Episode 1 : Tell us what you Think

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 1 – Foundation Episode 1 : Tell us what you Think

Viewing 70 reply threads
  • Author
      Jane
      Keymaster

Welcome to the JST Online Guild Forum.  This is your place, to stay in touch and share with each other….to create your own community around what you have learned from the videos.

Let us know what you think about episode 1 and feel free to ask your fellow weavers for help and advice on anything and everything covered in our very first episode.

Sandra
        Keymaster

I think it’s brilliant! I don’t know about everyone else, but new ideas register in this brain when I’m ready for them. How wonderful it will be to gave access to Jane on video 24/7! I know that each time I watch an episode, something else will set off that lightbulb!

Sue
            Participant

I have gotten so much information from this first installment!   I have wound 9 warp chains for many new projects! 8 scarves, 4 antimacassars, 8 dishtowels (Can you tell I’m excited?)  I hang my warping board from my stepladder using velcro.  It allows me to hang at a level for either  standing or sitting to wind my warp, and is heavy enough that I can still “walk the wall” to chain it off.

I’ll start beaming for the first pair of scarves this afternoon.

20170117_134345

laurarose
                Participant

I am so excited to have made a warp with 4 strands at once and not gotten all tangled up in them!i had done 2 but never brave enough to try 4   It turns out I had been turning my warping mill the wrong direction for being right handed.  This revelation alone was amazing. I’m still not sure I did the bottom peg quite the best way.  You had to kind of twist my hand the other direction so it may be twisty at the bottom. I’m doing 3 warps for this project and sleying at the table and warping front to back so I’m not too worried about it, but if anyone has any suggestions.  Not the best chain ever, but it will do.  I don’t have break on my mill so I kick a chair in and out of the way to stop it spinning while chaining. IMG_0433

Ginette
              Keymaster

Jane is such an amazing teacher who is bringing this wonderful online guild to us! First episode is filled with her knowledge and instructions on how to make a good warp which is so essential! Step by step, great visuals and easy to understand instructions. It includes warping on a board, table top mill & floor mill! Bonus! It’ll prepare weavers to make great warps!

Linda
                Participant

Worked great! I watched the whole episode with a break in the middle. Was able to navigate in and out easily. It was fun to watch and I learned a few things too. Good job!

Ellen Mark
                  Participant

Jane makes learning easy and is so generous with her knowledge. I especially like being able to go back to different parts of the espsode when I want to revisit something specific. The online guilds is a ‘wow’ already!

Inga
                    Participant

I really enjoyed it. I think I’ll start using my warping board again. I hated warping on it and got myself that huge warping wheel. Overkill for short warps and really takes a lot of room when opened. Now I can’t wait for the sequel.

Marianne
                      Participant

This is great. Learned one thing in the first video, need to get more spools. Never thought of using my electric bobbin winder to wind yarn from a skein onto a spool. Would work great also for those long 400yd skeins of sock yarn for knitting. Using the handcrank ball winder gets very tiring when the skein is that long, specially when trying to wind the lace weight ones that are 1500yds and up.
                        Will watch more videos later in the week.

Venke
                        Participant

Thoroughly enjoyed it! I am looking forward to winding better warps now. Also, After seeing how silk is managed from a skein winder to a bobbin, I feel more confident to make a warp with it.

Lisa
                          Participant

This is going to be an amazing resource for weavers. What a gift Jane is giving all of us – so many tips and tricks and a good grounding in the basics – too many of which I skipped right over when I started weaving. It’s time to unlearn those bad habits and really focus on good basic form. I can’t wait for the next installment.

Carol
                            Participant

Loved the warping segment- wished I had this video earlier- so easy to follow- will greatly improve my tension problems- worth the cost of the whole year. Cannot wait for what is to follow!

Julie
                              Participant

I also learned a lot from the first video on warping, thanks so much. I would like to see your hands better, like when you say you are using your little finger to separate the 2 threads as you warp. And why is that necessary? Also, do you need to secure your chained warp so it does not unravel? Perhaps doing it smaller and tightly it does not need to be secured? Again thanks, going to practice warps a lot before the next video.

