Look where we all live & Introductions

Weaving Supplies, Yarn & Looms Canada Forums Weaving Discussion Look where we all live & Introductions

This topic contains 272 replies, has 212 voices, and was last updated by  Kathleen Garvey 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 273 total)
  • Author

Kathleen Garvey
    Participant

Hi, my name is Kath,I live in County Durham, North East of England. I am 68 years old. I love must things crafty. Quilting Crocheting knitting and Weaving and Spinning. I only took up weaving last year with a Rigid Heddle Loom. Which I loved, but wanted to be able to create more patterns. I would have liked a floor loom but that is not in my future right now, so I purchased a 32” 8 shaft Ashford Table loom. Which I love. I badly need to get the stand to go with it as using it on a table is not so comfortable because the height is not correct. Plus the stand allows you to have 4 treadles which would be great for 4 shaft patterns.

I am looking forward to start watching Janes videos. I have seen a few on YouTube which were very good so I no I won’t be disappointed.

Happy Weaving

Kath

mops-44
    Participant

Hi! I’m Jody from Marquette,  MI on the shore of Lake Superior. I love ALL things fiber and whereas self-taught knitting,  spinning and dyeing went relatively smooth,  weaving did not!  I’m so,  so grateful for the online guild here.  I’m moving forward with confidence and enjoyment! Thank you!

Gale
    Participant

Hello, I’m Gale from Petrolia, Ontario. I learned to spin in New Zealand while backpacking there & in Australia for a year. Once home & taking further lessons I saw students at looms & the rest is history. I have a 45″ 4 harness Le Clerc, 8 harness Baby Wolf & recently added an Ashford 16 harness table loom for the time coming soon when I can no longer crawl under the loom.

I heard Jane speak at a seminar many years ago & have been a fan ever since. On my bucket list was a trip to Salt Spring Island for a week long class. Jane, I’m sorry I couldn’t take classes in person, but these on line classes are just the ticket. Look forward to seeing you in October at the OHS Conference.

Cheers, Gale

lsegolf
    Participant

I’m Linda, from Colorado Springs.  I have been weaving sporadically for about 6 years; self/video taught.  Over the years I have developed some bad habits and with practice and Jane’s teaching that is beginning to change.  I recently retired and this online guild was a gift from my husband.  I have a Schacht Standard 8 shaft, a 4 shaft Baby Wolf, and an Ashford rigid heddle loom, three spinning wheels, several sewing machines and enough fabric/yarn/fiber to cover most of the state.

zephyrcreekfarm
    Participant

Hello!

My name is Ellen and I own a small farm in the Michigan Thumb (just north of Detroit).  We raise Romeldale CVM sheep and angora rabbits.  I knit, spin, and am excited to learn to weave.  I have a Union Rug loom, gifted to me by the original owners granddaughter, and a Gallinger floor loom.  I have already watched much of season one, and am excited to get started on my next project.

Donna
    Participant

Hi there, I am a weaving newbie from the frozen north, but fortunate enough to spend my winter in Sunny Arizona.

Bought a rigid heddle last August and made the leap to a Baby Wolf about a month ago.

I am so incredibly happy that I found this guild before I had a chance to learn any more bad habits than I already had.

This has been quite the learning curve for me. Loving everything.  <3

pattiwarmenhoven
    Participant

Hello,

Like several others on this forum, I am newly retired and new to weaving.  This instruction is awesome!

I am in Green Bay, Wisconsin.

sunshein21
    Participant

Hi, I’ve been weaving for about 10 years. Now have an 8-shaft Baby Wolf and 8-shaft Glimakra as well as an inkle loom.

