Look where we all live & Introductions

Weaving Supplies, Yarn & Looms Canada Forums Weaving Discussion Look where we all live & Introductions

This topic contains 279 replies, has 219 voices, and was last updated by  Annette Paez 1 week, 1 day ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 280 total)
  • Author

msjabj2
    Participant

Hi everyone, I live in Tasmania Australia and I have been weaving for just over a year. Last year we were going on a European holiday and I had a fall so we couldn’t go. I have an Ashford 8 shaft table loom which I have worked to death, I love it but it didn’t have a shuttlerace,so when we were in Sydney I had a look at the Louet. Now, I am old and decrepit so because I fell in love with the Octado I had to get the computer Dobby, there is no way I could crawl under a loom to tie up and I didn’t know how. The only trouble is I am also technologically challenged, so happy days. Jane is a godsend and has helped me a lot. I was going to ask for a gap year as I couldn’t work the program that works the loom but super weaver to the rescue. Thank you Jane.

kristin_crane
    Participant

Hi Everyone! I’m new to the Guild this year and wanted to introduce myself. I live in Providence, Rhode Island and have been weaving for a little over 20 years. I actually graduated college with a degree in textile design, with a concentration in woven design from Philadelphia College of Textiles & Science. After college I worked at a mill designing fabric for jacquard looms for residential home furnishings. Sadly, the textile industry has changed dramatically since I graduated, and I no longer work in the industry, but….not designing fabric every day has made weaving at home much more appealing. I have a 16 harness Macomber loom and joined the guild because it’s actually been a challenge to turn off my industry brain. I wanted a framework to focus on new projects and new skills. I feel like this guild is really helping me learn to handweave again. I’m learning so much! Honestly, I have never wound such a neat warp that went on like butter, by myself! I’m having a blast learning new skills and having useful creative time outside of my day job. So excited to get to know you all and see what you make! Kristin

dlgorham
    Participant

hi – my name is Debbie Gorham.  I live in Wilsonville, Oregon which is close to Portland.  I’m so glad I joined the JST online guild.  I love weaving and learning about how to weave.

Nancy Sandstrom
    Participant

Hello all – I am from Bayfield, Wisconsin – in the far northern part of Wisconsin on Lake Superior (Bayfield is the home of the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore). I have been weaving for about 8 years. When I started weaving we still owned our business (an 8-room Inn that we ran for 20+ years), so a dabbled with my first loom —  an old 2 harness rug loom. Suddenly I found the looms reproducing as I got an 8 harness Harrisville……and then an 8 harness Baby Wolf….how does this happen?

We sold our business 3 years ago, now are retired (yeah, right!). I now still have the Baby Wolf for my “inside” loom and a LeClerc Fanny for my “porch loom” that sleeps during the winter months. Over the years I’ve taken numerous workshops and simply soak in the knowledge and different approaches to weaving.

I love continuing to learn, find new structures to play with. I am becoming ever more confident about my ability to try new things and have really enjoyed beginning to attach designing my own projects.  But I have miles to go before I sleep! Thank you all for sharing and letting me come on this journey with you all.

c.timothy
    Participant

I’m a new member and relatively new weaver. I spin so my hope is to be able to use my handspun to weave with. I have a new to me 8 shaft Hollandia and live just outside Victoria BC.

Denise Voss
    Participant

Hi, I’m Denise from Murrieta, Calif. (near San Diego) I’m a new weaver. I have a Leclerc Nilus 4 shaft loom that I bought used about a year ago. It is probably about 40 years old. I’ve just been dabbling on it, trying to learn from books and videos but when a friend turned me on to Jane and the online guild, my interest soared!! Wow! I am learning so much! I have been a garment sewer for 50 years and teach sewing and pattern fitting as my part-time retirement “gig”. My hope is to eventually be able to weave well enough to weave cloth that I can make garments from. This is all so exciting! In fact, I’m so excited that recently put down a deposit on an 8 shaft Louet Spring loom from Jane!