Kathleen McDonald
                                  Participant

Hi Julie – I posted this on another thread on this forum, but you may not have seen it.  This is the link to Utube and it shows Jane counting threads – nice close ups:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFAfQ_E045Y

Maureen Janda
                                      Participant

The video is absolutely clear, thanks.

laurarose
                                        Participant

@KathleenMcDonald  thank you for the you tube link to Jane counting.  I couldn’t see it so well in the episode.  About to wind a warp so I will try it!!

Ginette
                                            Keymaster

Love your colours!  In episode 5 Jane reviews a few unfinished business items from the earlier episodes and shows again how to count the threads.  You can find the counting threads in 5.5

Ginette

Sandra
                                        Keymaster

Hi Julie – Jane separates each thread between her fingers, whether she is winding 2 or more. This way she maintains the tension on each thread and ensures that they don’t twist on each other. Also, she never puts cinch ties on her warps because she chains them very tightly, always under strong tension. This takes a lot of practice, that’s why she suggests you wind many short warps and practice warping and chaining over and over again until you can keep your warp under firm tension. However, having said that – Jane always says that there is no wrong way if it works for you and you get a good result. If you are more comfortable putting cinch ties on your warp – go ahead and do it!

Heather
                                          Participant

Brilliant as a fairly new weaver I have learnt such a lot. Can’t wait until the next episode!

NANCY
                                            Participant

Thank you for making these videos! While I have been weaving for 3 years it is wonderful to see the steps in weaving from another person. It is like I am in a classroom with you! I look forward to all the videos to come.

Dawn
                                              Participant

Thank you for a wonderful resource, I am mainly self taught, so this is confirming we’re I am doing it right, and more importantly were I am going wrong.

It was wonderful seeing the warping mill demonstration, I bought mine with out any tuition, being disabled I have to adapt things so I can use them.

Brilliant idea the on line guild and videos, tuition from an excellent teacher who I doubt I will be able to avail myself of an in person workshop, unless Jane comes to the UK.

Can’t wait for the next instalments

Victoria
                                                Participant

I am a new weaver. I am confused as to why 4 threads and then change to two threads. Is this based on your pattern? Could you explain more. I learned so much from this episode. 😊

Sandra
                                                  Keymaster

Hi Victoria,

Jane often winds her warp keeping to the pattern of her final cloth. So, when she was winding the colour and weave warp in video 3, she explained how and why she wound it that way. There is a lot of information packed in each video – sometimes it helps me to go through something like this video over again to pick up on things I might have missed the first time. Have fun!

Linda GM
                                                    Participant

The videos are wonderful! I am not a new weaver and mostly self taught but have taken a few weaving classes in the last few years. There are always tweaks to the process that provides a smoother more enjoyable experience and I am finding many things I want to try. It’s a great start!

Alissa Roode
                                                      Participant

Answered probably my biggest … not question, really, more like issue… with my table-top warping mill. I’ve been stacking my threads from the top, not the bottom, and it gets awkward on the corners, and I couldn’t figure out a way around it! Thanks!

Oriane
                                                        Participant

I have learned so much already! There are several things that I now know to do differently on my next warp to make my tension more even.
                                                          Question: I am winding my warps (on a table-top vertical mill) from cones, not spools, and just letting them unspool while standing on the floor. Is this wrong? Should I mount the cones on dowels so the yarn can unspool horizontally? Since they are cones, not spools, won’t this make them unspool unevenly? Should I wind them onto spools (from the cones) before making the warp? That seems like such a big extra task, especially since I do all bobbin winding with a handwinder.
                                                          Thank you!

Jane
                                                            Keymaster

Hi Oriane,
                                                              That is just fine….cones should stand up straight. If you are working with multiple ends from cones and they bind on each other spread them out a bit. I used to do that with my kids. One in the back seat, one in the middle and one up front with me. Just so they didn’t touch each other :^)

Rebecca
                                                            Participant

I really enjoyed all of the videos and learned a lot! One question, though – all of the chained warps were declared “done” when the last loop was formed near the cross. If you are going to need to move the chained warp around, it seems like the end would need to be secured somehow so it can’t unchain on its own. What do you recommend?

