Buying yarns for the kits.

Viewing 45 reply threads
  • Author
      Jane
      Keymaster

Thank you to everyone who has ordered their first kit. As you know this is another new branch of the online guild for me….the making of kits to support the presentation.
        I had no idea how many people would order so I played it safe and ordered enough yarn for 100 kits.
        The yarns for the 2nd kit will arrive next week and we hope to have them all kitted up and ready to go by the end of the week. So if you wait until next week
        you can order both at the same time and that will definitely help with the shipping. We had a few orders yesterday where weavers were clearly going together
        to share their shipping. If you don’t have anyone to share the shipping with, then this would be a great time to add a friend to the guild ;), wink, wink and then you will.

I know you probably can’t believe it, but I’m still weaving samples for this programme. I developed this process through my production work but those pieces are long gone so
        I am having to reproduce everything so I can show you the proof. This means I am still building the content. The one thing I can tell you is that the kits will only have the 8/2 cotton yarn for the base sample and
        8 yards of work on it. As you saw in the intro I go off on different tangents releying and using different weft yarns. I am not providing those yarns in the kits. Those tangents are optional and the purpose of them is to help you use you stash productively and successfully. There isn’t much that I don’t use together. I weave cotton with wool, with silk, with linen, with bambu…..I don’t make yarns live in separate worlds. You will also learn how to mix different weights of yarns, one in the warp and one in the weft and still create beautifully balanced and drapey cloth. I am hoping you will be able to do some serious stash busting this year.

Sample #1 uses 1 cone each of Black, Red, White, Light Grey and Dark Grey
        Sample #2 uses 3 cones of Natural, 3 cones of Navy, 1 cone of Apricot.
        If you want to use similar colours, like black and white and another divider that is totally fine.

Anywhoooooooo….as usual, I hope this helps.
        Over and Out

• This topic was modified 6 years, 5 months ago by Jane.
        Wendy Knudson
        Participant

Can you post a document that gives us the details for winding the warp for the first project?

Jane
            Keymaster

I’ll get Alastair to do that first thing MOnday.

🙂

Bonnie
            Participant

Darn I wish I had known the second kit would be available so soon! I have already ordered the first one.

Jacqueline
              Participant

Dear Jane,

I am buying in Holland from Venne: you mentionened one cone. I can order either

–  a Reel which is 1625 m and 250 gram, or
                –  Eurocone which is 6500 meters and 1000 gram.

Which one do you mean?

Love your videos, really gave me a boost allready!

Thanks for letting me know.

Jacqueline
                Netherlands

Jacqueline
                Participant

Oh, it must be the Eurocone…. for 7 or 8 ends per cm, 50 cm wide and about 10 meter warp. (3500 meters) Could have thought of that before… .

Jacqueline
                  Participant

oh jee, it could be the reels too, well I will wait for your advice before ordering way to much..sorry for the fuss.

Sandra
                    Keymaster

Hi Jacqueline,  Jane loves to use 8/2 cotton for her tea towels and more and that is what she is using in the Asymmetry sample starting next month.  You can find it here, on her website, and can do the conversations to metric.  I love to use Venne’s organic cotton – it is such a treat to weave with but a tad more expensive.  However, I don’t see a non-organic 8/2 on Venne’s site.  The 250 gr. cone is slightly larger than the 8 oz. cone of non-organic that Jane will be using.  Is there another source of yarn that you could find in Europe for the less expensive non-organic yarn?

Jacqueline
                        Participant

Hi Sandra,

Thank you!
                          I just needed to know what Jane ment by CONE. Since Venne sells reel (250 gram) and cone (1000 gram)
                          We are used to the English use of epi etc. So that’s fine.
                          I will order the organic reels, do know of other yarnsources in Europe but it would cost much more per reel and also for sending. (Venne is located also in Holland).

Have a lovely day and till next time!
                          Jacqueline

silverymoon
                          Participant

I have found that for Cottolin, the organic Venne is actually the cheapest to get from Germany (there’s like 3 online shops for weaving yarn in Germany, but I get mine in Holland as well, and the shipping is not that much more expensive). The 8/2 cotton is in the same price range. And as others have said, the amount of cones is for the 250g cones, not the eurocones.

Geraldine
                              Participant

I live in uk and struggling to find sources of cotton. Do you have name of German online site

Jacqueline
                                  Participant

Hi, You might try www.vennecolcoton.com in the Netherlands or other Venne suppliers.

tbrickerbrac
                              Participant

Can you please tell us the colours and quantities needed for each project now so I can replenish my stash of 8/2 cotton all at once and save on shipping.

i probably won’t need to purchase the kits; just fill in my own stash.

im really looking forward to this season!

Korina
                                Participant

Just read the email with the info for all the kits!  Super helpful!  I am considering ordering all of them at once to save on shipping, plus some extras to play with.  I don’t have a lot of weaving stash yet.  I was thinking some boucle, maybe linen and maybe some silk?  Are there any that you would recommend?  I do have some wool (quite fine stuff from CM) and cottolin.  And of course, a large stash of knitting yarn and homespun.

I was also thinking that at the end of the year I will have a rather large stack of towels, samples and maybe scarves!  Wooohooo!  The one thing I am really excited about is being able to come up with my own designs.  I’ve several projects that I have been afraid to start because I don’t know what weave structure will work best or if mixing yarns is going to be a disaster.  I just don’t have much weaving experience, so this is perfect.

Sandra
                                  Keymaster

Well Korina – I know where I’d start and that would be ordering the sample cards from Jane in the fibres that are calling to you 😉  That way you could actually see the colours in the samples we’re going to weave and find colours you’d like to work with in the fibres you mentioned.  You also might take a peek at the organic cotton – it’s fabulous and I love the absorbency of using it as weft in a 2/8 cotton tea towel.

