Look where we all live & Introductions

Weaving Supplies, Yarn & Looms Canada Forums Weaving Discussion Look where we all live & Introductions

This topic contains 284 replies, has 224 voices, and was last updated by  BARBARA MORSE 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 285 total)
  • Author

BARBARA MORSE
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 1
    • Totals: 1
    • Weaving weeble

Barb, from New Hampshire, USA.  I checked into the online guild to review how to make double weave blanket, but I’ve been watching from the beginning and learning so many “little” things that will help my weaving.  I’ve woven, on and off, for 10 years, but Jane covers so much, in such an understandable way, that I’m planning on watching all the episodes.  I love learning the “why” I should try a method and the “what if” sampling can provide.  Each episode answers so many questions I never knew I had!

Oh, and I will make the double weave blanket on my 8 shaft Harrisville 32″ loom.  And it will be easier and better because of all I learn here.

Debby
    Participant
    • Replies: 2
    • Totals: 2
    • Weaving weeble

My name is Debby and I live in Nova Scotia, Canada and have been studying about Weaving for quite a few years and I took one intermediate course a few years ago, but only recently got my 60” LeClerc couterbalance Loom up and ready. I have a Harrisville Shetland throw that I am working on but want to get started on my online samples. I love all that I am learning. So much more than a local guild would ever teach me! Jane, you are a great teacher!

Karen Powis
    Participant
    • Weaving weeble

Hello, I live near Wynndel in South Eastern British Columbia, Canada.  I enjoy knitting, spinning, dying, felting and all things fiber.  A friend gave me an old table loom and that got me started on my love of weaving which I’ve been learning for a few years.  It’s a 24″ table loom and I learned to use it standing up because I was having hip problems which made it uncomfortable to sit.  After starting the course, I realize I would like a floor loom and am looking for a good used one.  I love weaving and look forward to learning so much more.

Elisabeth Schelp
    Participant
    • Weaving weeble

Hello, fellow Online Guilded Ones!  I am Elisabeth and I live in the Philadelphia area.  I am learning to weave because I wanted to have something of my own to do and explore that would enable me to be productive and to grow while parenting four teenagers.  I mentioned to my sister that I was interested in weaving.  She happened to have two old looms someone had given her just lying dormant in her barn for a decade.  She told me that I could have them in exchange for a visit.  So one fun, snowy weekend last November, I drove to NH to visit her and get my looms.  One is a four shaft Harrisville, the other is a four shaft Leclerc Nilus, neither of which were in great shape.  I refurbished the Harrisville (they specially made the parts I needed) and have been joyfully learning to weave.  I knew I had won the ultimate approval when my son’s friend walked in the house and asked, “What’s that?!”  My son responded, “That’s a loom because my Mom is extra!”  I am so grateful to have found this guild and you as my helpful companions along the way!

Cheryl Wilner
    Participant
    • Weaving weeble

Hi Everyone,  I live in eastern North Carolina, US.  I joined the Guild after purchasing a “new to me” 1979 Leclerc Colonial.  Have had a ‘bug” to learn to weave for several years.  I guess I have had a fairly normal progression/obsession with fiber arts.  Learning to knit, crochet, do needle work and quilt fairy young from my grand mother.  I started spinning about 10 years ago and then is seemed the logical next step.  So happy to have found the wealth of great information and learning here.

Annette Paez
    Participant
    • Weaving weeble

Hello, I’m Annette from El Paso, Tx. I started weaving a couple of years back but would take a class then life would get in the way.  I wouldn’t weave for quite a while, so by the time I would weave, I had lots of questions and no one to ask. (No weavers in this part of Texas.) So these videos have made my weaving life sooooo much easier. Lots of moments where I think, that’s where I went wrong! I’m so glad to be part of this guild!

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by  Annette Paez.

Kath Gerrard
    Participant
    • Weaving weeble

Hi – I’m in Luton, England (about 30 miles North of London). I have a 32inch 4-shaft Ashford table loom with the stand and treadles. I have been weaving for almost  year and am excited to join the Online Guild- Jane’s tutorials are so helpful and are giving me lots of confidence to develop my skills and try new techniques. I am currently weaving an overshot scarf reading the draft from Handwoven magazine- I never thought I would be able to get the hang of that! Thank you, Jane!

sylvia.lowry
    Participant
    • Replies: 20
    • Totals: 20
    • Weaving wonder

Hi Gale,
    I just read your post. I too am from Ontario, Toronto. I have already reached that time when I can no longer get under the loom but I solved the problem a different way which might interest you. I purchased the Leclerc Compact which is virtually the same as a Baby Wolf. If you fold up the loom so that the back beam is out of the way, you can sit at a low stool and tie up from there. My arthritic hands would not be happy with a 16 shaft table loom. Happy weaving for many years to come.