Jane
                                                              Keymaster

Hi Rebecca,
                                                                Because I chain so tightly I don’t have to do anything. They don’t pull apart easily. You have to pull them apart. When Charlotte is on a warping binge and she makes many warps in one day….they each go in their own plastic bag until they are needed. That is the great thing about chaining so tightly. You just have to do it to see the benefit. As with everything you see me do….just try it…cause you just might come to love it and if you don’t love it…that’s okay too :^)

Oriane
                                                                Participant

Thanks!

Tessa Hornidge
                                                                  Participant

I enjoyed this so much! I usually warp sectionally but this made we want to have fun with some shorter warps off my board. What a great resource, so many fantastic tips!

Sarah
                                                                    Participant

I really enjoyed the first sessions. Learning new things immediately is so great. I’m sure to be going back to review each segment to make sure I’ve not missed anything. I may even try the warping mill again. We haven’t been on speaking terms for a while :).

Dorothy
                                                                      Participant

Holy wow you are indeed the Goddess of weaving! I too watched it all in one sitting and have picked up many new tips and ideas. Watching you two counting threads was a bit mind boggling and something I will try ‘one of these days’ but for now I’ll stick with a counting thread. Thank you for a great resource.

Deb Austin
                                                                        Participant

Thank you, thank you, thank you – for your teaching method, your techniques and your generosity of sharing with us all. I learned so much in just this first session. Can hardly wait for #2!

• #28996
                                                                          Lynne
                                                                          Participant

Well worth the cost of membership with all the info already received in the videos. I watched all of the sessions today. I now understand why my tension has never been very good. Thank you so much for your help….I’m excited for my next project….Lynne

• #29015
                                                                            Dori
                                                                            Participant

Excellent start! I am on a satellite connection and usually I am stuck watching little segments of a video c;ass over a period of days because of the allotment & fees. So far I am halfway through episode 1 and will be able to watch the entire episode in 1 sitting! Even though I have been weaving for a couple of years, I am learning new tricks and techniques! Thanks!!

• #29017
                                                                              Herb
                                                                              Participant

Thanks Jane. Whether in person or on video, every time I come into contact with you I learn something useful about my weaving and gain more insight into my practice as a weaver. I appreciated your emphasis on tension. I do attend to tension when wrapping a warp, but maybe not as much as I should. Usually, I’m more attuned to tension in the warp when I’m beaming it. I’ll pay more attention to it now when I’m wrapping a warp. Also, I like your idea of setting the bobbins horizontally in a shoe box. I’m going to try that. I think that it’ll help the ends run more smoothly, especially when wrapping more than one end at a time.

I must admit that I choke-tie my warps, even a 3 meter warp, about 9 times (including the 4 ties for the cross). I feel that it helps keep the warp from twisting as I beam it. Maybe, I’ll moderate that practice. One other thing that I do is I use a chain at the cross as I’m wrapping the warp. Usually, I tie the chain after wrapping about 20 ends +/-. It helps me not only keep a count, but also when I spread the warp ends onto the raddle. The other thing that I don’t do is chain my warp when I take it off, probably because I’m not very good at chaining even though I used to do it with prussik when Deb and I were younger and climbing. I wrap the warp around my neck, arms… I think I’ll give chaining a try if only to not look ridiculous as I walk to the loom with the warp. Again, thanks.

• #29018
                                                                                Janet
                                                                                Participant

I’m super-pleased! Very clear and very helpful!

• #29023
                                                                                  Denise
                                                                                  Participant

Thoroughly enjoyed sitting by my fireplace watching and learning! Gotta love online learning. I’m mainly self taught and warping is my biggest hurdle, tonight I’ve learned answers to a number of things that I can do differently to help with my tension and thank goodness I can abandon that bottom cross and counting chain….I’ve been confused by that on more than one occasion! Only one problem…I looked at your classes on Salt Spring and the entire year is full, maybe next year I’ll get up there in person.
                                                                                    Very much looking forward to the next episodes, til then, will watch these again and practice. Thank you Jane & Charlotte!

