Hard treadling on an old Fanny

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 1 – Foundation Hard treadling on an old Fanny

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Patricia Connolly
      Participant

I recently warped my old Fanny whom I have not used for a bit. The warp went on well but treadle 1 .. the farthest on left.. is much harder to lift than the others. None are really that easy and my shed is not as wide as I remember. The warp is 8/2 at 18 epi and the difficult treadle is tied to harnesses 1 and 2. My treadle cords are 6 inches long. I’ve tried longer ones and it doesn’t seem to help. I love this old girl and want her to work well… if anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate it!

yezemin
        Participant

I don’t know how the Fanny works.

With my Louet Hollandia the harness problems come usually from entangled cords at the harnesses. It starts with being harder to lift and ends with complete blockage. Finding the entangled cords is sometimes a really pain.

It also can happen that a cord slips from it’s roller (and get’s slowly shredded). The Hollandia is a parallel countermarche.

Did you check if your treadles are connected the right way? I managed once a harness problem by connecting a harness the wrong way to the treadles. That way the harness was’nt able to move up, when it should.

Patricia Connolly
          Participant

Thank you for your response. I also have a Hollandia and it is a coutetmarche loom and the Fanny is a counterbalance.. so they operate differently. My cords are not crossed..I know how that can be a problem on the Hollandia!

Jan Schumacher
            Participant

Hi Patricia,

I have an old Fanny loom, too.  What you’ve described isn’t a common occurrence for me but a shallow shed has been my experience on a couple of warps.  Once I simply had the warp drawn to tight and on the second, I started weaving before removing the lease sticks (duh).  I wish I could be of more help to you.  Good luck.

Jan

Patricia Connolly
              Participant

Thanks Jan! I want to say that I believe I solved the problem by … ahem…. looking at the manual and adjusting the upper cords. I had to adjust length and looping and that seems to have made things much better!! It’s such a simple loon really and I figured it had to be one thing or the other. Thank you for responding!

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • The forum ‘Season 1 – Foundation’ is closed to new topics and replies.