small town in New Brunswick, Canada where they were built, starting in the 1920s. They were built mainly of birds-eye maple and had an overhead beater. And… it has a built in lamp in the top of the castle. My nearest guess is, going by the serial number, around 1940 for mine. Apart from refurbishing the main cords, the only change I made was a recent upgrade to Texsolv heddles from the original flat type. It is really solid to weave on, just weighs a ton.

I love working with just about any fibre but for now, tencel is giving me a bit of a hard time.

And that stash my wife has… I think mine might be bigger. It’s an addiction.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 280 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.