Season 2, Episode 4 – Colour and Weave Gamp

Forums Weaving Discussion Online Guild Discussion Season 2 – Colour & Design Season 2, Episode 4 – Colour and Weave Gamp

Viewing 72 reply threads
  • Author
      Sandra
      Keymaster

We’ll move the discussion on the gamp into this thread to keep it all together!

Ellen Black
        Participant

I just took my time getting things ready, and today got a start weaving. Very happy.  I just love this class! gamp

Ginette
            Keymaster

It’s looking fabulous Ellen!

Jacqueline
            Participant

Loved weaving this sample gamp.  There are a couple of errors, but heh ho it’s a sample🤪

8BE8521B-A550-4DB7-BEAB-5C397E1D95B6

Jacqueline
              Participant

I have placed small squares of masking tape with the weaving/warping sequence on the appropriate sections.🇬🇧

14031A00-F8FF-46BC-AAF7-6254C4D9042B

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by Jacqueline.
                  Ellen Black
                  Participant

Your sampler turned out great !

Sandra
                  Keymaster

Love that you added an extra section to visually remind yourself of the Log Cabin effect in D/L, Jacqueline.

Maureen Janda
                    Participant

I’m so confused about the warping math. I’ve only used the warping board 3 or 4 times with very simple one color warps, and I always have to remind myself that a complete circuit of the board actually produces 2 ends, from starting peg, 6 yards up and around the cross, and 6 yards back down to the starting peg. But, when faced with instructions for 44 holding 4 threads in the hand, I divided 44/4=11 and did 11 circuits getting, I realized too late, 88 ends, which is where it sits, waiting for me to cut out and toss a bunch of yarn.
                      As I look ahead at the rest of the warp instructions, I see next 45 ends, by holding 3 threads in hand. Heck (as Jane might say), anyone can see that 45 divided by 3 is 15, so 15 circuits holding 3 threads. Easy-peas—whoops! Forgot again that each circuit equals 2 ends, but 15/2=7.5. Not sure what to do with the .5 half circuit. Do I just tie that group off up at the cross, then tie on the next group back down at the usual start peg?
                      Sorry for the rank beginner question.
                      -Maureen

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by Maureen Janda.
                        Ginette
                        Keymaster

Hi Maureen,

Yes, you would cut the three threads at the cross end and tie the next (apricot), you’ll end up again after your 4 apricot at the top so cut and tie the next sequence at cross end.   As what to do with the ones that you put on extra, if your loom is wide enough you could leave them in and have one nice extra wide section for this sequence.  I’ve done this a few too many times in the past and what I’ve done is round up extra hands in the house, each grab a cone and start winding the cones simultaneously while taking them off the warping board.  It’s a bit of a chore, but we’ve had some good laughs doing it.  Usually the laughs are at my expense 😉

Patricia
                        Participant

I had the same query as Maureen. Why would the draft use 45 ends and not 48 which saves having to cut at the cross. What difference would it make apart from being wider?

Would love an answer Ginette.

Jane
                          Keymaster

Hi Kids,

The sequences in the Colour and Design Gamp are  simply ‘sequences’ and not all sequences in weaving have an even number nor do you have to repeat them a certain number of times to make them an even number.  It doesn’t matter if they start at the top or the bottom because each length is its own individual length.   The bottom is one end of the warp and the top is the other. When I am warping with 3 ends in my hand I count by 3’s no matter where I start.  If I am starting and the bottom it is 3 up, then 6 at the bottom, 9 up top, 12 at the bottom, 15 up top (and if I only want 5 repeats of that sequence then I end it there and move on to the next sequence.    You could also go back to the warping videos in Season 1 Episode 1 and watch how I do this.

Let me know if this makes sense,

Jane

Martha
                            Participant

I have wound my warp for all sections up to the last one.  So far, this method of warping with multiple threads has helped me “stretch” quite a bit!  HAH!  I’ve reviewed the video in season 1 episode 1.  I’m stuck on proceeding with the last section and 5 ends.  How did others get this done please?  What advice about this many threads Jane?

Thanks!

Jane
                                Keymaster

Hi Martha,

I took these 2 pictures of the yarn in my hands for the last section.  IMG_1403IMG_1412

Jane
                                    Keymaster

I am laughing so hard my sides hurt…..are they big enough pictures for you?  I was feeling so proud of myself posting my first pictures.  Too funny.

Sharon
                                        Participant

LOL Jane.  It is good to have BIG pictures so we don’t have to squint but should you wish to make smaller pics in the future, if you click on the picture you can drag the corners smaller.  ;D

Martha
                                          Participant

Hah!  Thanks so much!  Oh yes – the photos are large enough for my old eyes to see well!  Hahah!

Maureen Janda
                                      Participant

Thanks, Jane, for your reply. I’m done! Maybe cutting off and tossing a big pile of yarn has drilled into me that it’s 2 ends to a total circuit. I toyed with the idea of trying to save that bit and using it for the later 44 end group. All I’d need to do is remove one white thread and replace it with a dark one – or maybe it was the other way around. But I came to my senses and gave myself an early St. Patrick’s Day gift and tossed the whole lot.
                                        Things I’ve learned: it may not be fun, but it saves on the shoulders, so it’s worth getting comfortable with it; find some nice smooth shoeboxes without external flaps and folds that catch every thread; likewise replace the knitting needles with dowels cut to fit the boxes that hopefully won’t catch every thread; if you don’t replace the knitting needles, TURN THE POINTS AWAY FROM YOU; and remember that Jane said not to go too fast or you’ll be sorry, because I did, and I was.
                                        Final question: does holding the threads between the fingers keep the threads from tangling, or is it a tensioning method?

