Episode 8

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Gabriele
      Participant

Just watched the wonderful presentation about all these nice wonderful looms.

Thank you so much Jane, I learned again so much!

Sylvia
        Participant

Jane, So much great information. I have a older Louet David Loom and never even checked if my tension was the same at the top and bottom when the shed is open. The bottom always felt softer and had problems with my shuttle nose diving. Next warp is soon going on and will shorten the texsolv from treadles and see if this solves my issue.

Showing the string and how the warp goes up was also very enlightening. I read the manual and read almost everything on my loom on ravelry, but things just clicked and fell into place after you explained it.

Thank you,

Sylvia

Jane
            Keymaster

Hi Sylvia,

There is another way to adjust the David.  On the side where the beater bars fit into little wooden blocks…you can raise and lower those to adjust the height of your beater.  If your warp isn’t sitting on the beater all you have to do it raise those blocks to the highest point and your shuttle race sits higher thus supporting the lower portion of your warp when the shed it open.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

jane

Ed Chapman
            Participant

Am I the only one that did not already know the Louet “Jane” loom was named after our fearless leader? It was very endearing to watch Jane’s face when she rightfully mentioned that fact…. Thanks again for the warm fuzzies. My new Spring Loom is on a Fedex truck somewhere in Maryland right now… hope to get it Monday. Then I will have to see if the assembly warrants playing hooky from work….

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by Ed Chapman.
                Jane
                Keymaster

Go get that Fanny Isabelle….they are great.  I think I mentioned that my first loom was a Fanny…..I love her.

Isabelle
                Participant

Great episode – one of my favorites so far. Well presented and very informative. The description about where the warp needs to sit in the beater depending on the type of loom is very useful.  Also enlightening to see Jane use the same bench for three of the floor looms. I need to get my Fanny out of storage (where it’s been since our last move) and back in the studio! A suggestion for a future episode, perhaps in year 3: loom care and maintenance. Thanks for a great show!

Maureen Janda
                  Participant

I’m late in watching this episode, but found it very helpful. I’m just learning how to use my new David, which is so amazing after just having a rigid heddle loom. (I’ve been playing with making twill samples- I have twilled! I are a twiller! So exciting.) I didn’t really understand what the significance was of a sinking shed, or for that matter counter-balance or any of the other looms, either. This is my first and only floor loom, and seeing what the others look like is also helpful in understanding weaving.
                    I spent an hour or two yesterday in the Home Depot lighting department trying to find something that would fit on the castle of the David without interfering with the cams, etc.. While watching the David lesson at lunch, I saw that you have some kind of light on your David. Could you tell what it is and how it’s mounted?

Jane
                      Keymaster

Hi Maureen….my little twiller 🙂

I have purchased two kinds of lights for my looms.  One set I got at Costco….They are made by Sunbeam and they have a sticky tape stripe and I stuck them under the shelf.  They are a touch system….kind of like a modern version of clap off, clap on.  Do you remember that advertisement probably from the 70’s.  All you have to do is wave your hand under the sensor.  Well….don’t put that sensor in the middle of the shelf cause when you grab the beater it turns on and off, LOL.  BUT…we did get that under control by putting a piece of painters tape on the sensor…now you have to tap it to turn it on and off.  Once I got the hang to these things I put the sensor on the outside….much better.

Then Costco didn’t have them anymore so I went to Ikea and they have little LED lights that all string together…they didn’t have the tape though to attach them to the shelf so I ran a strip of double face regular tape along the light track and another run under the shelf.  I stuck the whole thing to the shelf.  That didn’t work 100%…after time they started to unstick so I have just used regular old Scotch tape to give some extra stickiness around the light to the shelf.  Worked like a hot damn.  You can’t see it and they have been there for 2 years :).

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Jane

suzrwin
                      Participant

I have a major case of OLAD after watching episode 8, lol.  Because 4 looms in my studio are not enough, right?

Sigh.

Must.not.buy.more.looms

Viewing 5 reply threads
                    • The forum ‘Season 1 – Foundation’ is closed to new topics and replies.