• #29061
                                                                                    Debbie
                                                                                    Participant

I really enjoyed part one. Viewed it all in one sitting. I love that I can do a replay if theres some little detail I missed or that I want to review. In my humble opinion, it is almost better than being in a classroom setting. I’m looking forward to progressing with Jane through the weaving process. This was a fabulous idea and I am so happy to be a part of it!! Thankyou! Thankyou!

• #29062
                                                                                      Dorothy
                                                                                      Participant

I’d like to change the setting that sends posts to my email. I untick the box for sending notification but with no result. Help please
                                                                                        Dorothy

• #29063
                                                                                        Ginette
                                                                                        Keymaster

Hi Dorothy, are you talking about the ‘subscribe’ option at the top of each forum?

Ginette

• #29064
                                                                                          Sandra
                                                                                          Keymaster

Hi Dorothy – I haven’t tried this but by any chance did you click on the “submit” after you unticked the box? If you did, and that didn’t work, I’ll notify Jane.

• #29065
                                                                                            Ginette
                                                                                            Keymaster

Hi Sandra, too funny, I just subscribe and received a notification to test it out.

Dorothy, go to the main page of the forums, make sure you’ve ‘unsubscribe’ as well as each forum you’ve subscribe to that you now want to ‘unsubscribe’. You can choose which forum to subscribe to by the way. Pretty neat!

• #29067
                                                                                              Sandra
                                                                                              Keymaster

Hi back at you Ginette! I’ve just been ticking the box at the bottom which notifies me of follow-up replies by email. Hopefully, Dorothy will let us know what works for her! We’re all learning – in more ways than one 😉

• #29074
                                                                                                Dorothy
                                                                                                Participant

I don’t want to unsubscribe I just don’t want followup emails

• #29075
                                                                                                  Sandra
                                                                                                  Keymaster

OK – that’s what I thought. Did you uncheck the box at the bottom and tap on “Submit”? If that doesn’t work we’ll let Jane’s technical guru know 🙂

• #29078
                                                                                                    Beverly
                                                                                                    Participant

Such valuable information. So glad to have access to this online information.

• #29081
                                                                                                      Kathleen McDonald
                                                                                                      Participant

I have thoroughly enjoyed Jane’s first Episode in her online guild. Nice to see someone else works in their bare feet like I do! That aside, I am happy that I have an online diversion from my academic degree which is also done online. A nice balance of creative/academic online learning. I cannot wait until next month for more fun!

• #29082
                                                                                                        stephanie
                                                                                                        Participant

this is great! i am so new to weaving i haven’t had a chance to learn bad habits yet so i am pretty excited to start with a pro.

february’s installment seems so far away…

• #29091
                                                                                                          Gail
                                                                                                          Participant

This is just in time for me to wind my first cotton warp. I’ll have to practice that counting technique, slowly.
                                                                                                            I’m a relatively new weaver, so as expected I learned a lot. To my surprise as a longtime knitter, I also learned something new about using my swift. Thanks for the tip about snapping the skein to straighten it before placing it on the swift.

• #29148
                                                                                                            Jeanne
                                                                                                            Participant

I just watched the first episode and just wanted to say that I thought it was great – I warp on a warping board and got a lot of insight into what I’ve been doing wrong (and probably why my warps are horribly tangled all the time). Can’t wait to wind the next one! I will say – watching the episode made me want an electric bobbin winder and perhaps a warping mill….this could get expensive! Thank you for doing this – I really enjoyed it and can’t wait for the next one.

• #29173
                                                                                                              Jill
                                                                                                              Participant

Wow, this was just in time for me as my warping board “jumped” off the wall two days ago. Commander hooks do NOT work. I will definitely be using screws in the future. I liked the “walking the walk.” I’m not sure what I have been doing, but I totally lose control of my warp during removal from the board. I can’t wait to try my next warp. Thanks, Jane!