Michelle
                                        Participant

Hello to all,

I had a problem beaming on this warp and I’m wondering if anyone else had the same issue? My problem is that I ended up with quite a few threads twisting on each other. Any ideas why this might have happened? Not all sections of the gamp had twisted ends I used a paddle for some of the sections and these were ok. Any ideas? I ended up cutting off the gamp and my first tea towel to untwist some threads. I also added a repeat of the first section at the end of the gamp to make the towels wider.

Thank you095031A8-9235-46AB-926E-FB500204B181

Jacqueline
                                          Participant

Hi, How can I remover my posts? If I cannot, would upu please remove the March ten post, not relevant…thank you!

Jacqueline
                                            Participant

First sampler done, small navyblue piece of twill inbetween, next one with alternating turqoise cotolin and orange cotton.

Sample2s

Sandra
                                              Keymaster

Beautiful Jacqueline, and it looks like you are having fun!

Your post of March 10th might be helpful to some – it was “caught” in the move of posts when I moved posts to one thread on the Colour and Weave Gamp.  If you still want me to delete it – I will, but I don’t see a problem.  You were showing us how you divided up a huge cone of blue yarn to prepare for your sample.

Jacqueline
                                                  Participant

Hi Sandra, Thanks, Yes this is fun, I have learned a lot allready, especially how to do things more easy. Ok if you leave the post where it is!

Maureen Janda
                                                  Participant

The adventure continues. I’m threading heddles and I’ve gotten to the DDDD/LLLL section, and I discovered I warped it backwards as LLLL/DDDD. I’m afraid I heard Jane’s example in the video where she mentions as an example starting with LL, so I did that, ignoring that the pattern started with DD and that she started with DD when showing the lease sticks.

Is this a big problem? Can I just weave LLLL/DDDD and it’ll turn out OK?

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by Maureen Janda.
                                                      Sandra
                                                      Keymaster

Not to worry, Maureen!  You’ll be fine – you’ll still see the same pattern repeat in your sample.

Maureen Janda
                                                          Participant

Great! Thanks for such a prompt answer.

Clare
                                                        Participant

I’ve got a question about sett. I would like to use some of my warp to make a wrap/shawl along the lines of the gamp shown in the first season. I remember Jane saying that is was woven in 8/4 cotton at a sett of 12. She described it as being like “buttah” the drape was so exceptional. Is it possible to get the same drape with 8/2 cotton? I did a version of 8/2 sett at 12 on the asymmetry sample and with carefully placing the picks to get a balanced cloth the selvedge on one side came out pretty wonky. For all of its sheerness it wasn’t really wearable to my mind. The best beat at that sett was 14-15. Would I add 12 and 15 and divide by two to get a balanced cloth that would work? Many thanks in advance!

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by Clare.
                                                          Ginette
                                                          Keymaster

Hi Clare,

yes, you’re process is correct.  It’ll give you 13.5 but might as well sett it at 14.  Put a bit more length on your warp when you make it so you can sample a bit first.  If the sample doesn’t turn out for you, then you can always resley to a different sett and still have enough to make your shawl.

Clare
                                                              Participant

Thanks Ginette, for that quick response! Do you think that using, say, 8/2 tencel in the weft might improve the overall wearability as a shawl? Even at the proper sett I’m not convinced that cotton on cotton is going to have the proper finish. What do you think?

Ginette
                                                                  Keymaster

I’ve woven at 16 epi with 2/8 cotton as warp & weft and I liked that quite a bit, makes it drapy and still a good piece of cloth for a shawl.  As for tencel, I’ve only woven once (as weft) with it along with the 2/8 cotton (as warp) and they seemed to behave the same.  Maybe someone else has more experience with it.  I’ve also done it with bambu 7 which I really liked that effect.  I would definitely do some sampling.

Clare
                                                                      Participant

Thank you so much- I shall try a few things and let you know the outcome!

Michelle
                                                                  Participant

Sample two is done! Another enjoyable weaving experience. I needed to get some tea towels done so I didn’t change the sett on this one and made 6 towels. The only problem I had was I had several twisted threads not sure why. If anyone has any ideas I’d love to hear them.C33B28D0-9681-4529-BB11-6017D568677C198702E2-5B74-47E9-B912-D29DE8B401F1316B5B14-3C97-479A-8AB4-690149011CB3

Ellen Black
                                                                      Participant

Those are wonderful !

Ellen Black
                                                                        Participant

I forgot to ask, what textured yarn did you use?

Sandra
                                                                        Keymaster

Looking great, Michelle!

• #42040
                                                                          Ellen Black
                                                                          Participant

This is only my second time using a floor loom ! I love this opportunity to be part of this guild and the format works wonderful for me.

I really enjoyed weaving this gamp.  I think would be fun to do again.  I wish I had used floating selvedges. I know I could have added them and will keep that in mind for the next time.

46BA6537-01D7-4718-AD1D-03C60F182AD7

• #42054
                                                                            Gabriele
                                                                            Participant

IMG_20180318_161336_resized_20180321_024656897IMG_20180318_161426_resized_20180321_024656319

My gamp will get a little bigger (-: cause I use handspun yarn I think it will be a fine blanket

I love to discover all the “new” patterns which come out

• #42055
                                                                                Ellen Black
                                                                                Participant

What a beautiful way to use your handspun.  I want to weave with my handspun as well. Going to review using a dummy warp.

0
                                                                              • #42074
                                                                                Karen
                                                                                Participant

So much fun! My gamp is the the beginning of my own Color-and-Weave library. I am still working on this warp but I just had to cut and finish this bits to see how my weft variations are behaving. So far I love them all! I introduced 8/2 tencel to the weft,  a combo of 2/20 white cotton  and chocolate 5/2 perle cotton and a section with 2/14 Alpaca/Silk.

