Episode 3: Tell us what you think :^)

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 1 – Foundation Episode 3: Tell us what you think :^)

Viewing 29 reply threads
  • Author
      Jane
      Keymaster

Episode 3 airs tomorrow….I hope you enjoy it.  Please share your thoughts.

Jean
        Participant

I’m really enjoying, but you mention 2 pdfs.  I’m having a hard time finding the hemstitching one.  A link to them in the intro or along with the segment they belong to would be very helpful.  🙂   Thank you!

edited about 45 seconds later…. I found it.  https://janestaffordtextiles.com/faq/the-how-to-of-simple-hemstitching/

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by Jean.
            Penny
            Participant

Jean,

On the introduction video for Episode 3, there is a little box in the top left hand corner of the screen right under the J in JST–that’s where the links are for the pdfs. There are 2 pdfs showing on this Introduction, and there is a pdf for one of the earlier episodes on warping.

Freda
              Participant

Hi

I found a hemstitching handout but I don’t think it is the one mentioned in video.  Does not have instructions for left handed hemstitching. ??  Thank you

P.S.  Wonderful video.  Well explained.  I am constantly learning!!

Sylvia
              Participant

So glad I signed up for the online guild. Jane you are a wonderful teacher. Would love to come to take workshops with you, but this is the next best thing. Thank you for all the tips. Learned so many things already. I’m going to sit on my loom later and just practice holding and throwing my shuttle.

Looking forward to my next warp, so I can practice what I have learned in the 3 Episodes.

Donna Johnson
                Participant

I am so glad to have heard about this. I am learning SO much! What a wonderful opportunity. Thank you for creating this.

Tara
                  Participant

As a weaver who has learned 100 percent of my lessons from stumbled-upon youtubes, I am really grateful for the longer videos and the planned progression of your series. There are a number of little tips and tricks you have mentioned so far, that have brought “aha!” moments, as well as validation that I’m doing things in a logical way. After watching episode 3, I did have to sneak out of bed at 1:00 in the morning and go downstairs to check on how I actually do hold the shuttle…couldn’t sleep without verifying first!

I’d love to be able to come to Salt Spring Island for a class someday, but they fill so fast before I can even figure out flights. I was wondering if there a cancellation list that people can have their name added to?

Sandra
                      Keymaster

Tara, I loved the mental image of you tip-toeing downstairs to check to see how you hold your shuttle – it made my day ☺️   And, yes – Jane does keep a wait list.  If you are serious about having the weaving workshop of your dreams, call the studio during business hours and see if she is still taking wait list names for the workshop you want.

Cindy
                      Participant

I have always said if you take a workshop or a lecture and you walk away with at least one tip, you got your monies worth.  Well, I have been weaving for over 30 years and I think in episode three I picked up more tips on good weaving than I ever new possible.  Sandra had told me once that anything she ever needed to know about weaving she learned from Jane Stafford and I now understand that comment.

One thing I really would like to see is how to handle these good weaving tips on a table loom.  I am using my Louet Jane more and more these days and would love to see a warp put on and how to weave more efficiently on the table loom.

Also, will we be able to access these episodes in the future, or is there a way to download them to our computers.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 3 months ago by Cindy.
                          Sandra
                          Keymaster

Hi Cindy 👋 – I hate to say “I told you so” about Jane 😉

As an active member of the JST Online Guild, you will always have access to current and future lessons.  The best is yet to come!!!  I’m really looking forward to reviewing her lessons on design.

Jessica
                              Participant

I plan to stay a member, but if for some reason I didn’t join again next year, would I still have access to the first year’s lessons?

Sandra
                                  Keymaster

Hi Jessica – the simple answer to your question is, no.  The JST Online Guild operates the same manner as any other Guild that I’m aware of.  With your annual membership comes the privileges of membership, access to Jane’s videos, PDF’s and the Forum.  In the same manner, with a “brick and mortar” Guild you have access to programs, the library, etc., as long as you are an active member.  Hope this answers your question.

Diana
                              Participant

I wish I had made it to Fibres West to tell you in person how much I have enjoyed episodes 3,2,&1 but thought I would just tell you on this forum rather than brave the Coquihalla.  Sometimes Mother Nature demands we just stay home!

