Season 3: Episode 4 – Weft Faced

Weaving Supplies, Yarn & Looms Canada Forums Weaving Discussion Season 3: Episode 4 – Weft Faced

Tagged: 

This topic contains 22 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Jae 2 weeks, 5 days ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Sandra
    Keymaster

Hi Sharon – this is an adapted technique, used when you have floating selvedges. The selvedge warp threads do not go through your heddles and therefore don’t get caught as you weave. Jane uses this technique whenever she uses floating selvedges to neatly catch those threads and secure them to the cloth.

Susan Hoddinott
    Participant

Thanks for the comments everyone!   Warp was 4/8 cotton and the weft was what ever thickish left over yarn bits (wool, cotton, tencel, bamboo etc)  I had in my stash.  They ended up being about 5″ by 5″.  I had set up my Jane table loom and worked away on them over a 4 month period – not dedicated enough to do one a day.  😉  There was absolutely no advance planning done – just  did a pattern for  a few rows until I decided to make a change on the fly.  This truly was a stream of consciousness experiment – the old “I wonder what will happen if I do this” .  🙂

gabi-tomas
    Participant

I love the mug rugs.!

Sharon
    Participant

I am carefully watching the first ‘at the loom’ segment and notice that ‘jump the bump’ and ‘dive the dip’ don’t seem to be being used here.  The shuttle is exiting UNDER the floating selvedge and then the next weft pick is going OVER the previous yarn.  The selvedges look great so is this an adapted technique?

Full disclosure:   I was paying very close attention because I’ve been doing some other two shuttle weaves (crackle  and overshot) and have had issues with the weft pulling in from the outermost edge of the fabric no matter whether I go under or over.

Ellen Black
    Participant

They are Wonderful !    So what did you use for warp and weft?  how wide are they?  Great way to play with patterns

Ginette
    Keymaster

Oh my Susan! Those are wonderful! So many variations, colours and patterns 🙂

Sandra
    Keymaster

What a brilliant idea, Susan!  Yours are fabulous.  I’ll have to follow a suggestion of Jane’s and put a warp on my table loom and weave a mug rug or mini carpet a day!

Susan Hoddinott
    Participant

This is so much fun to do.  After the on-site course at Jane’s last year I went home and set up a long warp and made 40 little mug rugs – each one different – to practice with various yarns and patterns. Mug Rugs Project 2018 (2)

• This topic was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by  Sandra. Reason: Changed title of members post and deleted the one I created
Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.