I learned to weave in Seattle, WA, where I also was a member of the Seattle Weavers Guild. After moving to Bahrain and not finding any active weavers, I started having “guild withdrawal symptoms”. A chance search netted me Sarah Resnick’s podcast “Weave” led me to the episode with Jane….

msjabj2
    Participant

Hi everyone, I live in Tasmania Australia and I have been weaving for just over a year. Last year we were going on a European holiday and I had a fall so we couldn’t go. I have an Ashford 8 shaft table loom which I have worked to death, I love it but it didn’t have a shuttlerace,so when we were in Sydney I had a look at the Louet. Now, I am old and decrepit so because I fell in love with the Octado I had to get the computer Dobby, there is no way I could crawl under a loom to tie up and I didn’t know how. The only trouble is I am also technologically challenged, so happy days. Jane is a godsend and has helped me a lot. I was going to ask for a gap year as I couldn’t work the program that works the loom but super weaver to the rescue. Thank you Jane.

kristin_crane
    Participant

Hi Everyone! I’m new to the Guild this year and wanted to introduce myself. I live in Providence, Rhode Island and have been weaving for a little over 20 years. I actually graduated college with a degree in textile design, with a concentration in woven design from Philadelphia College of Textiles & Science. After college I worked at a mill designing fabric for jacquard looms for residential home furnishings. Sadly, the textile industry has changed dramatically since I graduated, and I no longer work in the industry, but….not designing fabric every day has made weaving at home much more appealing. I have a 16 harness Macomber loom and joined the guild because it’s actually been a challenge to turn off my industry brain. I wanted a framework to focus on new projects and new skills. I feel like this guild is really helping me learn to handweave again. I’m learning so much! Honestly, I have never wound such a neat warp that went on like butter, by myself! I’m having a blast learning new skills and having useful creative time outside of my day job. So excited to get to know you all and see what you make! Kristin

dlgorham
    Participant

hi – my name is Debbie Gorham.  I live in Wilsonville, Oregon which is close to Portland.  I’m so glad I joined the JST online guild.  I love weaving and learning about how to weave.

Nancy Sandstrom
    Participant

Hello all – I am from Bayfield, Wisconsin – in the far northern part of Wisconsin on Lake Superior (Bayfield is the home of the Apostle Islands National Lakeshore). I have been weaving for about 8 years. When I started weaving we still owned our business (an 8-room Inn that we ran for 20+ years), so a dabbled with my first loom —  an old 2 harness rug loom. Suddenly I found the looms reproducing as I got an 8 harness Harrisville……and then an 8 harness Baby Wolf….how does this happen?

We sold our business 3 years ago, now are retired (yeah, right!). I now still have the Baby Wolf for my “inside” loom and a LeClerc Fanny for my “porch loom” that sleeps during the winter months. Over the years I’ve taken numerous workshops and simply soak in the knowledge and different approaches to weaving.

I love continuing to learn, find new structures to play with. I am becoming ever more confident about my ability to try new things and have really enjoyed beginning to attach designing my own projects.  But I have miles to go before I sleep! Thank you all for sharing and letting me come on this journey with you all.

c.timothy
    Participant

I’m a new member and relatively new weaver. I spin so my hope is to be able to use my handspun to weave with. I have a new to me 8 shaft Hollandia and live just outside Victoria BC.

Denise Voss
    Participant

Hi, I’m Denise from Murrieta, Calif. (near San Diego) I’m a new weaver. I have a Leclerc Nilus 4 shaft loom that I bought used about a year ago. It is probably about 40 years old. I’ve just been dabbling on it, trying to learn from books and videos but when a friend turned me on to Jane and the online guild, my interest soared!! Wow! I am learning so much! I have been a garment sewer for 50 years and teach sewing and pattern fitting as my part-time retirement “gig”. My hope is to eventually be able to weave well enough to weave cloth that I can make garments from. This is all so exciting! In fact, I’m so excited that recently put down a deposit on an 8 shaft Louet Spring loom from Jane!

Anne in Alger
    Participant

It is interesting to read so many posts from all around the world.  I am fortunate enough to live near Saltspring island and have had the privilege of taking workshops from Jane in the past, she is a wonderful teacher and now I am thrilled to be participating in the online guild.  I have a Swedish countermarch 8 shaft loom and a couple of Schacht babywolf’s, one of which has a second back beam which I would like to try with supplemental warps someday. It will be fun to share our success’s  as well as learning pieces 😉 .  Discussions on using stash for some of these projects would be of interest to me, exploring and pushing boundaries  can be very interesting and practical for those of us that seem to insulate our homes with cones of yarn.

A note book with the printed PDFs filled in with notes from the videos has been started.  I also keep a project notebook which contains notes, photos, and a sample of the yarn used.  After 15 years of weaving I have filled several of them and find them valuable for planning the next project.  —Anne

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 273 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.