Garibaldi Flats kit

Forums Weaving Discussion Garibaldi Flats kit

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Maureen Janda
      Participant

I’m just setting up the loom with the Garibaldi Flats kit. I may be getting a bit ahead of myself, but I really wanted to learn turned twill so I jumped ahead of the guild lessons and thought I’d give it a try. I was just about to sley the reed and realized that there is no indication of floating selvedges. Am I supposed to put them in, or is there something about  your pattern setup or the structure that doesn’t require them?

Sandra
        Keymaster

Hi Maureen, the structure you will be weaving is twill, so you will need to make the first and last thread a floating selvedge.  Have fun with the kit!

Teresa Coons
          Participant

CC9D3917-67BA-465C-9C54-7D105DA202A5D5E8B66E-2FB7-4472-94D4-1D88CF838519After visiting Jane’s studio briefly last summer (2019), I purchased the Garibaldi Flats kit and made a set of tea towels for myself.  I used the leftover fabric to make a “Tea Towel Tunic”). Then, in December, I joined the online Guild and have now completed the first two seasons.  I decided to make a set of tea towels for my daughter using her favorite color combination and many of the principles I learned in Season 2 of the Guild (sketching, Fibonacci, stripes, asymmetry…).  However, I overlaid the twill structures from the Garibaldi Flats pattern.  What fun!  Can’t wait to do Season 3!C1132BD1-9247-42DC-8D49-B3242F740173

Maureen Janda
            Participant

Sorry I’ve been so late checking back here.  The towels are great and I love your tunic! I haven’t made any garments with my weaving, yet, but I’ve been looking for a pattern for a simple unlined loose jacket that I could make. I took some spinning classes from Judith MacKensie and she has some jackets that look like handweaving, though I have no idea if they really are.

Nina Kennedy
              Participant

I just finished making the towels from the Garibaldi Flats kit. I am really disappointed – in how they turned out, not in the kit. I had fun and learned a lot by trying different weft colors and designs but what you don’t see in the photo is that the selvedges turned out horrible! I wasn’t sure if I was supposed to use floating selvedges so did not do so when warping but after finishing the first towel the selvedges looked so ragged that I decided to add a floating selvedge on each end. This did not help. The selvedges for all the towels look really ragged and they tend to roll in. I am not sure what I was doing wrong. Is this a characteristic of turned twill? Also, I am weaving on a Megado with electronic dobby so I created separate wif files for blocks A and B so that I could switch blocks when I wanted to change my design at the loom. I have never tried this before and found that sometimes when I switched blocks the last pick from the previous block would open instead of the first pick of the next block (at least I think this is what was happening). I didn’t always catch this so there are strange looking blocks. My Megado is the only loom I have right now and though I love it I do find it more difficult to weave spontaneously! I’d appreciate any ideas on how to do this on a Megado. I am hoping that I will find out what I should have been doing, or not doing, in the turned twill episode coming up in January 2021.

IMG_3154IMG_3156

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Nina Kennedy.
                • This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Nina Kennedy.
            Viewing 4 reply threads
            • The forum ‘Weaving Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.