Episode 1 – Introduction to Twills & Simple Two Stripe Sample

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 4 – Twills on Four Weaving Discussion Episode 1 – Introduction to Twills & Simple Two Stripe Sample

Viewing 19 reply threads
  • Author
      Ginette
      Keymaster

A new year, a new adventure, all about Twills on 4!

• This topic was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Sandra.
        • This topic was modified 1 month, 1 week ago by Ginette.
        loobitzh
        Participant

Hi  So good to be back with season 4.  Happy New Year everyone!

Just wondering where the ‘comments’ section has dissappeared to under each video!  Im a creature of habit and notice these things.  I used to enjoy reading them and adding to them…..???

Great Start to Twills Jane and love all the samples supplied by the team…  Thank you all!

Ginette
            Keymaster

and Happy New Year to you as well!

In your email this morning from JST, we explain how the comments under the episodes will now work. Just in case you haven’t had a chance to look it up, here’s the blurb about it below. Happy viewing of the lesson!

JST Forum
              We are always trying to make things better

Hi kids, we’ve been listening to you and are trying to improve our Online Guild Forum to create an easier place to find your answers and ask your questions. As we go into Season 4 of the Online Guild, we will initially create a Forum dedicated to our journey into Twills on 4. That way, if you have a question about twills – you have a quick place to go to see if your question has already been asked and answered. Instant success and you can continue with your twill project. If not, ask your question and it will be easily found by others on the same journey as you. If you would take the time to add tags below your question (in the tags dedicated spot), you will add to everyone’s ability to find answers faster. In Season 4 – comments under the episodes will be changed shortly and will no longer be available but, in the meantime, you will be directed to the Twills on 4 Forum.

Once the Season 4 Forum is running smoothly, we will slowly move the other Seasons over to a Forum dedicated to each season.

You forgot to mention what type of loom you are using for your tie-up.  CM, CB or Jack.

Jane
              Keymaster

I was using a Louet David which is a sinking shed loom.

Michelle
              Participant

My mind is blown! I have been weaving for three years now and draw downs might as well have been in Greek until now. Jane you have such a wonderful way of teaching a concept and make it so easy to understand. I now find it hard to believe that drawdowns were such a mystery to me. Thank you for the enlightenment this episode truly was an aha moment for me. I have learned so many wonderful things along the way and I thank you every time I wind on a 13 yard warp by myself, repair errors or broken warp threads, and so many other things that I have learned. Thank you thank you thank you.

Michelle

Margaret
                Participant

I’ve watched half of the videos and have the yarn in my hot little hands. So my dilemma now is winding the warp. I only have a 9 yard warping board and the sample calls for 10. Jane also said that 10 yards wasn’t enough so how should I separate the yardage?  More opportunity to dress the loom obviously 🙄.  Should I go with 2 six yard warps? 6 and 4?  5 and 5?   Ack!

Jane
                  Keymaster

Why don’t you just make a 9 yard warp.  You might be sick of it by then 🙂  If not…you can make another one and you’ll know what you have in mind by that time.

Kathleen Sobe
                    Participant

I have a Mighty Wolf.  Since it is a Jack loom should I mark the drawdown opposite of what you did?  Or should I just remember it’s a liftplan

Mardi Naythons
                      Participant

The lesson on draw downs is really helpful. I Have a question as I have a countermarche loom. Is that drawdown the same as counterbalance?

Jane
                          Keymaster

Hi Mardi,

It would be the same if you think about your upper lamms.  They are your sinkers.  I always think in sinking shed and design in sinking shed.  Just remember that your upper lamms are your sinker and you lower lamms are your risers.  With all this simple twill stuff it really doesn’t matter….you just turn your fabric over and you have both 🙂

Susan Ott
                          Participant

I don’t know if I missed something, but did Jane ever do the log cabin?  She said she was starting it but only did one change of color.  Did I miss it?

mbartlo
                            Participant

My current problem regards getting a clean shed lifting 3 against one on my jack loom, Baby Wolf. The down harness threads want to float up.  Any suggestions.

It’s really fun revisiting the graphic sequences.  I haven’t thought about parrot in a while…..

Thanks, Mary

mbartlo
                              Participant

Happy to say I just solved my posted problem about the shed on my Baby Wolf.  My fellow JST member and friend Pam suggested I raise the position of the beater.  Worked like a charm and I am back in business with my sample and the hope of a regular beat now that all the sheds are clean.

Ruth Anne
                                Participant

Jane mentions (and shows) that that she wove a scarf with the 2 stripe sample.  Did she use 2/8 cotton?  I am trying to decide what to do next and have lots of cotton, bambu 7 and tencel. I found some Thai silk in my stash for the supplementary warp piece but it was too fine – like weaving with sewing thread and made the piece very fragile. I am trying to use as much of my stash as possible. Suggestions? Ruth Anne Saskatchewan

Ginette
                                    Keymaster

Hi Ruth Anne,

Yes, Jane used the 2/8 cotton as the weft. Are you sampling? If so, I would use some of the yarns and try it out for sure. Your tencel, is it the 2/8 in size?