Anne in Alger
    Participant

It is interesting to read so many posts from all around the world.  I am fortunate enough to live near Saltspring island and have had the privilege of taking workshops from Jane in the past, she is a wonderful teacher and now I am thrilled to be participating in the online guild.  I have a Swedish countermarch 8 shaft loom and a couple of Schacht babywolf’s, one of which has a second back beam which I would like to try with supplemental warps someday. It will be fun to share our success’s  as well as learning pieces 😉 .  Discussions on using stash for some of these projects would be of interest to me, exploring and pushing boundaries  can be very interesting and practical for those of us that seem to insulate our homes with cones of yarn.

A note book with the printed PDFs filled in with notes from the videos has been started.  I also keep a project notebook which contains notes, photos, and a sample of the yarn used.  After 15 years of weaving I have filled several of them and find them valuable for planning the next project.  —Anne

Ed Chapman
    Participant

I just saw Jane’s Map and there is no pin on Washington DC! I have been a member going on two years now and LOVE the structure, format and logic Jane so skillfully shares. I started out weaving on a rigid heddle loom 4 years ago and moved on to a table loom then bought a Louet Spring from Jane. Having a wonderful time exploring color, weave structures and design. Its a great hobby!

jfranzak
    Participant

Hello!

I am Judi from the Eastern Shore of Maryland.  My holiday/birthday present this year was a Baby Wolf 4 shaft loom to launch me into the world of floor looms. I have woven on a rigid heddle for a year or so. I am a newbie to weaving but having been playing with color and shape for awhile through other media.  I am loving what I am learning here!

Dee Dee
    Participant

Hi WoolTherapy,

I downloaded all the PDFs onto my iPad and have them in an app called GoodNotes. I created a guild notebook, and added all the PDFs into it. The super cool thing is that I’m able to make annotations straight onto the PDF handouts (i ❤️ my Apple Pencil!), as well as add my own pages of notes/sketches.  The app I’m using also has great search function so I don’t have to page through to find what I’m looking for. It even recognizes my hand writing if I write legibly! And my notes are all in one place as well as up in the Cloud so that I can access them on my computer, my iPad, or on my phone—super bonus! I sound like an ad, but I’m not. 😊 I’ve been working on organization and trying to go paperless for the past few months, and this is just a great tool that has been working for me.

Janet
    Participant

Hello WoolTherapy,

I have printed everything and have placed all in binders.  Also, have taken my own notes and typed, printed and inserted them with tabs.  I know, I’m over organized.  However, I don’t weave in winter while here in Mazatlan for 6 months.  I make all copies here as it’s very inexpensive to do. I also plan projects and add them to the list of 50 or more that I’d like to make one day.

Jane mentioned an app. iweaveit , so I purchased it and have had tons of fun designing stuff.  It is so cool.  Of coarse I have all of Jane’s inspiration from her videos to feed on.

WoolTherapy
    Participant

Hey everyone! I decided 2019 was the year to be technical and LEARN. Dig deep into my weaving and understand it… not just do it. So, here I am.

An aside note, has anyone gone so far as to print EVERYTHING. Like all the notes, and make a folder? Hello staples or office max?

Lauren
    Participant

Hi Shiela, that’s my old neck of the woods and where my loom came from too! So nice to “meet” you here.

Sheila
    Participant

Hi everyone! My name is Sheila and I live in Courtenay B.C., just a stone’s throw up Vancouver Island from Jane! I have been weaving for only 9 months. I was gifted a 4 shaft Woolhouse table loom (with stand and treadles)  from my work team when I retired.  BEST GIFT EVER! And then I gifted myself this on-line guild! ANOTHER BEST GIFT EVER!!

jollyjeanne
    Participant

My name is Jeanne and live a quiet valley in the quiet rural corner of eastern Connecticut.  I am really impressed and enjoying this guild.  Looking forward to absorbing  and learning so much at a reasonable pace.    I appreciate all the effort put into this.  What a wonderful resource for all fiber enthusiasts!

I have been weaving for many years and guilds are not close by.  I have small looms, table looms to a large LeClerc Colonial, counter balance looms and now  an 8 shaft jack loom.  Weaving is so diversified that thus far I have merely skimmed the surface and probably need a few lifetimes to accomplish all I wish to do.  Presently, I cannot think of a better way to encourage my passion than through JST.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 280 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.