Color & Weave Gamp finished

0
                                                                                • #42075
                                                                                  Karen
                                                                                  Participant

And here is a snapshot of my weft and treadling variations (so far 😉

Sample Wefts and Treadlings2

• This reply was modified 2 years, 4 months ago by Karen.
                                                                                    0
                                                                                  • #42076
                                                                                    Karen
                                                                                    Participant

Thank you to the person who posted the following in regards to the DDDD/LLLL warping: “wind two ends DD, followed by warping with 4 ends in your hand of DDLL, ending with 2 ends LL”

0
                                                                                    • #42380
                                                                                      tbrickerbrac
                                                                                      Participant

I’m planning on warping this gamp with 8/2 cotton but would like to try using 8/2 wool for the weft for a section of the 8 yards I’ll be putting on. I read the following on the helpline…”You can use cotton and wool together with no problems if you alternate them end on end or pick and pick.  You can also make one your warp and one your weft.  When you combine them this way they move together as they full.  Coverlets were often done this way.  Cotton was used for the warp and tabby weft and wool was the pattern weft.  The alternating business keeps eveything moving together.”

My question is, Would I still use a sett of 18 or do I need to open up the sett more so that the wool will bloom? And if so, what sett should I try?

Thanks

0
                                                                                        • #42382
                                                                                          Sandra
                                                                                          Keymaster

You aren’t going to like this, tbrickerbrac but I’m going to throw the word “sample” at you 😉  Your sett would depend on the actual wool yarn you are using and how it’s spun.  Have you done a ruler wrap with the yarns you plan to use?  That, however, won’t totally give you your answer because you want the weft to really open up in fulling.

Some 8/2 wool is very tightly spun and is used for the hard wear of upholstery or even used in tapestry to hold it’s shape in the design.  If you did a sample at the 18 epi of the gamp making sure that your pics are squared, you could full it the way Jane’s suggests in the item on the Helpline to see if that’s what you want.  If not, open it up to see if it needs more room to full the way you want it to.  You aren’t going to really know unless actually try.  I love the idea and look forward to you sharing your experiments with this idea.

Anyone else tried cotton and wool???

0
                                                                                          • #42400
                                                                                            tbrickerbrac
                                                                                            Participant

I’ve got M. Brassard’s 2/8 Blue Mountain 100% wool for the weft. Since it already looks much “fatter” than the 2/8 cotton Im using for the warp I think I will need to start with a sett of 12.

0
                                                                                          • #42383
                                                                                            Betty.allen
                                                                                            Participant

I just finished a throw with 8/4 cotton rug warp and Shetland wool weft. I was’t sure it would work so I did weave a test area befor I decided.  I wet finished and twisted fring this morning.  It has amazing drape.  It is what I call Gamp Gone Wrong.  I got so very confused with winding multiple strands on the warping board.  So long story short it was all wrong. However, I could t waste the 8 yard warp and decided to experiment with different weaving.  I’ll try to send a pic.  I. Very happy to know the wool and cotton play well together.

0
                                                                                            • #42385
                                                                                              Betty.allen
                                                                                              Participant

Here are a couple of pics.  The red one is with wool weft.  The wine color is 8/4 Rug warp and same colors as warp.  I haven’t wet finished the cotton.  I still have 2 plus yards on loom to weave.  And I’m embarrassed 😩 to say that I have that much left and ready to warp in lighter colors.  As I said earlier I was very confused .  But it was certainly a learning process.

57235C4D-64C6-49E6-BB29-B3EEF24A35232430DFD2-139A-46B3-A2BB-016E038A6A98

0
                                                                                              • #42386
                                                                                                Betty.allen
                                                                                                Participant

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Which bring up another question. The fringe looks hideous with the red color in the wool used for weft. Could I…..take a long strand of red wool and weave in long strands where the fringe is, to show the red color incorporated in the fringe.  Does that make sense.62CCEFCF-8456-454B-90C4-E2DB815C0266</p>

0
                                                                                                • #42401
                                                                                                  Sandra
                                                                                                  Keymaster

I understand what you are thinking of doing for your “barber pole” section of your fringe but I wonder how stable it would be.  That often happens with fringes, depending on your warp threading, I wouldn’t worry about it.  No one is going to look at it and say what a horrible blanket – will you just look at that “hideous” fringe section.  That privilege is left to us – the weaver!  Soon, you will find that you will see the whole blanket and not even see the wee part that is irritating you now.  It’s beautiful – kudos to you!

0
                                                                                                  • #42402
                                                                                                    Sandra
                                                                                                    Keymaster

tbrickerbrac – I look forward to seeing and reading about your sampling as you progress with your blanket.

0
                                                                                                    • #42647
                                                                                                      the.stewarts
                                                                                                      Participant

Hi there,

i have just finished the colour and weave gamp and very excited to discover all those patterns ! I mostly weave using 2/30 silk and so I did the gamp with a 30 epi sett. Having been inspired by Jane’s advice on loosening up I’m going to resley the warp and weave at 24 epi. That’s what my pick rate was on the 30 epi setting. Should make a big difference to the drape and be balanced hopefully 🤞Apologies for rather poor photo 😩

A4B9CEDE-9D37-4AD2-95F7-DFC3D2476D74

0
                                                                                                      • #42804
                                                                                                        Anita
                                                                                                        Participant

Colour and weave Tea TowelsColour and Weave GampI increased the width of the warp by adding two additional D/L sequences and wound a 7 1/2 yard warp. I wove a tea-towel sized gamp that I cut off to use as a guide for the patterns I wanted to use for the remaining warp. I then wove five more tea towels, each different from the other. I stayed with the same colours after trialing some others that I didn’t think looked as good as the originals. Perhaps if I had had them in the warp they would have looked better. I did find the selvages a bit of a challenge.

0
                                                                                                        • #42846
                                                                                                          Deborah Cannatella
                                                                                                          Participant

Oh my gosh, these are all so wonderful! I wound up having hand surgery several weeks ago and am now woefully behind.  I’m finally warping up the loom for the color and weave gamp.  I hope I’m able to catch up! meanwhile, I’ve been watching and reading.

