double treadling

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Nancy
      Participant

I am doing a pattern on my David that requires that I press two treadles at the same time. (Hearts and Bones Scarf from Handwoven magazine 2013)  I cannot get the skeleton section of the pattern to work out, and someone on Ravelry said a David doesn’t like double treadling, and I should try to redo the draft so I only press one treadle at a time.

The David is new to me – I have always had Leclerc counterbalance looms, so I thought the David would work in much the same way.  I just figured I had to tie up opposite to the draft that was written for a jack loom.

Can two treadles be used successfully on the David and does anyone have any words of wisdom so I can complete this scarf?

Maureen Janda
        Participant

I’m no expert, but while you’re waiting for them….
          I have a David and recently did a color twill sampler gamp which used all my treadles and used some double treadling, that’s if I understand what you mean.

I was working through Anne Dixon’s The Handweaver’s Pattern Directory for four-shaft looms, so I only used shafts 1 through 4. I have some issues which prevent me from getting on the floor to tie up treadles and I didn’t want to bother my husband to retie them all the time, so I had him do the following:

Treadle: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
          tied to
          Shaft(s) 1 2 3 4 1 2 1 2 3 4
          3 4 2 3 4 1

In other words, the first 4 treadles lowered one of each of the shafts, the center two were for plain weave, and the last four were standard 2/2 twill tie up, but I could also do 1/3 or 3/1 by depressing treadles 1 through 3, or 1 and 8, or 9 and 2, etc. without a problem. Is this what you mean? My only issue was if my foot would stretch over three treadles at once, but luckily I have large feet 😉

Maureen Janda
          Participant

Hmm. my previous post got reformatted somehow after I submitted it, so that my carefully spaced treadle set-up got messed up. I tried to illustrate that treadles 1-4 are tied to shafts 1-4, treadles 5 and 6 are for plain weave (1+3, 2+4) and 7-10 are for 2/2 twill(1+2; 2+3; 3+4; 4+1).

Regina Noble
            Participant

I know this is a long shot but I was wondering if Nancy ever got this issue figured out? I am now doing the same scarf and having the same problem. I think I may need to re-write the treadling for the skeletons.

Viewing 3 reply threads
          • The forum ‘Season 1 – Foundation’ is closed to new topics and replies.