help with bobbin winder?

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Lana 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Lana
    Participant

Hi Ginette,

Thanks for responding.  We cleaned it completely and found no broken gears but did find a small crescent of metal that may have worn off the sleeve that goes around the axle and interfered with the meshing to the gears.  (Sorry, I don’t know any better language for this.)   Then we put in new grease.  It works much better, and it’s functional, but seems to skip a bit.  My mechanical other half seems to think it needs to be filed smooth on the end to fit correctly.  But I’m winding bobbins again, so all is well.

Lana

Ginette
    Keymaster

Hi Lana,

Have you sorted out your bobbin winder? I’ve had issues with mine in the past, on old ones. Since the grease seems ok inside, what do the bearings look like? Is something stuck? Usually when they don’t want to turn easily, it’s the grease so I’m not sure what could be wrong.

Lana
    Participant

Hello,

Hoping to pick collective brains with this. . . I have a Nilus Leclerc manual bobbin winder about 10 years old.  Lately it’s getting cranky and harder to turn.  It’s not supposed to need oiling and be permanently greased inside (plus there doesn’t seem to be anywhere to oil).  I’ve taken it apart twice.  There’s lots of grease in there and doesn’t appear to be much that can go wrong.  I smeared the grease around a little, making sure everything important is coated.  It may be slightly better but doesn’t seem like it is as it should be.  Does anyone have similar experience or an ideas to help?  Thanks to all.

Lana

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.