0
                                                                                                            • #42959
                                                                                                              moira.white
                                                                                                              Participant

These are beautiful! I particularly like the blanket.

0
                                                                                                              • #42960
                                                                                                                moira.white
                                                                                                                Participant

And here are the tea towels I made. I used a smaller warp this time and ended up with 7. I’m still deciding which of the small patterns I like the best. I particularly liked the striped tea towels.JST towels 2.4c

0
                                                                                                              • #42878
                                                                                                                Jean
                                                                                                                Participant

I used this gamp mostly as an exploration of different wefts but had some fun with treadling, too.

After weaving the original draft, I did a stripe sample (my favourite, I think) and then re-did the gamp and treadled twill. My big lesson here was that no matter how obvious I might think the break between the two samples is always put in a shot of contrasting weft – the first twill sample ended up as the hem on my striped one. Oops.

twill treadle

It was fun to see the subtle differences in pattern with the two treadlings, but what was most interesting for me was the difference in drape. Same sett, same threading, same weft, totally different fabric.

colour weave gamp

I tried a bunch of different wefts from my stash but nothing really grabbed my imagination so I re-sleyed this warp to 12 epi and started to play again. I had some grey mercerized knitting cotton from the thrift store that turned out to be exactly the same size as 4/8 cotton. It made a very nice fabric that I think would be suitable for something like a baby blanket. Next sample was with a vintage bobbin of Quebecois and a bit of Harrisville for a very serviceable lap blanket. Without Jane’s encouragement to be brave, I never would have thought to try a wool weft on a cotton warp but it totally worked. The cotton fringe looked a little sad so I augmented it with a strand of wool and it looked much better.

Finally, I cut off all but the three centre stripes and wove with 2/8 cotton weft for a lightweight scarf. I loved this fabric, and wished that I could have made the scarf longer but alas, that was the end of the warp.

I’m ready for some springtime colours, and am really (really) hoping there won’t be snow under the clothesline for the next sample!

1
                                                                                                                • #42918
                                                                                                                  Sandra
                                                                                                                  Keymaster

Absolutely wonderful set of samples, Jean!  I’ve still got some warp left on my Colour and Weave and looking forward to a day of weaving tomorrow before we get tempted with the colours of Parrot!  Sorry you still have snow or, should I say – snow again.

0
                                                                                                                  • #42930
                                                                                                                    Jean
                                                                                                                    Participant

Thanks, Sandra. I promised myself that I would treat the Guild episodes as homework assignments and I am having so much fun using “homework” to avoid “housework”!

As I consider all of the possibilities from a single warp I am having flashes of the von Trapp family in the Sound of Music where all of the children were wearing outfits made from curtains. Rather than curtains, everything I make comes from one very long warp and I end up making a top that matches the blanket and rug and bath towel and tea towel and placemats and scarf and curtains….☺

0
                                                                                                                      • #42943
                                                                                                                        Ginette
                                                                                                                        Keymaster

Would love to see your top Jean with all the matching wares!

0
                                                                                                                      • #42991
                                                                                                                        Jean
                                                                                                                        Participant

Thanks, Moira. I like the stripes, too.

I would like to try this gamp in an analogous colourway. I’m not so keen on the high contrast patterns needed to illustrate the colour and weave effects, but two shades of green or a blue and a green or maybe some browns or.. or.. or… would give a real interest and depth of colour to a fabric. But now we are on to the next sample and once again my head is almost exploding after watching what Jane does with “Parrot”! Too many ideas, not enough time!

0
                                                                                                                        • #43137
                                                                                                                          Deborah Cannatella
                                                                                                                          Participant

My hand is nearly completely healed from surgery and I was finally able to finish my project.  I really enjoyed this gamp! I wove two towels after the gamp, one using a bright orange zinger and the other adding a pale blue in the weft. I laid this on my sofa, which is why it looks a bit bumpy/wavy. This is straight off the loom.Color-Weave1Color-Weave-3Color-Weave-2

0
                                                                                                                          • #43187
                                                                                                                            mbartlo
                                                                                                                            Participant

Hand spun blankie in 3 panels —color weave, assymetry and division of space. I think I’ll full it a bit more  BEDEBCEF-EF1D-463C-972F-07C5978FBCD5

1
                                                                                                                              • #43193
                                                                                                                                Ellen Black
                                                                                                                                Participant

That is Wonderful !  how did you seam them together, and what did your blanket with?

0
                                                                                                                                  • #43201
                                                                                                                                    mbartlo
                                                                                                                                    Participant

Hi Ellen,

Seams were a challenge because the wool was hand spun singles and they fulled differently.  I used a needle threaded with the dark colored wool and caught a loop from each selvedge.  Does that make sense? I butted them together and then just went alternating rows from one to the other.  I wasn’t as tedious as it sounds.  Turned out pretty well and with some additional fulling and a bit of brushing it will be fine.  Very soft.

Mary

0
                                                                                                                                      • #43202
                                                                                                                                        Ellen Black
                                                                                                                                        Participant

the joining sounds great !  I’m a hand spinner as well, and hope to use the yarns in weaving blankets. Would like to weave 3 blankets one each for my kids.   Got a wonderful book recommended by L. Waddington.  The author is Jean Wilson. “Joinings, Edges, and Trims”   So many options.

0
                                                                                                                                          • #43216
                                                                                                                                            Sandra
                                                                                                                                            Keymaster

Impressive and beautiful, Mary!

0
                                                                                                                                            • #43228
                                                                                                                                              mbartlo
                                                                                                                                              Participant

What a lovely idea Ellen. 3 kids, 3 blankets. Love it.  Thanks for the Jean Wilson reference.  I could use some more advice.