• #29176
                                                                                                                Carol
                                                                                                                Participant

I am so happy to have this learning opportunity. The videos are great. I love that I can watch them anytime and rewatch as needed! Jane must have known that I wasn’t pushing each thread back on the peg as I go: I was winding a few times around the board, then pushing a whole group of threads back on each peg. Jane’s advise to push back each thread as you wind is enough to pay for the whole year of videos. Many more tips to improve my warping. I have always had trouble chaining the warp: it falls right off the pegs ahead of me: can’t wait to wind my next warp & try the rubber bands on the ends of the pegs!!!!! Thanks, Jane, for this wonderful series. Only 2 things I would like to see improved on: 1. closer video shots of details as Jane explains, such as a better shot of fingers separating the warp threads and counting the threads. 2. Sometimes when Jane turns away from camera, especially turning away and looking down at the same time, it can be hard to hear. Headphones aren’t going to help me on that as some have suggested.

I noticed that there is another Carol on the forum, so I will sign as Carol Jean.

• #29210
                                                                                                                  Karen
                                                                                                                  Participant

It’s absolutely brilliant!!  Love it. Thank you so much for creating such a useful resource.  Easy to navigate through, pause for bathroom breaks, etc.

Looking forward to the next instalment.

• #29237
                                                                                                                    HELEN
                                                                                                                    Participant

I enjoyed watching your video. You are sooooo relaxed, funny, informative and it’s very easy to understand what you are demonstrating.  I will be watching these videos over and over because there is so much information in them.  I’m a very new weaver, having only warped one large warp for teatowels and 3 smaller scarf warps. Each time I messed up but things turned out ok. You’ve made it look so easy and the idea of just making warp after warp, practicing the chain using scrap yarn just never occurred to me!  I’ve always felt intimidated by the whole process. Thanks for all of those tips and reinforcing that there is no “right” way.

• #29240
                                                                                                                        Sandra
                                                                                                                        Keymaster

Helen, how wonderful to have Jane “by your side” as a new weaver!

I taught myself from books with occasional help from a Guild member, and I’m still relearning and trying to get rid of bad habits!  The Online Guild is an amazing resource for new and old weavers alike 😉

• #29238
                                                                                                                        Amr
                                                                                                                        Participant

Jane’s relaxed teaching style makes anything and everything doable.  The winding on the warping board makes so much sense that I wish I had one attached to a wall.  I stopped using it because of some of the issues mentioned in the video.

Since I use a warping mill, and have never actually seen anyone use one or been given a demonstration, it was really useful to see how it’s done.  Some concerns I have when using them were addressed, such as how to remove the warp while keeping it from turning.

I’m really pleased to be able to learn from such a positive, knowledgeable teacher. I just wish I didn’t have to wait a month for the next tutorial.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Amr.
                                                                                                                        • #29279
                                                                                                                          Christine
                                                                                                                          Participant

It was great. I learned some new things and was inspired. It made me go to my partially done warp on my reel and finish it. Warping multiple ends was a big help. And counting Jane’s way sure is quicker than tying every inch of warp threads. I may wind another warp or two before seeing how Jane dresses the loom.😊 While I wait, I will work on my tapestry weaving.

• #29327
                                                                                                                            Diana
                                                                                                                            Participant

Great videos Jane. Very happy I signed up.  Can’t wait for the next ones.

I am going to use your techniques to wind the huck lace tea towel warp I bought at Fibres West in the spring.

• #29329
                                                                                                                              Lisa
                                                                                                                              Participant

The videos for those of us that are visual learners have the feel of being in the room with you.  I was avoiding my Octado loom because of needing visual tutorials.  Thank you so much.  I too agree close up shots of your hands/fingers or slowing a moment of the film would be helpful.  This is such a good investment for those who are not able to come to your classes.  Here’s to dusting off all the equipment and starting to weaving in 2017!  I’m pushing the boundaries of plain weave to achieve more art textiles to fabricate into finished garments.  Having a solid foundation from you is priceless!

