Season 3: Episode 4 – Weft Faced

Tagged: 

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      Susan Hoddinott
      Participant

This is so much fun to do.  After the on-site course at Jane’s last year I went home and set up a long warp and made 40 little mug rugs – each one different – to practice with various yarns and patterns. Mug Rugs Project 2018 (2)

• This topic was modified 1 year, 4 months ago by Sandra. Reason: Changed title of members post and deleted the one I created
        Sandra
        Keymaster

What a brilliant idea, Susan!  Yours are fabulous.  I’ll have to follow a suggestion of Jane’s and put a warp on my table loom and weave a mug rug or mini carpet a day!

Ginette
          Keymaster

Oh my Susan! Those are wonderful! So many variations, colours and patterns 🙂

Ellen Black
            Participant

They are Wonderful !    So what did you use for warp and weft?  how wide are they?  Great way to play with patterns

Sharon
              Participant

I am carefully watching the first ‘at the loom’ segment and notice that ‘jump the bump’ and ‘dive the dip’ don’t seem to be being used here.  The shuttle is exiting UNDER the floating selvedge and then the next weft pick is going OVER the previous yarn.  The selvedges look great so is this an adapted technique?

Full disclosure:   I was paying very close attention because I’ve been doing some other two shuttle weaves (crackle  and overshot) and have had issues with the weft pulling in from the outermost edge of the fabric no matter whether I go under or over.

Sandra
                  Keymaster

Hi Sharon – this is an adapted technique, used when you have floating selvedges. The selvedge warp threads do not go through your heddles and therefore don’t get caught as you weave. Jane uses this technique whenever she uses floating selvedges to neatly catch those threads and secure them to the cloth.

gabi-tomas
                  Participant

I love the mug rugs.!

Susan Hoddinott
                    Participant

Thanks for the comments everyone!   Warp was 4/8 cotton and the weft was what ever thickish left over yarn bits (wool, cotton, tencel, bamboo etc)  I had in my stash.  They ended up being about 5″ by 5″.  I had set up my Jane table loom and worked away on them over a 4 month period – not dedicated enough to do one a day.  😉  There was absolutely no advance planning done – just  did a pattern for  a few rows until I decided to make a change on the fly.  This truly was a stream of consciousness experiment – the old “I wonder what will happen if I do this” .  🙂

Ellen Black
                        Participant

When “what if?” Strikes it is a beautiful thing.  Thank you.

gabi-tomas
                        Participant

Help! I cannot print page two of the pdf’s. It doesn’t fit on one page. It just happens to be a very important page! How did you do it?

Just ignore this! DH advised to use the “fit to page”- option on the printer. Sorry!!!!!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 3 months ago by gabi-tomas.
                            Ginette
                            Keymaster

No worries Gabi! It’s always good to have that extra tid bit of info for others as well, glad it worked out 🙂

bobbietweddle
                            Participant

I would love to try this in cotton/linen for placemats.  Any suggestions on the size warp and weft yarn to use?

the1to1
                              Participant

Susan ~ Award goes to you for being the Mug Rug Queen!! Great way to sample and have fun at the loom. Thanks for sharing.  Always envious of those of you who get to visit Jane!!

Betty.allen
                                Participant

I just finished my weft faced project.  It was so fun and I  just played.  Played with graphics and texture. I just played. So fun. I ended up with 6 placemats 12 x 18 +-  I don’t recall a discussion on wet finishing.  I’ll go back and look at the PDFs again.  Hope it helps my selvages. 9AF9ECAF-E23B-4160-B5C0-BD1290EBBEB3

Sandra
                                    Keymaster

WOW, it looks like you had fun, Betty!

Ellen Black
                                      Participant

Betty those are wonderful !

Betty.allen
                                          Participant

Thanks Ellen.  It was a fun weave.  I used up some stash yarn, needed placemats, so it was a win win.

Betty.allen
                                        Participant

I just finished my weft faced project.  It was so fun and I  just played.  Played with graphics and texture. I just played. So fun. I ended up with 6 placemats 12 x 18 +-  I don’t recall a discussion on wet finishing.  I’ll go back and look at the PDFs again.  Hope it helps my selvages. 9AF9ECAF-E23B-4160-B5C0-BD1290EBBEB3

Carol
                                          Participant

Finally got to watch this episode this morning.  As I am short of time to watch, I thought I would finish threading my loom with a project that needs to be finished by the end of the week.  No problem, multi-tasking is good.   NOT!!! I learned an important lesson, you can’t thread 7878654321234565432123456 while watching Jane count 12 23 34 14.  I have had a great morning laughing at myself.  Good Saturday in the sun to one and all.