0
                                                                                                                                      • #43460
                                                                                                                                        Geraldine
                                                                                                                                        Participant

After a few miss steps I finally got my warp on and have started weaving. However when I measured the width in the reed it was only 18.5 in ches instead of 19.25. This is before weaving so no draw in yet. I have checked number of threads and they are correct. It took a couple of attempts to get the 1,2,1 threading accurate and I think I’m pretty close. It is a metric reed so that could be it. Just curious as Jane uses a louet spring with I’m assuming metric reeds.  Very excited to see the patterns as they unfold. Been hampered with knee injury so very frustrated and trying to catch up

0
                                                                                                                                          • #43462
                                                                                                                                            Ginette
                                                                                                                                            Keymaster

Hi Geraldine,

I think it’ll be fine but just wondering, what is the reed size you are using?

Ginette

0
                                                                                                                                          • #43555
                                                                                                                                            Korina
                                                                                                                                            Participant

20180501_15454520180502_15013320180502_180258

0
                                                                                                                                              • #43564
                                                                                                                                                Ellen Black
                                                                                                                                                Participant

That looks wonderful!  I like that detail you did.

0
                                                                                                                                                  • #43573
                                                                                                                                                    Korina
                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Thanks!   I actually had a lot more fun on this warp than I thought I would.  I need to order the next 2 kits but am going to order some extra colors as it seems like that is what is the most fun for me.

This was my first warp on my new to me Ideal which I am finding to be possibly my favorite loom, although there are things I love on ,y Standard as well.

0
                                                                                                                                                • #43578
                                                                                                                                                  Clare
                                                                                                                                                  Participant

I wove a conventional sample at a sett of 18 and then opened it up to 15. The shawl has 5/2 bamboo as weft and the towel used leftover bobbins of 8/2. Love the patterning!

IMG_5465

IMG_5425

0
                                                                                                                                                    • #43579
                                                                                                                                                      Ellen Black
                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Bet the drape with the cotton and bamboo is wonderful

0
                                                                                                                                                    • #43644
                                                                                                                                                      Carrie
                                                                                                                                                      Participant

1E2937F7-1A11-481D-9310-8C0A41FD81BFC56D746D-EA40-49D7-B190-3905A0AC7656CF6E1671-9C1F-4025-B661-E7899092CD46I finally finished with this warp.  I wove my original sample by weaving the warp sequence twice.  This will be a table runner.  Next I rethreaded to 15 epi and wove dish towels with boucle.  I love the boucle towels.  So far I just like to look at them.  Not sure when I will let anyone use them…..

1
                                                                                                                                                      • #43943
                                                                                                                                                        Jennifer Tennant
                                                                                                                                                        Participant

Here’s a scarf I wove using the color and weave Gamp using black and grey Zephyr for both warp and weft. I used 3 blocks that I liked from the gamp and used both grey and black to weave blocks at one end of the scarf and then wove the rest with just the blackIMG_2465

2
                                                                                                                                                          • #43945
                                                                                                                                                            Ellen Black
                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Wonderful scarf !   What did you sett the Zepher at?

0
                                                                                                                                                          • #43954
                                                                                                                                                            Jennifer Tennant
                                                                                                                                                            Participant

I set the Zephyr for the scarf at 20 epi

0
                                                                                                                                                              • #43957
                                                                                                                                                                Ellen Black
                                                                                                                                                                Participant

Thank you, bet it’s nice and drapey.

0
                                                                                                                                                              • #44125
                                                                                                                                                                Betty.allen
                                                                                                                                                                Participant

Another set of towels from leftover warp.  This is the last of my warp.  I’ll not bore you with details as to why I had this warp.  Mainly because I can’t remember what exactly I did wrong in the first place but I did make use of the leftover.  I also wove a summer throw not pictured.  As you can see there is a pile of color catchers (25 to be exact)  I washed the towels 3 times and did get lots of red out but am disappointed in the bleeding.  I did not use Jane’s yarn but from another company, which may be my last. It was still fun weaving. It’s a horrible photo but some were woven with a boucle type yarn, which I loved.  Betty1404FBEC-9DE0-4491-BB0D-E0EEF5DE6EF2

0
                                                                                                                                                                • #44126
                                                                                                                                                                  Sandra
                                                                                                                                                                  Keymaster

How disappointing to have all that bleeding, Betty!  Hopefully, it will eventually stop and you won’t have wash these items carefully 😔  The warp does look like it was fun to weave – do you have a photo of your summer throw?

0
                                                                                                                                                                  • #44237
                                                                                                                                                                    MaryAnn Kull
                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Here are my finished products. I love the colors — blue and yellow are my favorites — but I especially love all the patterns.

A08AB694-D7C4-48FF-B0B9-9F4A5DA9A7CB

1
                                                                                                                                                                    • #44248
                                                                                                                                                                      Sandra
                                                                                                                                                                      Keymaster

Looking great, MaryAnn!

0
                                                                                                                                                                      • #44477
                                                                                                                                                                        Sue
                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

This gamp was fascinating to weave, seeing what delicate patterns were going to emerge and how they changed their look with a change of colour. I wove the first 3 gamps at 18 then took the warp down to 12. I used a fine ish dark blue flecked wool with a lighter blue boucle. I was really pleased with the finished article ( table runner). Finally chose a small patterned square at 16 which will form part of a banner to advertise our weaving group’s new name when we have our local exhibition next month.image

0
                                                                                                                                                                          • #44478
                                                                                                                                                                            Ellen Black
                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

your table runner is wonderful !

