Season 3: Episode 4 – Weft Faced

Weaving Supplies, Yarn & Looms Canada Forums Weaving Discussion Season 3: Episode 4 – Weft Faced

Tagged: 

This topic contains 32 replies, has 16 voices, and was last updated by  Ginette 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)
  • Author

Ginette
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 386
    • Totals: 397
    • Weaving wonder

So lovely Barb!

barbel1234
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 1
    • Totals: 1
    • Weaving weeble

F7BEC089-3AD0-4CED-B33E-47C7392BACAB
    My rug in weftface!
    45“x81“

Sandra
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 27
    • Replies: 432
    • Totals: 459
    • Weaving wonder

It’s hard to have to give up on a warp 🙁  but you’ve certainly learned a lot through the process that you won’t forget.  Thank you for the update!  I look forward to seeing your samples with the new warp.

Steve Lucas
    Participant
    • Replies: 2
    • Totals: 2
    • Weaving weeble

Thanks Sandra. I tried as you suggested and also tried using stick glue (something that is suggested elsewhere on the Forum) but alas it was just not reliable and the warps continued to fray 🙁  so I took the warp down and replaced it with a 12\6 cotton warp – much better 🙂  Better to know when to stop!

Sandra
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 27
    • Replies: 432
    • Totals: 459
    • Weaving wonder

Hi Steve.  My gut feeling is that the 12/2 linen is just not strong enough.  Because you are packing in the weft, the warp has to be able to withstand constant abrasion.  Have you tried easing up on the tension, so that you can more gently place your weft?  That certainly is not a perfect solution but it’s worth a try to see if you can at least use your warp.  I know Jane has used 8/4 cotton and Mop Cotton in the past for weft-faced weaving, but the 12/4 has worked well for others doing the sample warp for this episode.

Please, keep us up to date on your progress with this warp!

Steve Lucas
    Participant
    • Replies: 2
    • Totals: 2
    • Weaving weeble

These are fabulous. Somebody suggested to me that I do some table mats for Christmas. I now have a warp using 12\2 linen although Jane’s project suggests 12\4 linen. My real big headache is that the warps keep fraying at the edges and also right next to the fell making it very hard to repair. My question is am I using too fine a warp? Why should my warp keep doing this? I am trying to find the videos where Jane repairs broken warps although I don’t know if this will necessarily help. Any thoughts please – I am wanting to get on with the next project!.

Sue
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 25
    • Totals: 26
    • Weaving wonder

Really enjoyed doing these ‘mats’. It was fun and my colleagues in our guild workshop are hoping to try some too . Jane’s fame is spreading!0D20B6FD-EF25-4619-A303-6AE0DBEE309E

Marguerite Mousseau
    Participant
    • Replies: 3
    • Totals: 3
    • Weaving weeble

Thanks Ginette!

I followed the instructions for the weft based twill exactly, several times, then I tried every other combination I could think of – then went back and tried the original instructions again.  I kept thinking I must be making an obvious mistake but I just kept getting wavy lines. It was only after I rethreaded to 4321 that  I was able to get a twill by following the same instructions – but then I couldn’t get the wavy lines.

Ginette
    Keymaster
    • Topics: 11
    • Replies: 386
    • Totals: 397
    • Weaving wonder

Hi Marguerite,

Those are lovely samples! When you had it threaded 4321234, did you weave tromp as writ? Just wondering how you did you treadles. Love that claps weft by the way!

Marguerite Mousseau
    Participant
    • Replies: 3
    • Totals: 3
    • Weaving weeble

I’ve started making some rug samples 0n my Jane loom after seeing all the beautiful images in this thread.  I like everything that happens using this technique but I do have a question about threading.  My heddles were threaded 4321234 when I made the first sample and I had no problem with all the plain weave patterns in Jane’s pdf but I could not do the twill.  Instead I ended up with wavy lines, which show up in the sample that is black, grey and burgundy.  When I rethreaded the heddles to 4321,  I was able to get twill but not the wavy lines.  Is there a way that I could get both wavy lines and twill in the weft-faced sample without rethreading.  I know that I can do a twill with either threading pattern in balanced plain weave – just can’t seem to get it with weft-faced.

Every one of these episodes is just such a great learning experience.  Thanks Jane!!!BF0EBD83-A589-4A1F-B16E-57A4C6B3EB8E1082F41C-33CA-470D-90C8-C2DC6FB98337C5E64F33-1E10-47EB-BDF7-C29CCE9BC65B

Jae
    Participant
    • Replies: 12
    • Totals: 12
    • Weaving wonder

Ruth, Those are gorgeous!

Ellen Black
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 126
    • Totals: 132
    • Weaving wonder

Ruth they are WONDERFUL !

Ruth Johnson
    Participant
    • Replies: 6
    • Totals: 6
    • Weaving wizard

598D810E-2FAD-422C-9ADD-C016804451B0This is such a great episode! A spring snow in Calgary is a great excuse to stay in, weave and ignore the yard! I kind of got carried away with a 24”by 8 yard warp and ended up with a pile of rugs!!

Betty.allen
    Participant
    • Topics: 4
    • Replies: 46
    • Totals: 50
    • Weaving wonder

Thanks Ellen.  It was a fun weave.  I used up some stash yarn, needed placemats, so it was a win win.

Ellen Black
    Participant
    • Topics: 6
    • Replies: 126
    • Totals: 132
    • Weaving wonder

Betty those are wonderful !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.