Changing the sett

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Judy Dusick
      Participant

Did I miss the explanation of how to change the sett from 18 epi to 12?  I’m not sure how to manage the changeover in the reed?   Thanks, Judy

Ginette
        Keymaster

Hi Judy,

When you cut your woven samples at 18epi off the loom, leave enough of your warp ends long enough as if you were going to tie on for the first time, just so you don’t have any threads accidently coming out of their heddles.  Then you just remove the threads from the reed and resley them for 12 epi.

Hope this helps!

Ginette

Sharon
          Participant

I changed the sett from 18epi to 8epi on a 8/2 cotton warp and went from tea towels to lightweight summer blankets.  I used Pakucho 10/2/5 yarn for the blanket wefts.  (One of the ) Best things about this warp is that it was stash-busting!  I’d had the Pakucho yarn since a trip to Peru almost 10 years ago.

Towel at 18epi, Lunatic Fringe American Maid cotton and Jane’s organic cotton (white)

unnamed-1

Changing the sett (I had to remove some of the ends to enable it to fit.

unnamed-2

Blanket Pool 😉

unnamed

unnamed-3

Betty.allen
              Participant

Sharon, I love your towels and your summer blankets.  What an amazing transformation.  Is Pakucho an alpaca wool by chance?  If so I’d like to try this on my warp.  I have an 8yard warp on.  I’ve woven about 30 inches for one towel.  The towel is around 21” wide woven, 280 ends in a 12 dent reed.  I need to get my reed substitution,chart and see if I can make it work.  Thanks for sharing the pics and information.

Sharon
                  Participant

Thank you.    😊. The Pakucho is a natural coloured cotton.  Very much like the American Maid stuff, just much thicker.  It is available in the US.

Ginette
                  Keymaster

So beautiful Sharon! WOW that drape on the blankets! And the colours 🙂

Kathy
                    Participant

Gorgeous!

Sandra
                    Keymaster

An inspiration, Sharon!

Carrie
                      Participant

Wow.  Those blankets are beautiful!

Betty.allen
                        Participant

I have  4 dent reed.  It came with my loom and I’m not sure how it was used with the previous owner.  Is there a mathematical calculation I can use to add it to my reed substitution chart?  I would like to be able to use it if possible,  I have a 10 and 12 dent.  Just hoping I could use this 4dent reed.  Any thoughts.

Betty.allen
                            Participant

I have sort of answered my own question.  I decided to think through the process and at that time I discovered my reed is actually a 5 dent reed.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.