• #29330
                                                                                                                                Regina Noble
                                                                                                                                Participant

I loved this first video.  I knew the instruction would be great because I use Jane’s video to warp my David every single time.  I honestly think the reason I even like warping my loom (rather than just weaving) is because she makes it so clean and simple in the Louet video.  But I especially liked that the guild video was in ‘chapters’ also.  I watched the entire video this time even though I do not have a warping mill at all – either table top or floor.  I already know that when I get one, I will be able to come back and just look at the section that applies to what I get.

I currently use a warping board, and have had no trouble with it, but even within the first 10 minutes, she covered something that will make my warping better.  It’s all the ‘little tips’ that are so very helpful!!!

• #29337
                                                                                                                                  Jean Curry
                                                                                                                                  Participant

Beautiful job, Jane. This is a wonderful resource for weavers working at home. Thank you for sharing all your tips and tricks. Very much looking forward to the next instalment.

• This reply was modified 7 years, 5 months ago by Jean Curry.
                                                                                                                                  • #29346
                                                                                                                                    Mary
                                                                                                                                    Participant

Absolutely love these video’s! Now I have Jane in my studio anytime I want! 😉  I think this was a fabulous idea to create this online Guild, so many helpful tips and learning moments! And as usual, I had big smiles and chuckles as I watched Jane in her unique teaching style!

Thanks Jane! ;-D

• #29446
                                                                                                                                      Maggie
                                                                                                                                      Participant

Wonderful videos Jane. The only problem I had was knowing what you were saying when you turned away. I Know you have to turn away while you are working and explaining what you are doing but I am completely deaf so I rely on lip reading. Is there any chance of having subtitles?

I was especially pleased to see you with the warping reel. I have a Louet warping reel which I love but I was getting a lot of bunching at the corners. Now I know how to avoid that. I am an experienced weaver but it never hurts to recap on everything. There is always much to learn.

• #29447
                                                                                                                                        Sandra
                                                                                                                                        Keymaster

Hi Maggie!  Did you see Jane’s reply to your question about subtitles on Ravelry?  I’ll copy it here so you and others can see what she discovered when she looked in to it:

Hi There Grannymags,
                                                                                                                                          I had a meeting this morning with my tech guru who really has made all this happen and he told me it would take approx. 10 hours of editing per full episode or 1 hour of video ish to do the sub titles.  The next episode is over 2 hours long.  We need to get our subscriptions up if we want to do these extras because they do cost quite a bit.  I know it might all seem easy but it really is very expensive to do this.  We still have 6 more to film this year.   I’m so sorry that I have to say no at this time.   I really am sorry.

I am wearing a lapel mic through the whole shoot but that doesn’t help if you are reading lips.   I do get it.   Maybe we’ll grow and grow and then we can be everything that everyone wants us to be :^)

• #29482
                                                                                                                                          Barbara
                                                                                                                                          Participant

Love the videos!  Is there a way to cast them to my TV? I have Chromecast.   Would love to watch them on the big screen like I do my Craftsy classes.

• #29488
                                                                                                                                            Sandra
                                                                                                                                            Keymaster

Hi Barbara,

I haven’t tried Chromecast, nor do I know how it works.  However, I’ve just tried it with my iPad and Apple TV and it worked beautifully.  I also tried Interweave and Craftsy as well, and they worked.  So – my very unscientific experiment makes my think that if you can get Craftsy to stream to your TV then you should be able to get, a larger than life Jane – depending on the size of your TV – to join you at home 😉

Let us know if it works!

• #29498
                                                                                                                                              Barbara
                                                                                                                                              Participant

Unfortunately, I have an android phone and Kindle Fire tablets…so maybe that’s my problem.  I will keep trying but in the mean time,if anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

Thanks, Sharon.
                                                                                                                                                <p style=”text-align: left;”>Barb</p>

• #29569
                                                                                                                                                Margaret
                                                                                                                                                Participant

I learned so much about warping that I had missed in other classes. You stressed some of the important little details and reviewed them several times. I also learned more about counting the threads . Thanks for all the excellent instruction.