So many new ideas to try, I can hardly wait to get this project finished so I can put another one on.

cant wait for episode 4

Cheryl
                                Participant

I’m a new weaver and working on a few of your towel kits as I watch these excellent videos. I changed my beating and shuttle throwing techniques as I watched episode 3 and my selvedges suddenly straightened out perfectly. Wow. Magical.

I’m still having trouble conceptualizing the color change technique, ‘jumping/diving the bumps’ at the selvedges. A diagram would really help.

Bethany
                                  Participant

Loved Episode 3 – solving the thread breaks and the wonderful “new weaver” segment – I have been there very recently and have so much to learn. Who could be better than Jane!!! I have struggled with a lovely, sequential hem stitch and would like to have the pdf and find the link here in Jean’s note above. Great forum!

So many thanks for all of this… This is a really terrific program resource for we newbies! I have watched one, two and now three at least twice and pick up something important each time through. I have an old Fanny at my house and struggle a bit with her, but we are becoming friends. Having a group challenge to participate in as an art quilter, and am I am weaving with PAPER on my Jane 40 and loving every minute of how the old 1923 Websters Dictionary pages sing with a bit of 2/8 colourful cotton. Who knew!

Bethany in Kingston ON

Sue
                                    Participant

I’m not even done watching this episode and it has been transformative!!  The segment on shuttle technique and beating on an open shed has already made a HUUUUGE difference in my current project!

THANK YOU!!  THANK YOU!!  THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheryl
                                      Participant

After watching episode 3

IMG_2159

Ginette
                                          Keymaster

Wow Cheryl!  What a difference.  Lovely selvedges!

Cheryl
                                              Participant

I mixed up the ‘before’ and ‘after’ on the selvedge photo and can’t figure out how to edit it. Obviously the top edge is the ‘after’  not the bottom one. Sorry for that.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by Cheryl.
                                            Martha
                                            Participant

Each series of videos has brought me something to use and improve my weaving.  This series was no different!  What great tips for properly managing the shuttle and not fussing with the selvedges!  Thank you, Jane.  And congratulations on your People’s Choice Award winning mohair blanket at Fibres West!

Gale
                                              Participant

I just finished weaving 60″ of a 4 yard warp using your “beat on an open shed” instructions Jane and I can’t believe how little draw in there is and the selvedges are almost perfect! Best tip I’ve had after decades of weaving. Thank you so much.
                                                Gale, Seguin, Ontario

Kathleen
                                                Participant

I could not be happier!  I am a self taught beginning, sort of, weaver.  I have looked at countless Youtube videos, read books and spent hours trying to work things out by myself.  The money I have invested in this on line guild has been the best money I have ever spent!  I have learned so much and just had to share my selvages after watching Episode 3.  I watched the first two episodes before winding my warp and this whole project (two baby blankets) has been painless and gone so smoothly!

Jane, I love your teaching style and thank you so much for helping me to become a better weaver!

Kat

IMG_1082IMG_1084

Jane
                                                    Keymaster

Awesome….Thank you to everyone who is posting.  The more we post and share the better.

I am so glad you are happy :^)

Sheila
                                                      Participant

Wow!  Those selvedges look fantastic!

Gabriele
                                                      Participant

So I am finally finished looking epsiode three! This time I need a little bit longer cause english isn’t my native language and the cute “dog” rhyme jumps through my brain and try to settle down. I  think it has found its home and now I will give it a try in my next project.  I am looking forward  the next epsiodes and more close ups when you ‘ll show us important new things like the litte diving dogtail or threadways while colours changes .I am so happy that there is this great online guild and help me with my weaving. Thanks!!

Jan Silver
                                                        Participant

So appreciate your wonderful teaching style and content! Went back to the section on holding the shuttle and teaching a newbie to weave. Very helpful for streamlining my weaving style. Also, I totally agree with the philosophy of beating on an open shed, keeping tension less than supertaut, and leaving the temple in the other room. Thanks Jane!

Jan in Seattle

Sasha Adams
                                                          Participant

I just had to share this. I’m weaving with chenille, the last on the Island, and didn’t realize how much difference it makes when I wind the bobbins correctly! Jane is right! (As usual) if it is wound the way she demonstrated in Lesson 3, the yarn doesn’t go flying off the bobbin, causing knots, spiraling around the ends, and great frustration. Chenille is already frustrating enough 😑 So if you haven’t tried winding a bobbin the “Jane Way” give it a whirl.

