Working with Harrisville Shetland

Weaving Supplies, Yarn & Looms Canada Forums Weaving Discussion Working with Harrisville Shetland

This topic contains 21 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Norma OCuilinn 2 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author

Norma OCuilinn
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 19
    • Totals: 22
    • Weaving wonder

Right!  Thank you.

Ginette
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 12
    • Replies: 388
    • Totals: 400
    • Weaving wonder

Hi Norma,

The one suggestion, which you may be doing already, is when you are beaming on the warp, if you feel any kind of snag or it feels like it’s not winding on as smoothly, is to pull/tug on your chain to get the threads back into place.  The next JST online guild video is tomorrow and that is where Jane will be showing how to beam on and I’m sure you’ll find some tricks in it to help you.  The nice thing about the Harrisville Shetland yarn and repair of a broken thread, when it’s fulled, the repairs don’t show.

Ginette

Norma OCuilinn
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

Yes. But the twisting, binding seemed to be before it got to the raddle and all down the warp towards the chain

• This reply was modified 2 years, 10 months ago by  Norma OCuilinn.
    • This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by  Sandra.

Ginette
    Keymaster
    • Weaving wonder

Hi Norma,

did you keep your 2 threads in the same dent in the raddle when you were winding on?

Ginette

Norma OCuilinn
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

To Ginette,

well I just beamed about 9 yds of Shetland and a thread broke while beaming.  It got caught on adjacent threads and tangled.  This stuff tangles so easily.

Do you have any suggestions for keeping it from wrapping around itself.  It was chained tightly and the cross was 2×2.

I just tied the broke bit together in a knot and I’ll keep my eye out for it while I’m weaving.  This is certainly a learning curve.

Norma OCuilinn
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

Oh my gracious.  That’s beautiful.  It almost looks like overshot.  I may need to get that book 🙂

Ginette
    Keymaster
    • Weaving wonder

Hi Norma, here’s a picture of the pattern that I did napkins as you can see it better on that as the warp was one colour, weft – second colour.  The second picture is the one I did in Shetland Harrisville, black on black,  finished, fulled fabric (not the best picture, it’s actually much darker the fabric)

The pattern is from Twill Thrills book, 8 harness.

earls canvas2

earls canvas fulled

Norma OCuilinn
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

Picture?  I’ve never heard of Earls Canvas… I’ll look it up

Ginette
    Keymaster
    • Weaving wonder

I wove it at 10 epi.  I used the ‘Earl’s Canvas’ pattern.

Shrinkage was 13 % in width and about 10% in length.  Very close to your amounts.   I ended up with a piece that was 41″ wide and 4.33 yards long.   The nice thing was that I was able to full it as a whole piece!

Ginette

Norma OCuilinn
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

So, Ginette, when you make cloth with Shetland how much shrinkage do you usually get?

Norma OCuilinn
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

Thank you

Ginette
    Keymaster
    • Weaving wonder

That is so lovely Norma!  Love your colour mix and those black stripes, stunning!

Norma OCuilinn
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

Hi Ginette

Ha! I got it to work!  It’s drying in this picture.  The dark horizontal line roughly in the middle was me messing with beat…. Oh well, not so noticeable now it’s dry…. First time to weave with Shetland.  I learned a lot. And it’s going to a friend who is happy to be a Guinea pig.  It’s for the foot of her bed.  The center is grey/brown, grey/brown across, weft is obviously black.

Ginette
    Keymaster
    • Weaving wonder

Hi Norma, I would love to see a picture of your blanket you just did in Shetland after fulling!  Are you able to post one?

Ginette

Norma OCuilinn
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

Thank you Inga!  I had completely forgotten about that as an option.  It’s a good idea and I’ll do that for the next project which is a shetland/mohair scarf.

Cheers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.