Episode 4: Tell us what you think.

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 1 – Foundation Episode 4: Tell us what you think.

Viewing 35 reply threads
  • Author
      Jane
      Keymaster

Hi Kids,

Episode 4 aired today, share your thoughts and explorations of setts!

Jane

Gabriele
        Participant

So much fun ((-: First hour viewed and so musch new impressions and ideas ((-: Thanks! (-:

Kathy
          Participant

Excellent! Learning so much…my head is spinning!

Deborah
            Participant

Just finished watching it end-to-end as it is sooooo hard to take a break from all the great information.  As a beginner, one question I have – which I assume will be addressed later – is how does one make a change on an existing warp from more epi to less epi?  Do you take the warp from the reed and starting in the middle, re-sley everything, leaving the extra warp on the edges for removal (or wider fabric)?

Jane
                Keymaster

Hi Deborah,

Good question.  I know the number of ends in my warp so I decide which direction I am going first.  If it is more ends per inch say 10 to 12 then I figure out what the width will be based on the number of ends in the warp.  I pull the whole thing out of the reed and sley right to left.  I find it easier than trying to work from centre.  Then I resley and the warp will be narrower.  If I decide I am going the other way say 10 down to 8 then I figure out what the width will be in the reed and pull the whole thing out and resley wider.  The differential either way won’t be so great that tension will be affected.  Hope this answers your question.

And….so glad you enjoyed the episode.

Cheers,

Jane

Jean
                Participant

Is it just me?  The Cotton Sett video is very jumpy… where it cuts in/out…  Outstanding info, but it’s distracting the heck out of me.

Jean
                    Participant

Never mind.  Found the info on reducing the video quality playback.  Perfect now.

Jean
                    Participant

So if you do cotton warp/silk weft it doesn’t shink weird when wet finished?  I never would have tried it thinking the cotton would shrink and the silk wouldn’t.

Jane
                        Keymaster

Cotton and silk have very similar shrinkage rates 🙂

How cool is that!

Jean
                            Participant

Well, I’d say that’d very cool!  I wish Texas wasn’t so far from Salt Spring Island!  One of these days, Alice, one of these days….

Diane
                          Participant

Good solid information

i hope you give your colour theory course online

Jane
                              Keymaster

That is what next year will be all about 🙂

Jill
                              Participant

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to tell Jane this class was a game changer.  I think I have always approached Sett like it was written in stone and now I see that I get to choose what the outcome will be.

I was just exploring an 8 shaft plaited  twill and I had to guess the sett.  Well long story short, I guessed wrongly.  Now, I  feel confident to cut the warp, re-sley and start again knowing my next attempt will not have the drape of corrugated cardboard.  Big thanks, Jane.

Jane
                                  Keymaster

Awesome.   Thanks for posting.

Cheryl
                                  Participant

Love the wrapping-the-ruler according to the structure. Great explanation; makes designing less of a shot in the dark especially combining 2 textures in a twill.

Jacqueline
                                    Participant

I am new to weaving and starting with a RHL. I have been able to pick up helpful tips on the prior videos but this Sett video has really clarified for me the versatility and the possibilities changing the Sett and the sleying can make.

My question is would the Reed chart translate over to the RHL? If I wanted a 20 epi, and was using 8/2 cotton, wouldn’t I prefer to use 2 @ 10 dent heddles instead of sleying 2 strands/heddle? I would think the density of the cloth (drape) would be quite different.

Jane
                                        Keymaster

Hi Jacqueline,

You can transfer all the setts I talk about to RH but you do have to use 2 rigid heddles.

Yarns can give us so many different fabrics if we think about changing the sett.  You could put 2 ends in your heddle and you would have a structure that really is basket weave….it would be beautiful, or you could use 2 heddles and sley them all one per dent then you would get a finer fabric and it would be true plain weave.  So cool!

Here is a link to a great little article from Schacht about using 2 heddles.

http://www.schachtspindle.com/pdfs/newsletters/newsletter2007-01-winter.pdf

Hope this helps.

