Challenges with my Louet David Loom

Weaving Supplies, Yarn & Looms Canada Forums Weaving Discussion Challenges with my Louet David Loom

This topic contains 12 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Sylvia 1 week, 2 days ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

Sylvia
    Participant

Hi Ginette,

Yes, I was in great hands.

Between Jane, Dave and Jan, my loom is behaving.

I had to move the texsolv that connects the springs to the Camms, 3 spots over. Then adjust everything else to make level again.

Now off to weave the sample.

Thank you all for your help. This was the only problem I ever had with my David. So happy it’s finally solved. Never wove on another David, so have no comparison. Just what I see on the online guild.

Have a wonderful day and weekend

Sylvia

Ginette
    Keymaster

Hi Sylvia,

Jane has mentioned that she’s in email contact with you about this issue, so we’ll leave you in her capable hands 🙂

Let us know when it’s figured out and what the issue is!

Sylvia
    Participant

Problem is, if I loosen the tension, then have to manipulate the harnesses with my hands for them to pop back up.

The length is 10.5″ off loom. Jane send me a sample back in 2013 when I first got the loom second hand

Ginette
    Keymaster

Thanks for checking all that Sylvia! You should be getting a bigger shed… what’s the length of your tie-up cords?

Sylvia
    Participant

Hi Ginette,

Thank you for all your suggestions. Some of the results are interesting. Never thought to check size of shed with different tensions.

If I loosen the tension, then the harnesses don’t come back up when I release treadles. Or come up very sluggish.

Size of shed stays the same for 2,4 tie up

Shed gets Bigger with looser tension on 1,4 from 2.5 to 3.5 cm. Mhhh, have to test all of them out.

1 harness to 1 treadle works fine. Comes down and up no problem.

2 harnesses to 1 treadle with proper tension is also fine.

3 harnesses to 1 treadle and the 4 th one come also down.

Cams move freely.

Only have warp on harness 1-4. Edge of Cams are 1.5 cm more to the right, then 5-8

The treadle that have 3 tied it, when I look at the cams while pressing treadle, all 4 cams move to right and when they are almost at the tipping point, then the one who is not tied up, tries and stays upright, but cannot. Almost feels like the springs don’t have enough oomph to keep things where it needs to be.

14 has better shed than 23.

Another weird thing. When I use all 8 harnesses and put PW on it, then treadles go up and down fine. May have to tighten just one tiny bit.  When I just use the first 4, then it gets sluggish.

This somehow just doesn’t make sense to me. Have woven many yards of warp on the loom.

Sylvia

Ginette
    Keymaster

Hi Sylvia,

What’s your warp tension like? If you loosen it up, does it still happen, small shed, other harnesses move down as well?

When you open up the castle top and press on a treadle, how are the cams moving? Freely or with difficulty?

Can you also try tying each harness to it’s own treadle and see if the shed improves or stays the same and also look at the individual cams while each is tied to a treadle.

Sylvia
    Participant

Thank you. Yes have the manual and went through everything. All looks well and it weaves fine when I use all the harnesses and pretty evenly.

I’m wondering if the springs in the castle may need to be replaced?

Loom was build in 1995. Not sure in how much use before I bought it in 2013

Ginette
    Keymaster

Hi Sylvia,

Just going to chime in, do you have the manual for the David Loom? I would go through the manual and check all the measurements, just give it a good once over.

Sylvia
    Participant

All looks well. Even climbed underneath and just pulled each harness down on its own.

where I tied up 134, added 578, but it didn’t help. There is nothing on the harnesses, but thought worth a shot. Still pulled the 2 down with it

Sylvia
    Participant

Let me triple check.

Got the David used 6 years ago and always had the issues that it would pull too many harnesses down or that I get a tiny shed when I don’t have all tied up. Also could get it to work, if I did just 1 against 2345678

Back in a bit

Sandra
    Keymaster

Hi Sylvia, my thoughts are that you have something – possibly in your warp – that is catching the shafts and forcing them to move together.  Have you always had this problem, or is it on this warp?  I would also double-check my tie-ups to make sure they are tied up the way you want them to be.

I recently had that happen on my David and found after doing a lot of checking, that – because I had quickly moved some heddles around between shafts – I hadn’t noticed that one of the heddles had caught on it’s neighbouring shaft and was forcing it to march in step with it!  No matter how long you have been weaving – things pop up to surprise you 😉

Sylvia
    Participant

Wow, another great episode. I have a warp ready and it’s on the loom. Just tried to weave and my shed is tiny. I do have an old Louet David.

When I press the treadle that 1,3 is tied up to, the 2,4 will also pull halfway down. Is there a way to fix this?

Noticed the same thing before when I don’t use all the harnesses

It doesn’t let me upload a photo:(

Oh and when I press the treadle that have 1,3,4 and 2,3,4 tied up, all of them go down. I know it’s a sinking shed, but I just weave it upside down.

Thanks, Sylvia

• This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by  Sandra.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by  Sandra.
    • This reply was modified 1 week, 4 days ago by  Sandra. Reason: merging two posts

Sylvia
    Participant

Oh and when I press the treadle that have 1,3,4 and 2,3,4 tied up, all of them go down. I know it’s a sinking shed, but I just weave it upside down.

Thanks, Sylvia

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.