Fulling Scarf

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      rooneymt
      Participant

Hi, I’m completing my Michelle’s Zephyr scarf. Do you finish it the same way as the Mohair video? I washed it in warm water using my Tide liquid detergent. I squeezed it into a ball for about 10 minutes in the sink and then rinsed. I rolled it in the towel and took it to my table. I’m assuming so far is correct for wool?

But do  you brush the wool like you do the Mohair? I did a light brushing like the video and it seems to have fluffed it up but am wondering if it will felt when its dry? I”m wondering if brushing is only for Mohair?

Also, I tied my fringe first before washing. Is this the Jane does it too?

Thanks!

Sandra
        Keymaster

Rooney, if you used Zephyr yarn, which is a wool/silk blend, I would wash the scarf following the method that Jane demonstrates in Season 1: Episode 10.4 on Handwashing Silk Fabrics. It might be worth reviewing that video.  I wouldn’t brush the scarf because it doesn’t have a surface that needs to be “fluffed” or opened up like mohair does.

It’s easier to twist your fringe before you wash it, so the way you have done your fringe, is fine.  Post a photo of your finished scarf for us to see!

rooneymt
          Participant

Zephyr-ScarfCompleted the Zephyr scarf! I love the feel of the scarf. It’s amazing how it transformed after fulling! I am going to warp 3 more scarfs using same patter but different color Zephyr. I am also going to add a selvedge thread to compare.

I hemmed this scarf every 4 threads and twisted two pairs consisting of 8 threads each. I may play around and try hemming 6 threads. Does anyone have any  have any input for hemming? I kinda like “bushier” ties.

I’m slowly getting Christmas presents going!!

Sandra
            Keymaster

👏👏👏

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • The forum ‘Season 3 – Pushing the Boundaries of Plain Weave’ is closed to new topics and replies.