Sandra
                                                            Participant

Terrific episode!

I do have a question about something in the hemstitching video. Just before the hemstitching at the end of the weaving, Jane breaks the thread near the edge of the warp, to simulate running out. I’ve watched it a few times and cannot figure out what it is she is doing to begin the next thread. Can someone enlighten me, please and thank you?

Amr
                                                              Participant

Hi Everyone,

I’ve happily, just completed a marathon of viewing all the guild episodes to date.  I have a question regarding having allt he heddles on only one side of the harness.  If the heddles are metal, won’t having them all on one side made the harnesses heavier on one side and disrupt the balance of the harnesses?

I also can’t wait to wind some new bobbins the way Jane showed us–makes perfect sense.

Also, I use paper too between the warp as I wind on and learned a tip from another weaver.  I tie a long loop around the back beam and the bottom of the paper roll so as I weave, it rolls back up and doesn’t accumulate on the floor in a paper mess.

Thanks for such stellar episodes!

Alaa

Jane
                                                                  Keymaster

Hi Alaa,

All of my looms with the exception on my Leclerc Fannies and Wolf Pup have texsolv heddles and this is never a problem.  With the Fanny’s I often leave all my empty heddles on one side and it has never caused a problem.  My Wolf Pup has a bunch on one side and it has never caused a problem.  All I can suggest is try it and see what happens.

🙂 Jane

Maureen Janda
                                                                  Participant

I have another question about the guild membership. I currently don’t have a floor loom. I expected to get one very soon, but am having difficulty justifying the expense with the person who occupies the other side of the bed, who’s otherwise a fine person, but a bit tight in the hip pocket area :^( I’m feeling grouchy right now because my intended loom, a Louet David, was on sale at 20% off for a brief moment earlier this week, but I couldn’t persuade him and it’s over now. And—I didn’t even mention that the loom cost is just the tip of the iceberg – poor innocent.

Anyway, back to the question: since it’s possible that I may not even get a loom throughout this whole guild year, will it be possible next year, when I join for the second year, to also look back at the videos from year one, since I was a member then?? There’s so much great information, but not being in a position to actually put into practice what Jane teaches, because of, you know, no floor loom, sigh, I will probably forget some great points.

Sandra
                                                                      Keymaster

Hi Maureen – not to worry, as long as you are an active Online Guild Member, you will have access to those episodes.  BTW – good choice of loom to covet!  I love my Louet David.

In the meantime, you can use a lot of the techniques Jane is showing us when working on a table loom ☺️  Do you belong to a “brick and mortar” Guild?  Sometimes they have looms you can rent as a member.

Liberty
                                                                      Participant

Hi everyone,

I haven’t posted before but wanted to say how much I’m enjoying these videos!  I am a self taught weaver, I started 4 or 5 years ago and have watched so many videos and read so many books and blog posts and just really love weaving but thanks to this last set of videos my weaving looks so much nicer and I love the rhythm that I can get weaving your way Jane.  Thank you for all you are doing for us!

Liberty

Maria Horvath
                                                                        Participant

“”Well I’m a believer!!” Joined the Guild yesterday, viewed and re-viewed Episode 3 as I had a warp on my Fanny already. From the smoothest flowing bobbins I have ever used (dear little sausages) to the comfortable hand and open shed beating  rhythm, to the well-explained hemstitching for this lefty; THANK YOU JANE!  Already my selvedges are remarkably improved and I am spending more time weaving rather than fiddling.  All of which is to say, thank you for bringing joy and a sense of mastery to this weaver!!

• #32199
                                                                          Wendy Knudson
                                                                          Participant

I’m amazed at how adopting just a few of the techniques shown in the videos has been enough to drastically improve my selvages. They have been one of the most frustrating parts of weaving for me, despite all of the experimenting I’ve done. I’m currently weaving dishtowels in 8/2 cotton on my Leclerc Mira, and I have to say the selvages look great! Still very minor issues on the right side, but I’m sure that will improve as well. I’m really excited for my next project so I can try out some of the other things I’ve learned!

