Look where we all live & Introductions

Weaving Supplies, Yarn & Looms Canada Forums Weaving Discussion Look where we all live & Introductions

This topic contains 283 replies, has 223 voices, and was last updated by  Debby 3 days, 16 hours ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 271 through 284 (of 284 total)
  • Author

Ginette
    Keymaster

Hi all,

I’ve been weaving for about 8-9  years and truly love the whole process of making cloth.  I love the fact that each thread passes through my fingers and to be able to create fabrics still blows my mind!  I’ve been weaving mostly tea towels in the last couple years.  I seem to be happily stuck doing these 😉  At one of Jane’s workshops a few years back, she said to us students that tea towels were like our canvases and that truly has stuck with me, so I continue to enjoy weaving them and explore colour possibilities and patterns.  I do weave other items, like scarves, baby blankets and shawls but at the moment, working with cottons are my preference!  I live on the West Coast of beautiful British Columbia in the Lower Mainland.

Ginette

Sue
    Participant

Hi, I’m Sue from Somerset UK.  I like the idea of these introductions, I hope more add their names over time. It certainly helps those of us from a bit farther away to feel more a part of this exciting project.

I started weaving about 4 years ago after I moved to Somerset. I met some weavers at a local craft fair and the spell was cast. I’m now a member of our local guild and we’re lucky to have good resources and the space to use them. We learn from each other and some attend National Summer School. I still feel  I’m a relative beginner so I look forward to gaining confidence and different ideas from Jane’s teaching. My daughter and family live in Vancouver and I hope to visit in the summer.

Christine
    Participant

I am Chris from Victoria BC. My rudimentary haiku sums it up very well.

i muck about in~oils pastels everything ~no subject defined

Long story short, I am an artist in transition. A number of years ago, I spun and wove but it was put away due to back surgery and painting. I love fibre and cloth, always have. This past year and a half has been a tough one, touched with loss and grief and the painting serine has not called. Knitting kept me sane and that has lead me back to exploring fibre again.

An old four harness floor loom landed in my lap in September, followed quickly by a reel. Who am I to argue. I also took back my big tapestry pipe loom from my DH, who was using it to hang his shirts. I have traded paint on all my clothes to bits of fibre and yarn following me around the house.

Seriously now. I want to learn how to weave with confidence and grow as a fibre artist.

Lorri
    Participant

I am Lorri from Western North Carolina. I was weaving a few years back but my farm took alot of my time back. It is not quite as busy so I took a refresher class 1 1/2 years ago. I have made linen towels, tencel scarf and currently cottolin towels. Spinning, hand- knitting and machine knitting are my current “other hobbies”.

Alissa Roode
    Participant

I’m Alissa, from Vancouver. I’ve been weaving for about 5-6 years, I think. After learning to spin, it seemed the next logical choice, and now it’s taken over all my spinning time! I took a weaving course at a local yarn store a few years ago and knew immediately that this was going to be trouble. Since then, I’ve tried to learn as much as I can from books and online sources, as well as one fantastic weekend course with Jane, and I’m constantly astounded at how much more there is to learn. I love pushing my limits, with more complicated drafts, finer threads, or interesting colour choices.

Ginette
    Keymaster

Oh that is so great Myles!  Very cool feature.  Thanks!

Myles English
    Participant

Hi Kathleen.  To upload a profile photo you need to go to http://en.gravatar.com/.

Sandra
    Keymaster

I’m just testing to see how our new feature works!  Sorry not to have a new weaving project to share, but maybe you have 😉

You can also add a photo if you have a question/problem and don’t have the words to totally describe it.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by  Sandra.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  Sandra.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by  Sandra.

Jill
    Participant

Hi, I am Jill Collins from Fort Worth, TX. I learned to weave over thirty years ago and fell in love with it. Sadly, I moved and didn’t have access to a weaving store. Mail order didn’t seem to work for me. So with retirement and the internet, I’ve decided I really want to weave again. I definitely needed a refresher course and I saw this online course advertised in a yarnworkers newsletter and decided to give it a go. I’m really looking forward to the year!

Kathleen McDonald
    Participant

Hi Rita – what process did you use to upload your photo to your profile picture? Thanks.

Rita
    Participant

Hi, My name is Rita McLaughlin and I am from Massachusetts. I am a beginner weaver. I am hoping to learn techniques to warp and dress my loom.

I am a handspinner and dabble in crochet, needle knitting (lots less) and loom knitting. I can remember visiting Old Sturbridge Village as a grade student, and watching the women weave. I have always wanted to learn.

in the early 1990’s, I took a handspinning class at Slater Mill in Pawtucket, and I have never looked back.

Sandra
    Keymaster

Great idea, Kathleen. I see you have written a mini bio under your profile where Guild members can find out a bit about you. I’ve done that as well and the following is what I’ve written about myself.

I’ve been weaving for over 20 years but only started to feel confident and creative as a weaver after Jane Stafford came into my life! I have an 8 shaft Louet David loom as well as a Woolhouse 12 shaft table loom. I love dyeing, knitting and reading about textiles around the world. My Ravelry name is Fibrelady and I’m Warpnweft as moderator for the JST Ravelry Group. I live in Vancouver, BC, Canada.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by  Sandra.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by  Sandra.

Kathleen McDonald
    Participant

Hi everyone – whenever I have done online classes, or joined a group we have often done introductions for other members. It makes us feel like a community even though we live miles apart. How do you feel about maybe stating your name and a general indication of where you are from, and relevant to this Guild, other fiber activities you engage in? and maybe how long you have been weaving? other weaving facts?
    I’ll start – I’m Kathleen McDonald (St Udent on FB weaving sites)and I live in Victoria, BC. I am the Victoria Handweavers and Spinner Guild’s librarian. As well as being a weaver, I also attempt spinning, some felting and sewing. I have been a weaver since the late ’70s when a friend showed me his mother’s Dorothy type loom saying he thought I might like it as I liked fiber and I seemed to be mechanical in nature! Little did he know the passion would last a lifetime.

Jane
    Keymaster

I’ve been wearing my propeller hat and looking at the viewing statistics for guild members around the world. It looks like every continent is represented with one exception – come on Antarctica, you’re letting the team down.

Screen Shot 2017-04-05 at 2.34.13 PM

Viewing 14 posts - 271 through 284 (of 284 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.