Debbie Hadfield
    Participant
    • Weaving weeble

Greetings to all,

Debbie here –  I live in southwestern PA in a borough called Thornburg. While in a knitting guild, I participated in a make and take at a weaving cabin in Harmony PA. I had the opportunity to create a rug that day and that is the day the weaving bug bit me. One of the members in the knitting guild had a loom that she was getting ready to sell. I had told of my weaving adventure and the lady inquired whether I would be interested in purchasing her loom, a mighty wolf loom. That was three years ago, it’s the best purchase that I have ever made. She also provided books and thread to use with the loom. Recently, a fiber group that I am a current member of organized a group to participate in a county fair fleece to shawl event. Our team took third place and the first team to weave the required 80″, we had a second team from our fiber group that took 4th place and their shawl was also 80″.

As I look forward to expanding my knowledge of weaving I found Jane Stafford online guild and decided to give it a try. I have learn new tips and reinforced what I currently know in regards to warping a loom.

Christina
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 10
    • Totals: 15
    • Weaving wonder

Hi,

I am Christina and live on a small farm just outside of Chicago, in Illinois, USA.  I just started weaving- maybe 2 months ago. I had signed up for the online guild a while back, but found myself feeling oddly intimidated by setting up the loom and such. I took a short class with a local instructor on a two harness loom, and that is all it took….no more fear! Figured out how to assemble my, new to me, 45” counterbalance loom and now I am a weaving fool. I find it mind blowing, since I have been a knitter for years, that it is all in the setup, and once heddled and sleyed, bam, there appears the pattern before my eyes. I still can’t believe I don’t have to “do” something to make that happen 😂.

I will probably be here a lot asking oodles of questions 😊 I love the guild episodes- they are so easy to follow, methodical and crystal clear.

Thank you!

Ila McCallum
    Participant
    • Topics: 2
    • Totals: 3
    • Weaving weeble

Hello!  I am Ila McCallum and live in Woodburn, Oregon in the beautiful Willamette Valley. I have been weaving for 8 years or so and  love it.  So glad to have had a friend recommend this online guild to me.  Loving it!  I have watched Season 1 videos and learned so-o-o-o much.  On to Season 2–my order of the yarn kits will soon be here! Can’t wait!

lwilson
    Participant
    • Weaving weeble

Hi, I’m Linda from southern Maryland in the US.  I spent my last three college credits on a weaving class in 1984 and have been weaving off and on since then, along with knitting, spinning, and dyeing.  My main loom is a 40″ 10 shaft Macomber plus I have several others ranging from a 24″ Baby Mac, a 16″ Louet Jane table loom to rigid heddles, inkle, and bandweaving looms.  I’m enjoying this online course very much and have picked up several new-to-me techniques and tricks, especially using rubber bands while taking the warp off a board and winding multiple ends at a time.  I’m usually not very organized but have started a binder notebook for the PDFs with my notes on them to keep them all in one place instead of in the dozen or so steno notepads I have scattered all over the house.

Now on to sleying the color-and-weave sample!

Kathleen Garvey
    Participant
    • Weaving weeble

Hi, my name is Kath,I live in County Durham, North East of England. I am 68 years old. I love must things crafty. Quilting Crocheting knitting and Weaving and Spinning. I only took up weaving last year with a Rigid Heddle Loom. Which I loved, but wanted to be able to create more patterns. I would have liked a floor loom but that is not in my future right now, so I purchased a 32” 8 shaft Ashford Table loom. Which I love. I badly need to get the stand to go with it as using it on a table is not so comfortable because the height is not correct. Plus the stand allows you to have 4 treadles which would be great for 4 shaft patterns.

I am looking forward to start watching Janes videos. I have seen a few on YouTube which were very good so I no I won’t be disappointed.

Happy Weaving

Kath

mops-44
    Participant
    • Weaving weeble

Hi! I’m Jody from Marquette,  MI on the shore of Lake Superior. I love ALL things fiber and whereas self-taught knitting,  spinning and dyeing went relatively smooth,  weaving did not!  I’m so,  so grateful for the online guild here.  I’m moving forward with confidence and enjoyment! Thank you!

Gale
    Participant
    • Replies: 4
    • Totals: 4
    • Weaving weeble

Hello, I’m Gale from Petrolia, Ontario. I learned to spin in New Zealand while backpacking there & in Australia for a year. Once home & taking further lessons I saw students at looms & the rest is history. I have a 45″ 4 harness Le Clerc, 8 harness Baby Wolf & recently added an Ashford 16 harness table loom for the time coming soon when I can no longer crawl under the loom.

I heard Jane speak at a seminar many years ago & have been a fan ever since. On my bucket list was a trip to Salt Spring Island for a week long class. Jane, I’m sorry I couldn’t take classes in person, but these on line classes are just the ticket. Look forward to seeing you in October at the OHS Conference.

Cheers, Gale

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 285 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.