• #32262
                                                                            Lin
                                                                            Participant

I have the same question as Sandra (March 29th) but cannot find the answer…

“Just before the hemstitching at the end of the weaving, Jane breaks the thread near the edge of the warp, to simulate running out. I’ve watched it a few times and cannot figure out what it is she is doing to begin the next thread. Can someone enlighten me, please and thank you?”

Many thanks

Lin

• #32263
                                                                                Wendy Knudson
                                                                                Participant

I’m a bit confused about the wording of your question.  Are you referring to tucking the tails? It’s covered in more detail in Episode 5, as well as sone other techniques.

• #32264
                                                                                    Lin
                                                                                    Participant

Believe Sandra & I are asking about the 25 minute mark:  Jane is doing log cabin but doesn’t want the join to show where she had to add a new thread.  She says it would be thicker (& visible) & would drive her nuts so she doesn’t tuck the tail.  She starts a new thread from the left side but we can’t see it.  How does she ‘anchor’ it on both sides so that she can just trim it off at the end?

If this is covered in episode 5, please let us know where to look.

Thanks

Lin

• #32266
                                                                                  Sandra
                                                                                  Keymaster

Hi Lin,  I’m not sure I understand what you are asking 🙁   Jane would have tucked the tail in on the left which would secure the new weft she added.  I think Sandra was asking about running out of thread in the hemstitching.  Jane covered that in Episode 5 during the lesson on hemstitching.  If I’m not understanding your question correctly, please let me know.  Jane is away at a weaving conference and won’t be back in the studio until next week.

• #32302
                                                                                    Wendy Knudson
                                                                                    Participant

At some point in the future, could you include a more close up video of how you fixed the broken warp thread including how you handle the other end at the back of the loom?  I looked up the written explanation of the fix on the Helpline, but I’m still not absolutely clear how it’s done.

• #32640
                                                                                        Wendy Knudson
                                                                                        Participant

I watched the video a few more times, and I think I’ve got a better handle on the fix for the broken wrap thread. I agree, it’s much preferable to the weighted threads hanging off the back beam.

• #33217
                                                                                        Angela
                                                                                        Participant

Hi Jane,

I thoroughly enjoyed this episode and all of the episodes. I was wondering if linen was one of your exceptions to beating with an open shed. Do you recommend beating linen with an open or closed shed.

Thank you,

Angela

• #33221
                                                                                            Jane
                                                                                            Keymaster

Hi Angela,
                                                                                              I beat everything on an open shed with exception of dented fabrics. For those where I’m trying to control the placement of the first two picks, I beat on a closed shed….but everything else is open all the way 🙂

• #35156
                                                                                            CATHY
                                                                                            Participant

2 questions regarding LEASE STICKS:

They were left in during the final tye up.  Does it not change things a wee bit when they are removed?

I see you do not continue to weave with them left in place.  Is there a time when you do leave them in?

Cathy Tea
                                                                                              PS: Throughly enjoying your on-line guild.

• #35185
                                                                                                Jane Stafford
                                                                                                Participant

I have never noticed any difference whether I take them out before or after I tie-on to the front.  I never leave them in, but you can if you want :).

As long as you tie them back so they don’t inhibit your shed from opening they won’t hurt anything…..so do what you feel comfortable doing.  If I ever needed to put them back in I just step on the plain weave sheds and put them back.  But in all my years of weaving I can’t think of anytime I have had to do this.

• #59215
                                                                                                KateW
                                                                                                Participant

I loved this episode! So many great little tips in these videos. I especially loved watching you hemstitch. I’ve only tried it once before and it felt so awkward. I can’t wait to try it again, now with better hand motions!

One question on hemstitching….  Would you always hemstitch over 4 threads? Do you consider yarn thickness or style of fringe twisting (2, 3, or 4 twist)? Just curious….before I start my own experiments. 😉

• #59249
                                                                                                  Sandra
                                                                                                  Keymaster

KateW – the answer in my weaving is – it depends 😉  If you are using a weft that is very fine and might shift a bit – I might use 4 before my fringe.  If it were cotton or linen and I would be adding a twisted fringe, I might only use 2.  All you need is to be sure that your ends are secure for the way your item will be washed and it’s final use.  Do what feels right for you and continue to have fun!

Viewing 29 reply threads
                                                                                                • The forum ‘Season 1 – Foundation’ is closed to new topics and replies.