Esidode 5 – Project Planning ,

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 1 – Foundation Esidode 5 – Project Planning ,

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Deborah
      Participant

page one of the pdf seems to be missing

Jane
        Keymaster

We have fixed that 🙂

Cheryl
          Participant

I’m confused about calculating the amount of weft you need in a project. I get that you need to know the length of the warp that is actually to be woven, times the width of the cloth on the loom but I missed when you considered the ppi in the calculations.

Jane
              Keymaster

I’m a fan of rough calculations.  If it is a balanced cloth you need the same amount of weft minus what you use for loom loss.  If it isn’t balance you have to multiply the width x’s the picks per inch x’s the length of woven cloth to get your total inches, then divide by 36 to know your yds.  There are several scenarios in the pdf….the minutiae version or the rough calculations.

Alison
              Participant

Any chance that we could have a metric version?? Pleeeeeez! 🙏🏼

Sandra
                Keymaster

Hi Alison!  Canada is a country that started down the metric route but it never took hold of some of the older generation, like me 😉    Because of that, I have become dependant on Apps that do my converting for me.  One that I find really easy to use on my iPad is  Units Plus, I’m sure that there must also be a version for Android.  Do your “epi  – ends per inch” and “Pi – pics per inch” in epc “ends per centimetre” and ppc “pics per centimetre” and you are away to the races as long as you take those starting numbers down the metric path!  Let us know if you still have questions on your Project Planning.

Ginette
                  Keymaster

Another fabulous episode Jane! Following along with the pdf makes it all come together. I also now have the counting of threads down pat, so much easier to do it this way, it’s actually quite an enjoyable task now 😉 Great guild meeting by the way 🙂

HELEN
                    Participant

I’m slightly behind in viewing the Episodes but I found Episode 5 extremely helpful. Jane you took the boogie-man out of the cupboard for me! I was always afraid of just doing my own thing. Now with your good advise in hand I’m ready to step out and conquer my loom. Thank you sooooo much.

Sandra
                      Keymaster

Just wait until next year, Helen!  Your brain will explode with “Colour and Design” 😁

kunne.dam
                        Participant

After watching all the episodes I’ve learned so much! Your online lessons really great, Jane! Thanks so much!
                          There’s however one thing in this 5th episode that’s still a mystery for me: why always divide by 36 when you are at the end of your calculationform?
                          At first I thought the 36 came from epi + ppi, the next section I thought the 36 came from the length of the towel, but in the blanket section I could not find the “why” behind the 36. On the PDF’s it is also 36 for a blankie.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 8 months ago by kunne.dam.
                            Sharon
                            Participant

Hi.  You divide by 36 because up until that point you have been using inches and you need to figure out how many yards you need.  There are 36 inches in one yard.

Aja
                            Participant

Just catching up here… my question may be a bit picky but wouldn’t you add the warp needed for the hems in hemmed items before you figured out your take up and shrinkage? It might not be a big deal for towels but if you are making a bunch of something on a long warp and shrinkage is greater than 10% based on the material you are using, it may make some difference. The way I work it – if the towel is supposed to be 27” long once it is hemmed, and the hem is, say 1” on each end (bent double) – I would work my calculations of take up and shrinkage based on a 29” towel.  🙂

Jane
                                Keymaster

Absolutley Aja….the main point in that video is that you have all these different sets of circumstances that you have to take into account.  I am lazy when it comes to towels I just give myself 1 yard per towel and it always works out…..they may not be all exactly the same size because I play with the graphic as I go.  I never worry about those things 🙂

Viewing 9 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.