Working with Harrisville Shetland

Jane Stafford Textiles Forums Weaving Discussion Working with Harrisville Shetland

This topic contains 21 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Norma OCuilinn 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Inga
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 21
    • Totals: 22
    • Weaving wonder

I think lashing a warp should help.  I am sure Jane will cover it in a next video, but you can check on youtube – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnrCoijfZVY andaAlso http://leighsfiberjournal.blogspot.ca/2007/10/how-to-lash-on-warp.html.

Norma OCuilinn
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 19
    • Weaving wonder

ok. I finished the first blanket out of Shetland and fulled it and that went fine.  It had a 15% change horizontally and a 10% shrinkage in length.

However, when I was tensioning it on the apron rod before weaving I broke a whole bout of threads at the knot!  ( I half hitched the unbroken threads around the bundle and then taped it tight.  It stayed)

I didn’t realize it’s so fragile.  So, I’m wondering if any of you have a helpful hint about getting it settled with a good tension when tying on.

thank you

Norma OCuilinn
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

Thank you!  I’ll read the info on the link you posted.

Ginette
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 392
    • Totals: 404
    • Weaving wonder

Hi Norma, I follow Jane’s instructions on fulling.  Here’s the link to her helpline where you can download it.  I found with this yarn that it doesn’t take long in the washing machine.  I check it every 30 seconds once I noticed the fulling has started.  It’s great yarn for fulling!  I fulled last yardage I wove and it turned out lovely.  I don’t go by Ginny but have been to Jane’s for a few workshops.

https://janestaffordtextiles.com/faq/fulling-your-handwoven-fabric/

Norma OCuilinn
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

Is there a trick to it? Or concerns I should be aware of before I try it?

and do you go by Ginny?  We may have met at Jane’s…..

Ginette
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 392
    • Totals: 404
    • Weaving wonder

Hi Norma, I do full my blankets woven in Harrisville shetland in the washing machine as well.

Ginette

Norma OCuilinn
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

Hi,

I’m making a Shetland blanket and am wondering if I can full it in the washing machine like we did the mohair blankets at Jane’s retreat.  Or if doing it by hand in the sink is safer?  I wove a very tiny sample to experiment with it so I know it will full nicely but I did that small bit in my kitchen sink.

any thoughts?

Thanks!

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.