Brenda Reimer
                                    Participant

I’m really jumping ahead here with the lessons, but in between learning the rest of plain weave, I am wanting to weave two baby blankets for gifts by April using these wonderful twill ideas! What would you suggest for the SETT for 5/2 cotton for 40 inch blankets?

Ruth Anne
                                      Participant

Yes, tencel is 2/8.  I used it in the last plaid sample in the Colour and Weave Year, following Jane’s lead and changing the sett to 16.  It has a nice drape even unwashed so I will try that.  Have to remember this is twill.

fudsy1
                                        Participant

I have finished all the 2/2 twill samples and am ready to start the 3/1 & 1/3 samples on my David, the question I have is as I’m watching Jane weave the first set of stripes @ 55 minutes in it appears she is going over the float selvage during the 1/2/3 – 2/3/4 – etc  set.  Is this correct or does it matter??

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 2 days ago by fudsy1.
                                            Ginette
                                            Keymaster

That’s a good catch! I don’t think it matters, having watched Jane so much while weaving, she usually goes over when she throws and under when she catches. I think this part was just one of those times that she did it differently, which is actually the way I do it, under to throw, over to catch.

fudsy1
                                            Participant

that is also the way I do it on my table loom but just wanted to confirm. I really do love how that outside the basic laws of weaving the “rules” are pretty flexible

Emma Hamilton
                                              Participant

Regarding tie-up counterbalance vs jack looms.  I think it’s worth mentioning countermarche looms.  I bought a countermarche floor loom after learning at a workshop on an Ashford table-loom.  It confused me for the longest time because people were always talking about which ones to tie-up, and now I know that on a countermarche loom you have to tie every treadle to every shaft you’re using, either telling it to go up or down.  It took me quite a lot of asking and internet surfing before I realised that.  Probably old news for most people but I think it is worth mentioning next time you do a video with tie-ups mentioned.

Ginette
                                                  Keymaster

Hi Emma,

That’s a great point. For anyone needing a review on how to tie-up a counter-march loom, in Season 1, Episode 8.4, Jane gives the best explanation to this type of loom. She shows it on a Louet Spring loom and explains it on the blackboard (8:25 mark) how this system works.

Sally Papin
                                                  Participant

I am working on the two stripe straight draw sample and I have a question about the color and weave sequence

3D/1L  (which I understand) but what is point?   It makes me think of threading 1234321, but I am threaded 12341234.    I am weaving on a table loom.

Thank for any clarification.   Its probably so simple I just missed it.

Sally

Ginette
                                                      Keymaster

Hi Sally,

You’ve got it on definition of a point! When you’re weaving, weave a point on your straight draw threading. So you’ll be weaving toggles  1/2, 2/3, 3/4, 4/1, 3/4, 2/3, 1/2.  You’ll be fascinated with how the design develops on your warp. Jane wants us to explore these on our straight draw twill warps. Hope this makes sense 🙂

Sally Papin
                                                      Participant

Thank you for clarifying.  I thought that might be what it ment, I have woven it without knowing what its called.  Twills are so “never ending” and amazing.   Thanks

laurarose
                                                        Participant

So, 2 questions I guess:

1) Is this 10 yard warp for the “sample” (LOL my samples are more like 10″) for just this first episode?! Or is supposed to hang out and be used for future twill Season episodes?

I love twill and for the first time actually considering weaving along (got a second loom for the Dark Days Holidays) but there’s no way I can do 10 yards before next month (as I have a primary project also going).  Which leads to

2) Should I really put on 10 yards or should I just do what for me could concievably be finished in a month (like maybe 3-4yds–seems like still PLENTY plenty long ) so I can re-warp for lesson 2?

(I realize I’m already late to the game, and lesson 2 is probably about to drop, but I can at least be withing a month or so of everyone else if I start now)

PS Thanks for combining the comments into the forum.  It was weird having info in 2 places.

• This reply was modified 5 days, 12 hours ago by laurarose. Reason: realized al lthe other posts are already a month old! so I'm starting behgind!
                                                            Ginette
                                                            Keymaster

Hi Laura,

If you prefer, you can certainly make a shorter warp for this lesson. If you want to weave a scarf after weaving some samples, you could go 4 to 5 yards, that’ll give you plenty.

The episode 3 in March will have a different warp as it’s a gamp!

We actually just changed the new format for this episode this morning, if you go to one of the lessons/videos on this episode, you’ll see a brand new forum thread right under the videos so you can now start writing there and it will also appear on the forum! Example thread on the forum is ‘Thoughts on 4.1.1 – Introduction to Twill and Simple Two Stripe Sample’. We’ll have some more details about it in the newsletter going out this week.

Viewing 19 reply threads
                                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.