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Jane.
                                        Karen
                                        Participant

Love this video, it has inspired me with many ideas of things I can do. Thank you for the great information.🙂

Sue
                                          Participant

I so agree with Jill’s comment on this episode. A game changer that opens so many doors. Really looking forward to setting up a warp for samples, tho I think I’ll watch the videos a couple more times before I do. I am beginning to feel so much more self confidence with the build up of Jane’s teaching. Brilliant!

Nina Kennedy
                                            Participant

I am so glad I subscribed to the Online Guild. Even though I have been weaving for 20+ years I have learned a lot in just the first 4 episodes. This latest one about sett reinforced my previous observation that sett largely depends on what you want your finished product to look like. Your explanation was very clear and helpful. I look forward to all the episodes to come!

This may sound like a silly question but I can’t help noticing the great clothes you wear in your videos, Jane. I especially liked the dress and long vest you wore in episode 1.  Your clothes look so comfortable. I have been looking for clothes that are comfortable, age appropriate and stylish ( you and I are about the same age). I would love to know where you get your clothes that you wear in the videos. Would you care to divulge!?!

Jane
                                                Keymaster

Well gosh, thank you.  I buy all my clothes from Maiwa Handprints on Granville Island in Vancouver.  They are all organic cotton or linen, naturally dyed and block printed.  Maiwa is awesome for a million reasons.  Check them out at maiwa.com

Robin Nixon
                                                Participant

Hi Jane.

I really love this episode. I have been more excited about weaving since starting this journey with you than ever before. I may even do more sampling now. Thank you so much for sharing all your knowledge.

Venke
                                                  Participant

I am pleased with this online class.  The 4th episode is filled with so much information and inspiration.  I REALLY loved the wool sett discussion and seeing the blankets and scarves woven with different fibres.

Martha
                                                    Participant

What a great way to approach sett!  I haven’t seen the ruler used in just this way, and am looking forward to using this technique on my next project.  Thank you Jane!

Cindy
                                                      Participant

Absolutely wonderful.  Sett has always been something that was confusing, not any more.

Diana
                                                        Participant

Great Information as usual Jane, thank you!  I will need be a much more efficient vegetable gardener this summer so I can weave in all seasons not just in the winter.

i so want to put this all into practice right now!

JAN
                                                            Participant

Diana: That is why I gave up vegetable gardening! 🙂

Deborah
                                                            Participant

Brilliant! I’ve always know that sett was important but while you talked and showed us the effects of different setts my brain was snapping so fast I almost got electrocuted :^0  Your ruler wrap method is also much more logical to me. Thanks Jane!

– Deb H, Michigan

Michelle Simon
                                                              Participant

could you discuss sampling a little more–how long/wide warp–any hints on retying efficiently to change setts etc etc

I’m really enjoying all the explanations…..and can’t wait to have more time to weave and try out the ideas…..

Jane
                                                                  Keymaster

I do sample on the loom I plan to weave the project on….as it is more accurate. I usually make the warp 1.5-2 yds. I cut off and resley the reed to change my sett.
                                                                    Hope this helps,
                                                                    Jane

Maureen Janda
                                                                  Participant

I’m another new weaver, currently with just an RH loom, but determined to get a floor loom soon. This discussion has been so illuminating. I want so much to be able to weave fine threads. I think the PDFs, especially the Master Sett Chart, are worth the price of the Guild all by themselves. The time and money that they represent are huge! Thank you for this information.

Tara
                                                                    Participant

Hi Jane,

I’ve watched Video IV again (and again, and will again too) as sett changes fascinate me. I’m really curious about the section on cloth architecture, where you used silk weft on one end of a cotton scarf warp. It’s hard to see, but did your cotton shrink and change your outcome much on the silk/cotton end of your scarf at all vs the cotton weft end? It looks well balanced with the end that was cotton/cotton, even though (as you demonstrated) the drape is quite different. Did making a combination like that change how you might wet finish the project?

I’ve been leery in making some fiber combinations, fearing the shrink factor of one fiber might cause weird imbalances after finishing. I suppose knowing the potential shrinkage of a fiber would help on that, as well as keeping an eye on the warp tension throughout a project.