• #29592
                                                                                                                                                  Marina Novokshanoff
                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Loved Episode 1. I was just about to google on how to warp 4 ends at once ( had 4 dif colors).

enen though my hands did not want to cooperate and it did not go as smooth as on the video, I managed to warp 240 ends without cutting and joining at every turn!!!!! I will perfect this technic!!!!!!

Can’t wait for episode 2!!!

• #29619
                                                                                                                                                    Sue
                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Very informative, clear and especially helpful for a newbie like me!  I’m looking forward to the next Episode–when will that be available?

• #29620
                                                                                                                                                      Kathleen McDonald
                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Jane updated the Episode list on the main Online Guild page.  It lists the Episode name and date.  Episode 2 is Warping the loom from back to front and is scheduled for release on February 9th.

Here is the link: https://janestaffordtextiles.com/online-guild/

• #29684
                                                                                                                                                        Elizabeth
                                                                                                                                                        Participant

Loved it! The instruction on counting the warp threads was worth the cost of the year’s subscription. I’m dragging my feet on warping my next project because I want to watch episode 2 first!

• This reply was modified 7 years, 4 months ago by Elizabeth.
                                                                                                                                                        • #29753
                                                                                                                                                          Michelle
                                                                                                                                                          Participant

Absolutely loved the first episode and can hardly wait for Episode 2 and others. So many helpful tips and Jane is a delightful and engaging host to watch. I’m very happy with my purchase of the online guild and I can see that I will definetly get my money’s worth. Thank you.

• #30263
                                                                                                                                                            Rod and Bea
                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Thank you Jane, I’ve watched episode 1 twice, once on my own and once with my husband. I’m a new weaver, only done one project by myself and 3 blankets with help from my husband on our guild loom. This is so exciting, I’ve learned so much from your videos.

• #30491
                                                                                                                                                              Diane
                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Excellent episode with many useful tips. I’ve been” learning – by- doing” for several years and usually have problems with tension and twisting when I start dressing the loom. I’m anxious to finish weaving my towel warp so I can practice your method.

Do you have any helpful hints on wrapping a warp for a multi colored stripped tea towel ?

• #37058
                                                                                                                                                                Liz
                                                                                                                                                                Participant

Hi Jane,

I am enjoying all the episodes and really appreciate your lovely relaxed approach.  I am working through the first five episodes for the second time and find I am still making some basic mistakes but things are improving!

A suggestion:  If you do another guild meeting where you cover a few old business questions or new business, could you spend a few minutes on explaining what the cross is, why it is important, what to do if you find you have made a mistake and mixed up the cross on a couple of threads when you go to dress the loom, why you might end up with two crosses (does it matter) and who was the brilliant person who figured out the cross in the first place!?

Thanks!

Liz

• #37094
                                                                                                                                                                    Jane
                                                                                                                                                                    Keymaster

Hi Jaqueline,

First suggestion is to move the peg at the bottom further along the cross piece. Put it in the middle or other end and you will have more room at that corner.  You can actually pull that corner up a bit to get more squish 🙂 and absolutley use a synch string to pull it up.  Sometimes you just have to make your warp in smaller sections.  Hope this helps,

Jane

• This reply was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by Jane.
                                                                                                                                                                      • #37101
                                                                                                                                                                        Jacqueline
                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

I will give your suggestions a try! Thanks very much Jane.

• #37059
                                                                                                                                                                      Jacqueline
                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

I am a new weaver and recently purchased the Leclerc warping mill, I am so happy with this purchase. I am concerned though about the warp buildup on that last bottom corner by the peg. I can only “squish up”so far. Is it okay that the threads in this location overlap? I can’t imagine trying to have a wide warp all bunched up in that little 2-3” corner and not having possible problems later on. I thought I might add a synch string before the corner to help. Any suggestions? Thank you!

Viewing 70 reply threads
                                                                                                                                                                    • The forum ‘Season 1 – Foundation’ is closed to new topics and replies.