0
                                                                                                                                                                          • #44484
                                                                                                                                                                            Sandra
                                                                                                                                                                            Keymaster

Beautiful, Sue!   It’s nice to see you finding things on your gamp that you have already seen a future for 😉

0
                                                                                                                                                                            • #44759
                                                                                                                                                                              Gabriele
                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

34343739_1995898817149949_8751599085166788608_nAfter finishing my Colour and weave gamp I tried one in twill, not exact in the same way but also with a different amount of dark and  light threads, blending from one colour to the other  (orange red to orange, yellow, light green to darkgreen) The first towel followed in the weft colours the wrap. In the other four towels I played with stripes 34366899_1995903657149465_4574091160368185344_n

• This reply was modified 2 years, 2 months ago by Gabriele.
                                                                                                                                                                                0
                                                                                                                                                                                • #44774
                                                                                                                                                                                  Ellen Black
                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Those are wonderful  !

0
                                                                                                                                                                                  • #44780
                                                                                                                                                                                    Ginette
                                                                                                                                                                                    Keymaster

Wow, beautiful!

0
                                                                                                                                                                                    • #47151
                                                                                                                                                                                      carol1855wlr
                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

They are beautiful!  You’ve given me ideas!

0
                                                                                                                                                                                    • #45261
                                                                                                                                                                                      Kelly Z.
                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

I absolutely loved weaving this. It was amazing to see the patterns emerge.

Since my loom was already set up for twill, I did the entire gamp in it for the second half. The patterns were interesting but didn’t wow me as much as the plain weave.

85982C3E-CBD3-4AD4-8C0B-25A98D39E206

It was great to see the plain weave patterns emerge. I can’t wait to apply some of these to other projects!

92F88B67-DEA0-43FE-8222-F2189472791A

I went with the suggested navy and white for the sample itself, but changed to a dark purple weft for the rest of the warp. I wanted to make a shawl/scarf.

1E28A4B2-54BE-4CB0-90FE-CCE9E5BD3139

For some of the solid areas I used a light purple in place of white  the effect is subtle. It’s interesting but my husband insists it looks very blue to him while I see the purple more

C4372064-3AA2-4800-BA71-2CBF1E7723A6

0
                                                                                                                                                                                        • #45272
                                                                                                                                                                                          Ginette
                                                                                                                                                                                          Keymaster

Good on you Kelly for trying it in twill as well!  This gives you a whole new take on the possibilities.  The plain weave is something else, it just amazed me when I wove it what you can do with just the colour effects.  I often refer to this gamp when I’m designing towels in plain weave and love it.

0
                                                                                                                                                                                        • #45285
                                                                                                                                                                                          MaryAnn Kull
                                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

Here’s a poncho I wove from my hand spun alpaca for our annual Weaver’s Challenge. The Gamp from Episode 4 came to the rescue for designing my piece. Thanks , JST. image

0
                                                                                                                                                                                            • #45287
                                                                                                                                                                                              Sandra
                                                                                                                                                                                              Keymaster

Beautiful and cozy for winter, hopefully a long way off!

0
                                                                                                                                                                                              • #45292
                                                                                                                                                                                                Ellen Black
                                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

What a beautiful way to show off your handspun!  Did you use a dummy warp ?

0
                                                                                                                                                                                              • #47017
                                                                                                                                                                                                Kathy
                                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

This lesson was awesome! I learned soooo much!

IMG_2397

2
                                                                                                                                                                                                  • #47019
                                                                                                                                                                                                    Ellen Black
                                                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Those turned out wonderful !  Each lesson is so much fun,  but this one was magical.  I enjoyed watching the patterns happen

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                      • #47033
                                                                                                                                                                                                        Kathy
                                                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

Thank you! Yes, it was magical and such a great learning experience!

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                    • #47139
                                                                                                                                                                                                      carol1855wlr
                                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

I’m in the planning stages for the Color and Weave Gamp and my main choice is between my 2 looms.  I have a 32″ Ashford Rigid Heddle, which would work for width, but the highest number of dents per inch I can get is 15.  My other option is to use my 15.75″ weaving width LeClerc Dorothy Table Loom on which I would have to do a double width cloth.  I do have a 12 dent reed for the Dorothy.

I would like to hear some input on which loom you would choose to use.  Each poses problems.  I’m concerned the 15 dent reed will be too loose a weave with 8/2 cotton, which is the thread I have for the project.  Double width cloth poses problems with accurate threading.

Help Please!

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                        • #47190
                                                                                                                                                                                                          Kathy
                                                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

Hi Carol, I just responded to your post in Ravelry a little while ago but I’ll post it here too.

After weaving the gamp per Jane’s guidelines (18 epi) I opened my sett to 15 epi to use a boucle yarn. While playing on the loom I decided to try 8/2 cotton again in the weft and beat at 15 ppi. The cloth came out very nice. It would be great for clothing (nice drape) but for this project it became a tea towel and it was perfectly fine. Finished width after washing was 19-1/2”.
                                                                                                                                                                                                            I don’t know if this will help (not a very good one), but here’s a picture of the 15epi x 15ppi. I did an all red one this way too:

IMG_2404

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                            • #47194
                                                                                                                                                                                                              carol1855wlr
                                                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Kathy I was just on Ravelry looking at your projects; they were great!  I do appreciate knowing just what 15 epi would be like to weave and wash.  I was concerned it would be too loose, but it looks lovely in your photo!  I’ll put some warp on both looms and see what happens.  Thanks Again!

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                • #47215
                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Kathy
                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

You’re very welcome!

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                • #48455
                                                                                                                                                                                                                  gabi-tomas
                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

How good to read this! I have a 24 inch loom and cannot open up this sample further dan 15 epi. Love your results!

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                • #47228
                                                                                                                                                                                                                  carol1855wlr
                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Looks like I’m going to weave this one on my rigid heddle loom.  I’ve discovered I can use my double heddle setup to achieve a higher thread count.  SO. . . I can warp 18 epi with 2 of my 10 dent heddles.  Found the answers in some older books I forgot I had.  Will be a new adventure for me.  But I’m pleased I’ll be able to see the individual gamp squares blooming before my eyes!

I also seem to be making a dog’s breakfast of the threading for double width weaving in my WeaveIt Pro, so I probably will not use my smaller 4 shaft table loom.  Though I’ll keep trying!  I’m a very ‘stick to it’ kinda gal.