So far I am still playing quite safely mostly in the land of tea towels, but really (REALLY) want to weave a silk wrap in the near future. Mostly I just need to be braver and maybe a bit more adventurous. And sample, sample, sample, too 🙂

Jane
                                                                        Keymaster

Hi Tara,
                                                                          There is no problem using silk and cotton….I do it all the time. I mix them in the warp and in the weft to great results 🙂
                                                                          Don’t be afraid….try it!

Carol
                                                                        Participant

Finally made it through Episode 4. I love the way you calculate the sett. So much easier than the way I learned which never really gave me the fabric I was trying to achieve. Already starting on my next warp with the sett done Jane’s way.

• #31611
                                                                          JAN
                                                                          Participant

Well I’ve only watched the first half so far, and stopped. Because NOW I’m working a “trash” warp in 2/8 cotton .. weaving, resleying, weaving, resleying. I just cut off my 27 epi section — never DID get 27 ppi in tabby, but the twill is fabulous — and now I’m sleying for 23 epi. OMG I LOVE SAMPLING!!!

• #31641
                                                                              Jane
                                                                              Keymaster

Awesome, we learn so much from sampling.

• #31639
                                                                              Geraldine
                                                                              Participant

This is not directly related to this episode but I want to order the boucle yarn that was shown in the weaving episode. It was greens and blues. Could you possibly tell me the names of the colours used. Love the course

• #31888
                                                                                Terri
                                                                                Participant

Hi Jane,

I love the online guild! I’ve watched thru episode four and have learned so much about how to improve my weaving.  I have a question about sett for Jaggerspun Zephyr. I plan to make a Huck shawl. Since this yarn is a wool/silk blend I’m not sure how it will full.  Would 15 epi be appropriate in order to get a really soft drape?

Thank you!

• #31919
                                                                                    Jane
                                                                                    Keymaster

Hi There,
                                                                                      So glad you are enjoying the videos.
                                                                                      Zephyr fulls brilliantly. We use 15 epi for it when we are using it to collapse a fabric but for an all over shawl I think I would do 18-20 depending on how much you full it. This would be a perfect time to try a little sampling 🙂
                                                                                      Hope this helps.
                                                                                      Cheers,
                                                                                      Jane

• #31921
                                                                                    Terri
                                                                                    Participant

Thank you, Jane! Normally I would sample, but I have just enough yarn for the project and don’t want to have to purchase more! I’ll try 18 epi. I started out at 20 and it seemed too dense. Appreciate your input.

• #31923
                                                                                      Diana
                                                                                      Participant

I was reading the Old-Ladies with String Digest tonight, November Issue about sampling, and colour and weave etc.

Jane in the benefits of sampling article you say  What happens when you take all those wonderful dark/light sequences you’ve played with in plain weave and overlay a 2/2 twill on top…..

what does that mean? Overlay a 2/2 twill on top?  Sorry for the bold type but my iPad is objecting to the forum tonight and not cooperating.

Diana

• #31973
                                                                                          Jane
                                                                                          Keymaster

Hi Diana,
                                                                                            I mean…..what if you changed your tie-up to a 2/2 twill and wove the dark/light sequences in twill….all the patterns will change. It is simply amazing. Ideally you would change the sett of the warp…make it closer, because twills balance at a closer sett that plain weave. Colour and weave is magic, I love it so much. Next year, in the online guild we are doing a colour and weave gamp in plain weave….it is so darn exciting. 🙂
                                                                                            Hope this explains it better.
                                                                                            Cheers,
                                                                                            jane

• #32005
                                                                                            Diana
                                                                                            Participant

Thank you Jane.  I can hardly wait for more information about colour and weave it sounds wonderful.

I watch the videos whole or in part over and over and can barely wait for the next ones.

kind regards

Diana

Looking forward to ANWG too

• #32098
                                                                                            Geraldine
                                                                                            Participant

I have been weaving on and off(mostly off due to job, family etc) for many years  and most of my weaving has been rugs using handspun or rustic scarves etc from handspun. On resurrecting my weaving career I decided I wanted to weave finer fabrics. Suddenly selveges became an issue. I tried temples, twiddling with the threads but they were basically a disaster. Tonight by carefully following your instructions I finally got it! I don’t have open bottom shuttles but manage to control the bobbin with my finger on the top. Your wise words about the importance of a well wound bobbin proved true, a little care taken then makes all the diierence. Sorry to run on but I am buzzing I totally got a rhythm going and wove a tea towel in a couple of hours and hardly even looked at my selveges, which are the best I’ve ever done. many thanks Geri

• #32099
                                                                                                Jane
                                                                                                Keymaster

Thanks for posting Geri….and happy weaving 🙂
                                                                                                  Jane

• #32809
                                                                                                Terri
                                                                                                Participant

Hi Jane,

Your videos are wonderful! I’m learning so much.