Sandra
                                              Keymaster

I can sooooo relate to your comment about your threading, Carol.  🤣

Ruth Johnson
                                              Participant

598D810E-2FAD-422C-9ADD-C016804451B0This is such a great episode! A spring snow in Calgary is a great excuse to stay in, weave and ignore the yard! I kind of got carried away with a 24”by 8 yard warp and ended up with a pile of rugs!!

Ellen Black
                                                  Participant

Ruth they are WONDERFUL !

Jae
                                                    Participant

Ruth, Those are gorgeous!

Marguerite Mousseau
                                                    Participant

I’ve started making some rug samples 0n my Jane loom after seeing all the beautiful images in this thread.  I like everything that happens using this technique but I do have a question about threading.  My heddles were threaded 4321234 when I made the first sample and I had no problem with all the plain weave patterns in Jane’s pdf but I could not do the twill.  Instead I ended up with wavy lines, which show up in the sample that is black, grey and burgundy.  When I rethreaded the heddles to 4321,  I was able to get twill but not the wavy lines.  Is there a way that I could get both wavy lines and twill in the weft-faced sample without rethreading.  I know that I can do a twill with either threading pattern in balanced plain weave – just can’t seem to get it with weft-faced.

Every one of these episodes is just such a great learning experience.  Thanks Jane!!!BF0EBD83-A589-4A1F-B16E-57A4C6B3EB8E1082F41C-33CA-470D-90C8-C2DC6FB98337C5E64F33-1E10-47EB-BDF7-C29CCE9BC65B

Ginette
                                                        Keymaster

Hi Marguerite,

Those are lovely samples! When you had it threaded 4321234, did you weave tromp as writ? Just wondering how you did you treadles. Love that claps weft by the way!

Marguerite Mousseau
                                                            Participant

Thanks Ginette!

I followed the instructions for the weft based twill exactly, several times, then I tried every other combination I could think of – then went back and tried the original instructions again.  I kept thinking I must be making an obvious mistake but I just kept getting wavy lines. It was only after I rethreaded to 4321 that  I was able to get a twill by following the same instructions – but then I couldn’t get the wavy lines.

Sue
                                                          Participant

Really enjoyed doing these ‘mats’. It was fun and my colleagues in our guild workshop are hoping to try some too . Jane’s fame is spreading!0D20B6FD-EF25-4619-A303-6AE0DBEE309E

Steve Lucas
                                                            Participant

These are fabulous. Somebody suggested to me that I do some table mats for Christmas. I now have a warp using 12\2 linen although Jane’s project suggests 12\4 linen. My real big headache is that the warps keep fraying at the edges and also right next to the fell making it very hard to repair. My question is am I using too fine a warp? Why should my warp keep doing this? I am trying to find the videos where Jane repairs broken warps although I don’t know if this will necessarily help. Any thoughts please – I am wanting to get on with the next project!.

Sandra
                                                                Keymaster

Hi Steve.  My gut feeling is that the 12/2 linen is just not strong enough.  Because you are packing in the weft, the warp has to be able to withstand constant abrasion.  Have you tried easing up on the tension, so that you can more gently place your weft?  That certainly is not a perfect solution but it’s worth a try to see if you can at least use your warp.  I know Jane has used 8/4 cotton and Mop Cotton in the past for weft-faced weaving, but the 12/4 has worked well for others doing the sample warp for this episode.

Please, keep us up to date on your progress with this warp!

Steve Lucas
                                                                    Participant

Thanks Sandra. I tried as you suggested and also tried using stick glue (something that is suggested elsewhere on the Forum) but alas it was just not reliable and the warps continued to fray 🙁  so I took the warp down and replaced it with a 12\6 cotton warp – much better 🙂  Better to know when to stop!

Sandra
                                                                        Keymaster

It’s hard to have to give up on a warp 🙁  but you’ve certainly learned a lot through the process that you won’t forget.  Thank you for the update!  I look forward to seeing your samples with the new warp.

barbel1234
                                                                    Participant

F7BEC089-3AD0-4CED-B33E-47C7392BACAB
                                                                      My rug in weftface!
                                                                      45“x81“

Ginette
                                                                        Keymaster

So lovely Barb!

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.