A big Thank You to everyone who helped me, I really appreciate it!

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                    • #47313
                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Kathy
                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Good for you, Carol! I hope it all goes smoothly. Be sure to post pictures!

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                  • #47242
                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Barbara
                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

A couple results from the colour and weave warp. One sample experimenting with designs and/or slub yarns and one woven with boucle at 12 epi. 5741087C-2C1D-4FC6-BB37-705710A65E2A1C4BD4FA-71B9-4373-B308-1F5A51B69EB2

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                      • #47302
                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Ellen Black
                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

Looks great !

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                          • #47312
                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Barbara
                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Thank you Ellen. I had fun playing and puzzling with this warp.

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                          • #47315
                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Kathy
                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Nice samples Barbara! I played with boucle in my samples too and loved it!

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                              • #47340
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Barbara
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

Thank you Kathy. I opened the sett to 12 epi for the boucle and the drape would be lovely for a scarf or shawl or a very fast drying towel for summertime use when nothing actually seems to get dry.

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                            • #47894
                                                                                                                                                                                                                              rita.msmiller
                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

I finished and love this warp!!fullsizeoutput_4bbe

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                • #47916
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Ellen Black
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Looks great !  I loved weaving this one too and watching the magic happen.

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                • #48310
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Sandra
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Keymaster

Slow but sure is getting me there.  I’ve had the thrill of taking this retreat at Jane’s but wanted to have the fun of exploring the samples further.  I should have ironed these before I ran to grab a bit of sun before the rains (thankfully) came to the wet coast.

DSLR-S-2018-09-08-12

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  • #48388
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Jae
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

I really like how the yellow “pops” when it is used in a larger section than just the divider.

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    • #48906
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Jan
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Color and weave gamp towels.

F18C5638-D6DB-43E4-A787-9992A3BDA186

1
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        • #48937
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          carol1855wlr
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

Jan I just love, love, love the colors you chose!  Beautiful!

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          • #48938
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Ellen Black
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Beautiful! Wonderful colors !

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          • #48907
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Sandra
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Keymaster

Beautiful, Jan and so well photographed!

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            • #48945
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Jan
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

Thanks everyone.  I like them too.  It was so interesting experimenting with the colors.

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              • #66868
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                WoolTherapy
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

I just finished with sample #1 and I’m ready to start this sample. But I don’t have a dozen cones in each color. Did everyone buy more yarn or is there another trick to this I’m not catching? Or did everyone warp one thread at a time?

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  • #66893
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Sandra
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Keymaster

Don’t worry about it!  I had three cones of both the white and blue plus one of apricot and I wound the warp with what I had.  The whole idea is to work with what you have and enjoy it – even if it takes a bit more time to wind the warp 😉

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  • #84288
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    janetricebredin
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

I’m about to create the warp for Sample #2, and I want to increase the width in the reed to somewhere close to 24” for larger tea towels. Can anyone recommend  options? Either increase the width of each section, or repeat some of the sections? At 18 epi I would need 432 ends for 24”. Any suggestions are welcome 🙂 Thanks!

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    • #131238
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      manuscripts1
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

My color and weave gamp plus tea towels from the same warp.

Gamp

Gamp Towels

1
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        • #131285
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Sandra
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Keymaster

Beautifully done, manuscripts1!

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        • #158888
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Anne Brickman
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Participant

Thoughts about the Color and Weave gamp, sample 2: I was happy to find the threads did not twist very much, when weaving off.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            I took a wrong track on the warping board while holding 5 ends, and didn’t notice until the last section was warped. I remembered a Charlotte story from an upcoming episode. So I carefully unwound onto another spool, found that the path in error was too long, so was able to fix it, then carefully rewarp the rest and didn’t have to waste much.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            When I opened up to 12 epi, I wove with wool. Didn’t pay attention and tossed it in the washer with the rest of the project. Predictably, it went from a balanced weave at 29”, to 20”. So I cut armholes into it and made it into a vest/wrap for the toddler granddaughter.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            very enjoyable project.

1
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            • #158895
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Ginette
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Keymaster

So glad you found a way to utilize the piece Anne! I’m always thinking cushions when that happens to me but love your idea of a vest for a toddler 🙂

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            • #162396
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Elisabeth Schelp
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

IMG_20200415_164344764This color and weave gamp made me so happy because it is the most complicated weaving I’ve done so far and it came out so pretty! I made this pillow and a set of four towels.

3
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                • #162400
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Sandra
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Keymaster

Beautiful use of the gamp, Elizabeth!

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    • #162578
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Elisabeth Schelp
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Thank you for that encouragement, Sandra! I was slow getting a photo of my towels, but here are three of them.  I especially liked the basket weave effect in the towel on the top. IMG_20200331_204331462

1
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  • #162469
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Elysa Dennett
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Hi – I am wondering why my Gamp looks so different from Janes example. I really like hers, the patterns are clean and crisp, but mine seem a lot more messy. See below, I have overlayed my weaving on top of a screenshot of her Gamp weaving video. I hope I have made it easy to see. Any ideas? I am using 8/2 Brassard cotton and have followed the directions exactly, made no changes. 18ppi and 18epi.

Gamp

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      • #162473
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Sandra
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Keymaster

Elisa, a wee question to start with – have you washed your gamp yet?  Things settle in once it’s washed.  Let us know and we can take it from there.

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          • #162569
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Elysa Dennett
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Hi Sandra, that is a good idea.  No I have not washed yet, but I am comparing to Jane’s unwashed example as well.

1
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          • #162492
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Ginette
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Keymaster

Just to add to Sandra’s comment, I’m just focusing on a couple of the squares, your threading sequence, for DDDD/LLLL it looks like you threaded right to left  LLLL/DDDD, the DDD/L is threaded L/DDD, the DD/LL is threaded LL/DD and such? If so, this will give it a different look to Jane’s. But it’s not wrong, just different, it’s kind of cool actually.

