Is a handspun wool dented scarf even feasible?

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 3 – Pushing the Boundaries of Plain Weave Is a handspun wool dented scarf even feasible?

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Amanda
      Participant

I have handspun wool that has a good amount of lengthwise elasticity to it. I would love to show it off in something like a dented weave where it can shake loose and fill in the spaces so you can see the beautiful structure of the yarn itself.

Is it feasible to use it as the warp? It is certainly strong enough to stand up to weaving, but how to deal with the elasticity under tension? Simply leave elongated spaces and check it with the tension off?

Sandra
        Keymaster

I hate to say this, Amanda but ……. it depends 😉  Is it plied, how fine is it? It might felt rather than float during the finishing process.  It also might collapse in a way you are not expecting when it’s taken off the loom.  I just had a miserable warp using a singles wild silk (not handspun).  It seemed strong enough at the time, but it just wasn’t stable enough under constant tension and warp thread after warp thread just kept breaking.  The beauty in the way that Jane planned these scarves is that the two yarns have similar strength and shrink rates.  I know handspun is precious, but I would rather weave a sample and finish it before putting that wonderful yarn in a warp.  Please keep us posted.

Amanda
          Participant

Sandra, it’s chain plied worsted weight. It will only felt if I’m rough or machine wash it.

Sandra
              Keymaster

Hi Amanda, I was thinking in terms of the washing you would need to do to get the warp floating 😏.  Are you using the handspun as weft as well?  Why don’t you put on a warp, including enough to sample the way you are hoping to weave it.  If the results aren’t what you are looking for, you can redent and still have an amazing scarf to show off your beautiful handspun.  Also, if you are on Ravelry – Jane Stafford’s Group has some examples of dented scarves using handspun in the Denting thread.

Amanda
              Participant

is this forum is broken? It says I replied a minute ago but I don’t see it.

Sandra
                  Keymaster

No, it’s not broken, Amanda.  I just checked your profile and there doesn’t seem to be a post that has ended up in the wrong thread.  I have this happen to me in different apps or programs and I just assume that it’s a glitch at my end.  Could you please try again?

Amanda
                  Participant

It’s feasible. Added a good sized “window” during weaving – 1.5” tall to 1” wide.

8650D45D-F00D-4EA4-9CDC-DBED75C303ED971FD99C-220A-4C3C-880E-CD13DA10A0DB

996DEE15-C52C-4C1F-98D1-4B8AACC4078010D3FAF9-6C80-4C78-88EF-A93418FA3E63

I don’t know how to fix the sideways photos, sorry.

Ginette
                      Keymaster

It’s beautiful Amanda, just love the colours!

Viewing 4 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.