Chaining disaster

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      irene
      Participant

I have never been good at chaining, but today carefully made small tight chains like Jane showed.  I was happy with my result, thought it was perfect.  After I put my warp through the raddle (Louet Erica) and started winding on, about half-way through the chain there was a tangle somehow.  I don’t understand what happened, I don’t know how to get out of it, and I can’t get past it.  This is for a workshop, so I can’t just cut it off there. Soooo depressing….

Ginette
        Keymaster

Hi Irene,

Sorry to hear you’re having troubles winding your loom.  Are you able to undo a bit more of the chain and give it a good yank to see if your threads will straighten out?

irene
          Participant

Ginette, my problem was that the tangle prevented me from undoing more of the chain.  I discovered that two loose ends had tangled into and around the chain in that spot.  I am a tenacious untangler! and was able to get them out a bit at a time.  Then I was able to continue winding on.

The remaining warp needed a lot of smoothing out, but the wound warp looks o.k.  I just wonder where those two loose ends came from!

Ginette
              Keymaster

So glad you got it untangled Irene!  Happy weaving 🙂

Ed Chapman
              Participant

Been there! I was doing the exact same maneuver when a couple of threads somehow performed fiber gymnastics and knotted themselves in a way you would think just could not happen. The cause was two threads that got looped incorrectly. Be sure you grab the entire mass of threads with each chain link. I missed a couple and did not notice until the wind on started.

Another place to watch out for is where you tie on. I always tie on at the end opposite my cross when warping. That way I avoid loops than can be missed when tying up the warp before removing it from the warping board. If you tie on color changes directly to the ends already warped then you avoid this.

Hope this helps!

irene
                  Participant

Thanks, Ed!  Just saw your message, as it had ended up in my spam folder.  I think what you said was correct, I must have missed a couple of threads when I was making my neat chain.  So many tiny errors cause big problems!!  But all is well now.

P.s. loved your description of threads doing fiber gymnastics!!

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by irene. Reason: added thought
              Viewing 3 reply threads
              • The forum ‘Season 2 – Colour & Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.