Jane teaching in Ethiopia at Sabahar

Weaving Supplies, Yarn & Looms Canada Forums Weaving Discussion Jane teaching in Ethiopia at Sabahar

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Ed Chapman 3 weeks, 3 days ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Ed Chapman
    Participant

Love the moth and caterpillar pictures- I am an AP Bio teacher by trade. I did no know Africa had a silk moth, and that it eats castor leaves! Very cool. It makes me happy to now there is such biodiversity amongst moths that CAN make commercially useful silk.

Sue
    Participant

What a wonderful experience for you all. Look forward to seeing the eri silk shawl. The silk looks beautiful as a weft on the loom.  Thanks so much for sharing your  visit with us Jane

Ginette
    Keymaster

A few more pictures from Jane! 🙂

Sabahar has a new R&D department!

For the past 2 weeks I have been working with Antone, Ermais and Ayelle setting up the Research and Development Department at Sabahar.

We made several warps all in search of multiple textures from one warp. This 40/2 cotton warp was very successful. Over 10 samples we tested, different combinations of materials, cotton, silk, wool and experimented with different beating techniques.

The warp yarns available to weavers at Sabahar are limited and all of them are very fine. One of their customers asked them for a heavier fabric for cotton blankets so we made a warp using 8 strands of 40/2 cotton as one warp and we learned about twills. This was very successful and the fabric is lovely.

We explored different treadlings.

We cut off and re-sleyed, introducing denting to the warp and wove in plain weave.

And we played with clasped weft.

We really did accomplish a great deal in 2 weeks. We solved issues with linen warps, made fat yarns out of skinny yarns, tried new techniques, opened up the setts of current products for a different hand. After we had our review, Ermais presented all we had learned to the greater body of weavers at Sabahar.

This was so wonderful, all the sharing 🙂

After our meeting I was presented with a stunning Eri silk shawl and blubbered like a baby. I really think I’m the luckiest girl alive.

Thank you team Sabahar, see you next year…xoxoxoxo

Ginette
    Keymaster

From Jane 🙂

Meet my new friends!

Sabahar is the pioneer of Eri Silk production in Ethiopia. These little fellers are almost ready to start spinning.

An Eri Silk Worm Condo

They only eat Castor leaves which grow plentifully in Ethiopia.

Just to give you an idea on how chubby they are 🙂

This leaf will be done in about an hour. When they get to this size, they are voracious eaters.

This is what they will turn into in about 2 weeks time.

And this is what they leave behind….beautiful silk! Eri silk worms are the only silk worm that spins a staple fibre. They do not spin a hard cocoon like Tussar or Bombyx which can be reeled.

• This reply was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by  Ginette.

Jacqueline
    Participant

Really enjoy seeing these photos and what a great experience for both Jane and the weavers!

Ginette
    Keymaster

Here’s a few more pictures from Jane today!

We made a new warp today. Ermais and I designed a new warp today using 8 strands of 40/2 cotton as 1 end trying to create a heavier cotton fabric for blankets.

We then had to turn our 2 harness loom into 4 because we are weaving the blankets in twill.

Voila, now we have 4!

Threaded and sleyed

I also introduced denting on the linen….several stripes right in the middle of the warp.

A close up of the denting

This is a 20 metre warp, all wrapped up lying on the floor. It is tensioned around a centre metal post approximately 4 yards away from the weaver….kind of like a tree in back strap weaving.

We have also been working on solving some linen warp issues in the main weaving studio. We have reduced the number of ends used to make the warp to reduce tangling as it advances….it has worked beautifully!

And here we have 2 very happy weavers at the end of the day. We cut off so we could wash it over the weekend and see what it looks like. I’ve got about 15 metres in my hand.

awenyarrow
    Participant

How wonderful! I would love to have an experience like this.

Ginette
    Keymaster

Hi all,

We wanted to share a few pictures of Jane’s amazing adventure in Ethiopia where she is teaching at Sabahar

If you have a few minutes, do visit their website. They are so inspiring!

A few members of my team. We have just solved some issues with a linen warp and everyone is happy.

IMG_7912

Fulling wool samples at Sabahar, Addis Ababa Ethiopia

IMG_7907

New design testing out texture.  Wool warp with hand spun Eri silk weft.

IMG_3304

IMG_7910

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.