Your photo is super helpful and detailed to look at by the way, love how you did it 😉

1
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              • #162573
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Elysa Dennett
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

Hi Ginette – That was a super good idea.  The threading you see at the top is Jane’s. Might her threading be reversed?   It does actually look like it.  My threading is the image at the bottom and if you compaire the DDDD,LLLL you can see hers starts with Light and mine starts with Dark.  I checked mine to make sure, images of my threading are below.

I have moved on since and am weaving all white weft now, but just to show you this is the second threading of DD,LL.  I think this is correct.

dd,ll

here is my DDDD,LLLL threading, this does look correct as well, Right?

dddd,llll

Do you think I should try to reverse my threading?

THANK YOU!

1
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  • #162579
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Ginette
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Keymaster

Hi Elysa,

The threading from the draft which is the same as Jane’s in the photo, would be threaded right to left so you would start threading with the LLLL from the DDDD/LLLL sequence.  That said, I don’t think you should rethread right now, play with what you have. The only difference is that the edges of most of them are different from the draft, threads next to the dividers. If you look at the centre of some of the squares, they look the same. This sample gamp will be a great sample to look at in the future when you want to design a piece and choose one of the squares or a couple of them.

1
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      • #162583
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Elysa Dennett
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

OH MY GOODNESS!!  I see what you mean and that makes sense now that you point it out.  I was reading right to left (how we normally read).  So this will be the same with warping too.  Sheesh! DDDD/LLLL would be warped LLLL then DDDD.  Ok. It is a bit of an Ah Ha moment.   Now I really want to do it again and warp and thread the right way and see how that comes out!  Thank you!

1
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                • #162506
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Elysa Dennett
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Participant

Hi – I am wondering why my Gamp looks so different from Janes example. I really like hers, the patterns are clean and crisp, but mine seem a lot more messy. See below, I have overlayed my weaving on top of a screenshot of her Gamp weaving video. I hope I have made it easy to see. Any ideas? I am using 8/2 Brassard cotton and have followed the directions exactly, made no changes. 18ppi and 18epi.

Gamp

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    • #162510
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Sandra
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Keymaster

Elysa, if you scroll up above this post, Ginette and I have already tried to answer your question which included your photos.  Maybe you are looking for answers from other Guild members, if so – hopefully they will chip in.

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    • #162568
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Elysa Dennett
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Sorry, I guess my comments posted twice.

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      • #173696
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Gary Michaelis
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Participant

Finished sample 2 and loved how it came out.  04BD5051-DED8-4127-8843-21F3D36FB280318899AB-0A96-47A8-A391-3BEFDC56A0849063B51C-DE93-4732-9F0D-C794D3BC45F4

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          • #173697
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Sandra
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Keymaster

👏👏👏 Way to go, Gary.  It looks like you had fun!

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          • #174703
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Katie Werner
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Participant

Little Hank Williams says I’ve been spending too much time on these samples and not enough time petting her. Sorry Hanky, I’m having too much fun!

FullSizeRender

2
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            • #41578
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Jacqueline
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Participant

My gosh, bought the navy in one big cone of 6500 meter….oink! I do have three cones of another blue, considered which one to use.:-), it will be the not so easy way, see picture, with thanks to ikea paperrollholder.

Navyklein

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              • #41775
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Patricia
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                Participant

About to warp the colour gamp sample and have a question.

where it is dddd llll jane says to wind with 2 threads in the hand, does that mean one of each colour? Paticia

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                • #41784
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Sandra
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  Keymaster

This is what Jane wrote responding to a question about DDDD/LLLL in the comments section under the video:

“What you do want is 4 dark/ 4 light threaded in the heddles. There are 3 ways this can be achieved. Lets look at the options.

1. You could hold one end in your hand and wind on 4 dark, then break it and tie on the light and warp 4 more threads and go through that all the way across the section. It will take the longest time.

2. You could hold 2 dark in your hand and go up and down and you would have 4 dark, then break it and tie on the 2 light and go up and down. It would be faster than #1 but would still be a lot of starting and stopping, breaking and tying.

As I said in the video that is how I did it forever before Charlotte figured out an easier way. The pattern was written before we filmed this part.

#3 is what I describe in the video. This is the fastest and easiest way to do it..GO back and watch it again and I’m sure it will make sense.

One last thing that maybe you don’t understand….
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    If you don’t put the first two on by themselves you won’t have 4 of one colour. If you just start with 2 light and 2 dark in your hand, you won’t have 4 of one colour for your first stripe.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    I don’t think I can explain it any better than that. You need to try it for yourself and you can do it however you want. 🙂

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  • #41788
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Martha
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Participant

Happy to see I’m not the only one feeling challenged with handling more than one thread/color for the gamp on the warping board!  Also happy no one can see me bumbling through this process!  Hah!  Love the challenge…

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    • #41797
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      judy
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Participant

Help needed please:

I began preparing my warp for episode 4, and suddenly had a thought:  if, for example in the first section, the directions say to warp 48 ends D/L, does this mean wrap both of those 2 colours together 48 times around my warping mill (equaling 96 ends), or does it mean warp the 2 together 24 times, which would equal 48 ends????  I think the second but need reassurance before I continue.

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      • #41799
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Sandra
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Keymaster

Hi Judy,  Jane lays it all out for us on the draft download with the Colour and Gamp sample Episode.  If you look at the front page you’ll see that the total number of threads needed for the warp is 348 and page 2 shows us how many threads are in each section.  So – you can see there that the total number of threads is 48 in the first section, 1 each D/L wound 24 times and then 4 ends of apricot.  Relax, follow Jane’s directions and you will have a happy warp!

0
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      Viewing 72 reply threads
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.