EPI for 2/16 baby alpaca

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Betty.allen
      Participant

My son brought me some cones of baby alpaca when he went to Peru last month.  I just received the beautiful soft yarn.  It is 2/16.  I find alpaca on the Sett chart but it doesn’t list a weight.  Would it be considered the same as 2/16 cotton.  I doubt it could be used for the warp as it breaks fairly easily.  Is this correct?  It is a very fine yarn.  If used for the weft only what would you suggest for the warp?  Thanks for any help.

Ginette
        Keymaster

Hi Betty, the Alpaca on Jane’s Master Sett Chart is for the Natural Alpaca and thicker than 2/16 for your alpaca.

Jane does have some baby alpaca that is lace weight, 880 yards/100g cone if that helps to determine if it will work for you.  I haven’t worked with it yet.  here’s the link.  https://janestaffordtextiles.com/product-category/yarns/alpaca-yarn/natural-baby-alpaca/

Ginette

Sandra
          Keymaster

I’m popping in with an answer as well, just to confuse you 😉  I brought some alpaca home from a trip to Peru and sett it at 18 epi.  However,  your yarn and my yarn is quite likely totally different.  If you don’t want to use it as warp, then you could use a nice merino or Zepher for your warp or whatever really appeals to you.  You probably should do the sett wrap that Jane demonstrates last year’s Episode 4.2 about sett for wool.  Have fun and I’m looking forward to seeing what you weave with your treasure.

Viewing 2 reply threads
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.