David or Spring for Occasional Rugs

Forums Weaving Discussion David or Spring for Occasional Rugs

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Shelly Goering
      Participant

Hello.  I’ve read everything I can find on this topic both here and on ravelry and can’t seem to find the answer to my precise question.  I’ve only been weaving for a few months and have a 36″ Schacht Standard (bought used).  I’m planning to buy either a David or a Spring 8 shaft.  I have knee and hip arthritis and the ergonomics of the Schacht aren’t good for me — too hard to lift multiple harnesses and the movement to release the brake makes my hip scream.  I’ve done a couple of rag rugs and would like to continue to do the occasional rag rug but that wouldn’t be the focus of my weaving.  I know from other posts that both the David and the Spring could handle the occasional rug, but does the Spring handle the occasional rug better?  If not, then I think the simplicity of the tie-up on the David is appealing, and I’d get the larger size and sell my Schacht.  If the Spring is better suited, I’ll get the smaller size and figure out how to tilt it back or lift it up for easier tie-up.  Thanks for any advice.  I appreciate it greatly.

Sandra
        Keymaster

Hi Shelly, I haven’t woven rugs so I will defer to what others say about the David and Spring in that area.  However, I know the grief of bad knees having had a double knee replacement 6 years ago.  I have been forever grateful to the advice that Jane gave me years before my knee surgery and that was to sell my Leclerc Colonial and buy a David 90.  The tie-ups are so much easier on my body and I discovered a way that I can gently tip my loom, because it is light, and can rest the back beam on a chair.  This way I don’t have to get under the loom to do my tie-ups.  The brake release is done by hand, so it’s very easy to move the cloth forward.  There are a few articles on the JST Knowledge Base that might be worth you reading – comparing the David and the Spring looms.  Hope this helps.

Shelly Goering
          Participant

Thank you Sandra.  I appreciate the input and the link.  I think the right answer is to buy a David 90, and since the David is so much less expensive than the Spring, perhaps also add a Jane 70 to the mix at some point for days when my joints are particularly unhappy.   Until I developed arthritis I didn’t really have an appreciation for the importance of ergonomics but now it’s everything and it’s gratifying that there are looms out there that are gentle on the body.

Sandra
              Keymaster

I don’t think you will regret that decision, Shelly!  I have a Woolhouse table loom that I have had for years and have warps on both looms at the moment.  The David 90 will give you almost the same width that you have on your Schacht and the Jane 70 would be a perfect companion loom.  Keep us posted.

Shelly Goering
              Participant

Hi Sandra.  I hope you’ll indulge me with one more question.  On the David 90, is it much of a reach to release the friction brake and advance the warp?  That kind of movement isn’t an issue for me from an arthritis perspective, but on the David 70 the brake is right there.  Any thoughts?  Thanks so much!

Sandra
                  Keymaster

Hi Shelly, the brake handle on the David 90 is in the same place as it is on the David 70.  Your reach is just a wee bit longer because of the extra width that the David 90 gives you (which you won’t regret!). Jane has a lot of information on the David (and all the looms she carries) under the Shop button on the JST website.  All the dimensions are listed if you scroll down to the bottom of the David listing.

Shelly Goering
                  Participant

Sandra, thanks once again for your thoughts.  I’ve gone wild and ordered both the David 90 AND the Jane 70 with the floor stand, as well as the bench that should work with both.  Now to go back and watch Jane’s BTF warping videos while I anxiously await their arrival!

Sandra
                    Keymaster

Way to go!  Exciting times ahead, keep us posted on your continuing weaving journey, for many, many years.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.