Heddles all in one side after threading

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 1 – Foundation Heddles all in one side after threading

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Syl
      Participant

Hello.  On the videos, the heddles are always perfectly aligned with the perfectly even space between each one. My heddles are so unevenly spaced that I doubt i’ll ever be able to space then evenly not just on one shaft but on the four shafts.

When i threaded, I pushed the heddles to one side -way to the right, out of the way- after I finished counting a batch. Now all the ends are through but the heddles are all tightly pushed together on the right side (by the way i’m working on a four shafts table loom). Is there a trick to spreading them back evenly on each shaft? I put new texsolv on each shaft and they’re not sliding well . I’ve worked on the first shaft and the heddles are somewhat less unevenly spaced because i can see both top and bottom of the shaft but they’re still a long way from being evenly spaced. I tried the other shafts but it’s not going well.  I push either too far left and then too far right and the bottom of the heddle never seem to be perfectly lined up with the top because i can’t really see both bottom and top with the other shafts in front. Lining up heddles is worst than herding cats.  I hope i won’t need a ruler to measure distance between each heddle and then a square to make sure that each heddle is straight. I thought that 3 hours to warp the loom and 5 to thread was slow but that could add another week to my project!

Thank you for reading my sorry story and thank you for any tips anyone can have.

Jane
        Keymaster

Hi Sylvia,
          I usually keep most of my heddles on the left. I’m right handed and thread right to left. I bring the heddles in close to where the threads are coming off the back beam. They seem to just sort themselves out. I certainly don’t measure anything. You do have to bring them into proximity of where they are supposed to be. I don’t thread them all over on the left.
          Hope this helps,
          Jane

Syl
            Participant

Hi Jane,

Thank you

I had all the heddles on the left when i started,  threading right to left as you showed us. I threaded a bundle, counted, checked, and if that bundle was correct I pushed it to the far right of the shaft so that bundle stayed out of my sight and out of my way. I repeated for each bundle so when i finished , I had pushed every heddle threaded to the right.  It meant that the warp was forced at an angle on the right.

So when it came time to sleying, all the heddles needed to be spaced out and back to where they belong in relation to the line of the warp. Unfortunately this is proving very difficult to do. I realise now that the problem is that the heddles are  not lining up with where the thread started on the back beam. I’ll do my best realigning them and hopefully they’ll move into proper alignment as i weave.

I hope to remember next time i thread that i need to keep the heddles in the proximity of where they’re supposed to be.

Your videos are extremely well done and have allowed me to get to the stage i’m at now. Thank you.

Jane
              Keymaster

Hi Sylvia,
                I was just looking at at loom that we just threaded. The heddles aren’t in perfect alignment put they will move a bit when I start weaving. As long as they are in the proximity…the general area I’m sure all will be fine. Don’t fuss about it too much. They don’t have to be perfect. 🙂
                See what happens when you start of weave.
                Cheers,
                Jane

Caroline
              Participant

I have wondered about balance across the harnesses.  I start threading from right to left.  Then I have leftover heddles all empty on the left side of the harness.  Does this unbalance the loom/weaving?  When I wove on my Glimakra loom I always counted all my threads on each harness before I started to thread so I had enough heddles on each harness and each side of the middle of the loom.  I weave on a Spring now.   I don’t think it matters too much with texsolv but metal heddles might be heavier.  Not sure but not really a big deal.

Viewing 2 reply threads
            • The forum ‘Season 1 – Foundation’ is closed to new topics and replies.