I’ve got a warp on my loom of 20/2 perle cotton, set at 24 epi, sleyed at 2 threads per dent in a 12 dent reed. (The threading is 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1,8,7,6,5,4,3,2). I’m doing plain weave at 24 ppi before the pattern starts. I tied on the warp and spread it evenly using some heavier cotton. The first 24 rows of plain weave measure 1″ with a very hard beat. However, the threads in each dent are tending to pull close together, so the weave does not look balanced    And the next 24 rows measure about 1-1/4″. I tried to push the threads apart, but as I weave they pull back together. Any suggestions? Thank you!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by Terri.
                                                                                                • #33004
                                                                                                  CRISTINA STANCA
                                                                                                  Participant

Hello

I am confused. I used merino (a knitting one rather thick ) and sleyed 110110110 in a 10 dent.

I use the same for weft

It is totally awful – i can only see the weft, it cannot be used

What is a normal sett for wool – on a ruler it had 4/cm with some space in between.

I am considering going for 2121 in the same 10 dent

• #33024
                                                                                                    Sandra
                                                                                                    Keymaster

Hi Christina – I think the best thing you could do is to go back and watch Episode 4.2, Setts with Wool, again.  And then, you know what I’m going to say next – sample, sample, sample!  There is no way we can advise you on sett with a wool we’ve never seen or used.  That’s the fun and challenge of weaving – the satisfaction of working it out yourself!  Let us know how it works out.

• #33029
                                                                                                      Sandra
                                                                                                      Keymaster

Terri – Are you weaving using Jane’s mantra “throw, beat, change, beater back”?  It sounds like your weft is pulling in across your warp instead of being placed across the warp.

• #38751
                                                                                                        laurarose
                                                                                                        Participant

I am trying not to swear, but I am so flipping excited. I have only been Erving a few years but I have always leaned towards looser sets than suggested. Now I’m learning why and how to do it a little less by the seat of my pants. Though one of the things I live about weaving is that if you have intrrlacements and finish your edges, even if your cloth is wonky it won’t fall apart! Hopefully I’m not the only one just starting the first year. Thanks, Jane. Love your sett chart and live your teaching style.

• #38829
                                                                                                          clair
                                                                                                          Participant

Hi Jane — I am re-watching Season 1 Episode 4 (SETT) and I want to know the size of the yarn used for the samples that accompany your diminished reed numbers with the green and blue yarns– plain weave and twill — I replayed that section but for the life of me – I don’t find where you indicate the yarn size. If I just plain missed it, feel free to rap my knuckles!

Clair

• #38839
                                                                                                              Ginette
                                                                                                              Keymaster

Hi Clair, I think I know which samples you’re talking about.  Check episode 4.1 at 22:40

Ginette

• #38840
                                                                                                              clair
                                                                                                              Participant

Hi Ginette – (I don’t know how to find what you wrote to me, and the email is a no-reply. Apologies for replying here. Need to know the etiquette!)

Nope — she just gives what I think is a brand name — Riverstone similar to Cascade 40 —
                                                                                                                If that gives size,  I don’t know how to translate!!

But thanks so much for getting back to me.

I wanted to know because in her talk about those pieces there is so much information.

Clair

• #38845
                                                                                                                  Ginette
                                                                                                                  Keymaster

No worries Clair 😉

Yes the riverstone yarn, and you’re right, there’s so much information on those samples Jane talks about in the Sett for Cotton episode.  I thought you were searching where the samples where and gave you where in that episode they are, sorry about that!  I’ve woven with Riverstone when it was available but it’s discontinued now unfortunately.

Ginette

Viewing 35 reply threads
                                                                                                              • The forum ‘Season 1 – Foundation’ is closed to new topics and replies.