Jane Loom Winding on the Warp

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 1 – Foundation Jane Loom Winding on the Warp

Tagged: ,

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Pat Longworth
      Participant

I know a couple of you out there said you had a Jane Loom.  I have started to wind on the warp, but every time I let go of the turn knob, to straighten some threads, it unwinds, the minute I let go of it.  Very Frustrating!  Is there not some way of locking it so it doesn’t slip back.  It will lock so you can’t turn it forward, but not to wind on.  I bought this loom used, so wondered if it is missing something, but it looks the same as the picture.  On the picture Jane has done, she is kneeling beside it and winding it on.  On the video on the guild episodes, she doesn’t talk about winding on the warp.

Nina Kennedy
        Participant

Hi Pat

There should be a pawl on both the warp beam and the cloth beam on the Jane table loom. The pawl would lock into the ratchet on the beam. I have enclosed a photo (my loom is folded up but you can see the pawl and ratchet). If you have the pawl and ratchet but it is not locking in the direction you need is it possible the warp is being wound on the wrong way? It has been a little while since I have warped my Jane loom so I am trying to remember how the warp winds on!

NinaIMG_1817

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by Nina Kennedy.
            Ginette
            Keymaster

I tried to blow up the picture and it looks like you’re winding on clockwise.  The Jane loom needs to wind on counterclockwise like Nina mentions.  It also looks like the paw is not on the rachet to stop it from going back.

Pat Longworth
            Participant

Untitled design (8)This has to be the back because the reed is swinging at the front. When I flip the reed over to thread the heddles, it doesn’t go back all the way.  I looked to see if the pawl would go on the other side of the gear, but there is no hole there for it.

Nina Kennedy
              Participant

Hmmm – looks like it is right but I can’t see from the photo if the warp is going round the warp beam clockwise or counterclockwise (i.e. when you are standing looking at the loom from the side you took your photo, is the warp going around the back of the loom straight down and around the warp beam or is it going down and back around the beam counterclockwise). I wish I could remember how it is supposed to go! Maybe Jane or someone else will weigh in on this question???

Sandra
                Keymaster

I don’t have a Jane loom so I haven’t weighed in on this subject.  However, there is a world of Q&As that can be found on the JST Helpline (see tab just below the Online Guild Forum to your left on the JST web page) and specific ones on the Jane.  If you can’t find your answer there – let us know.

Pat Longworth
                  Participant

Sorry, I don’t get it. Yes I am winding clockwise.  I followed the PDF to the letter.  I don’t understand how it is possible to wind it counter clockwise.

Ginette
                      Keymaster

Hi Pat,

Wind on counterclockwise, the reason the Jane loom winds differently is so that you can insert the paper easier onto the back roller and have better access to it when the loom is on a table.  My instructions doesn’t mention which direction to turn it but on the top picture of page 8 if you have the same as mine, it shows the lashing cord that are fixed to the roller going on top of it.  Give it a try and let us know.

Pat Longworth
                      Participant

But if you look at page 9, it goes over the back beam and around the roller.    So are you saying I need to take everything off?

Ginette
                          Keymaster

No, don’t take anything off.  Your warp on the back piece is going in the right direction, that’s where you want it to be.  Just turn the handle counterclockwise instead of clockwise to wind on.

Pat Longworth
                          Participant

It worked!  Thank you so much ladies.  Sorry for being so dense, but it might be good to include that little element into the PDF for people like me!  Have a great dayt!

Ginette
                              Keymaster

So glad it’s all set!  Happy weaving!

Viewing 7 reply threads
                          • The forum ‘Season 1 – Foundation’ is closed to new topics and replies.