Double width weaving selvage issue

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 1 – Foundation Double width weaving selvage issue

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Jill
      Participant

I am trying to do a double wide blanket on my 20″ Schacht table top loom.  I had it on a rigid heddle loom and it was just too challenging so I moved it painstakingly to the 4 shaft and after getting all threading issues taken care of and watching the doubleweave video, I proceeded to weave.  I’m having a hard time with the selvage on the side where it is joined…it wants to smile all the time?  I have been using a comb to push the weft together more because it is too easy to beat too hard.  I am trying to not have a weft faced weave but that seems like the only way to get the selvage to be straight.  I will take a picture in a few minutes and add it to this.

Jill
        Participant

IMG_0171

Jill
          Participant

oops…put the same picture in twice…sorry!

.IMG_0171

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by Jill. Reason: duplicate submission when trying to add second picture
            Jane
            Keymaster

Hi Jill,
              You have posted a picture of the side where both selvedges are independent. Can you post a picture of the join side. One of the easiest ways to keep the join side nice is to leave one empty dent before your last dent on the join side. Hope that makes sense. It gives a little more space for the join to move into. Keep your angle high in the shed and beat on an open shed. Let us know how that goes.
              SOrry you had to wait so long, we have just returned from a show and are trying to get caught up 🙂
              Cheers,
              Jane

Jill
              Participant

Thank you Jane…I knew you were busy…no worries.  I was having difficulty with my technology not allowing me to upload the correct picture…It was NOT working with me.  I was using sport weight Brown Sheep which was the same as warp – not too hairy, but the edges flared both sides and the only way I could stop it was to use a fine tooth comb.  I want to try again so thank you for your suggestion.   Since my weft was becoming too tight (too weft faced)  with the sport weight I switched (it was a learning piece) to a tube to make a pillow covering.  I used a Rayon Chenille which seemed to love being the weft…I got a great fabric.  I have a few skips on the lower side but it worked much better.  I am anxious to finish it so I can find out if it will be suitable.  I am in major house reorg because I have company coming so my weaving will have to take a back seat for a week.  (Although my loom area is done!).

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.