I have the set of sample cards and always use them when planning a warp when I don’t have enough stash in the right colour.  Just saying ………………….. 😁

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by Sandra.
                                      Korina
                                      Participant

What a great idea!  I have sample cards for Bockens and Borgs and a few others, but not from JST.  Thank you!

Forgive my OCD.  I’m trying to figure out how much yarn I need for the whole series.  For example I need black in Sample 1 and 6.  Will one cone cover both or do I need two? I need Navy in Sample 2, 3 and 7.  Three are needed for Sample 2.  Will what’s left cover Sample 3 and 7?  I need Gold in Sample 4 and 7.  Will one cone cover both or do I need two?  I have some of the colors but do I have enough.  Could you give us approximate yardage needed of each color?  I need to budget as much as possible.  TIA.

Sample Color Needs

Jane
                                        Keymaster

The yardage requirements per colour per sample is almost impossible to provide.

#1….I have no idea how long you are going to make your warps….We have weavers working on table looms, rigid heddle looms, full floor sized floor looms.   I know some weavers will make long warps and others short warps.

#2 After the first sample is woven on each warp you will all do your own thing based on the samples I present in each episode.  I am not providing thread by thread pick sequences because I am trying to get everyone to be inspired by the presentation and then to go and put it into action themselves because they understand the system.  This is the furthest you could get from rote weaving.  In the samples, I use the colours from one warp on another warp, they move all over the place.  I get out my ugly colour bag and use colours I hate to prove that the system I’m teaching will hold true in 99% of all circumstances.

There are 26 colours of 2/8 cotton used in all the sample warps.  As you will see I weave using the 2/8 as weft for yards and yards but then on every sample I break out, change the sett, cut things out, tie things on…..and get completely different looking fabrics using all kinds of other wefts.

If you start with 1 cone of all 27 colours with the exception of navy and natural (you need 3 each of those, so you can warp with multiple ends in your hands) you might have enough but because of all the variables involved in this way of working, length of warp and how you use the colours in the weft….there is absolutely no possible answer.

We are putting the kits together for people who have no stash at all, like all our new toddler weavers and then the list of colours used in the warps is just there to help you supplement what you already have or may need.

If you get the colours for the first three projects that would be great….after you have woven them you can decide what you need for the next set of warps and by that time you will be well on your way to understanding how truly liberating this system is.

AND remember…..you don’t have to make every warp….you may hate the colours I use but love the graphic ideas…so use your own colours….this is about the freedom that comes with the base system.  It is like learning to play jazz on your loom.  The videos are not going anywhere, they will be there as long as this technology supports all this….and next year there is another entire workshop.  Remember as long as your a member of the guild you have access to everything 🙂

I hope this helps.

Jane

Maureen Janda
                                        Participant

Very helpful answer,  Jane, especially the recommendation to buy the yarn for the first three projects and then decide on the remaining. My poor brain can’t handle the whole workshop all at once. Now I’m off to order the sample cards as Sandra recommended.

Betty.allen
                                          Participant

Are there kits for session one other than the mohair kit.  And what size reed is needed for the mohair blanket.  I thought I read in the comments somewhere that a 6  dent was needed?

Ginette
                                              Keymaster

Hi Betty,

The reed size for mohair blanket is 6 dent.  Also, from the index, you can find 2 more patterns Jane gave in the PDFs.

-Charlotte’s scarf – Lesson 10

-Grant’s Shetland Blankie – Lesson 6

There’s also a ‘collapse scarf’ that I forgot to add to the index 😉  That’s in Lesson 10 as well.

That said, Jane does have kits on the website https://janestaffordtextiles.com/product-category/kits-2/ of gorgeous scarves that you might want to look at.

Ginette

Betty.allen
                                              Participant

Ginette, thanks for the information on the patterns.  I’ll print them off.  I don’t have a 6 dent reed but strangely when I bought my loom used it came with a 4 dent.  I wonder if I could use that.  I’ll look at my printed material and see.

Ginette
                                                  Keymaster

Hi Betty,

You’re welcome!  With your 4 dent reed, you could try a sample or  scarf with mohair, sley 1,2 and see how that works for you.

Ginette

Melissa
                                                  Participant

Hello.  I’m not finding Dark Purple.  Have I just missed it?  Or is the “Purple” actually the Dark Purple and the “Lilac” the Light Purple?

Thank you.

Ginette
                                                      Keymaster

Hi Melissa

It’s the purple (for the dark purple listed) and then there’s a light purple.

Ginette

Sandra
                                                      Keymaster

Hi kids – as Jane would say 😉 – the kit for sample #2, Colour and Weave, is now in stock on her online shop. They will be assembling the kits and will have them ready to ship out early this week.

Korina
                                                        Participant

At what point will we need the 8 dent reed?

Sandra
                                                            Keymaster

We’ll know more on February 8th, but really it all depends on each of us, whether we want/plan to weave each of the samples, when we plan to weave them – if we do, what size reeds we already have at hand, etc.  The beauty of learning from Jane on her Online Guild is that it’s up to each one of us how we approach using the information she is giving us.  There is no pressure to get samples done by the end of a 3 day workshop – for example.  We can set our own pace and when we’re ready, Jane will be waiting to go over it all with us again – the beauty of doing it online.  We can watch each episode as often as we want.

Nancy
                                                            Participant

Hi,

How does the size of the Reed come into play with these projects?

Is it up to us what size we use?

I always get confused in how the calculations work out when spreading the warp on the raddle and back beam to the specified project width size in conjunction with the Reed size (is the width size the total width with all the take-up and shrinkage included spread on the raddle; or is it the original width you want the see the project at when finished)?

Here’s my example to start Sample One:

• Use a 12 Reed at 18 epi (going off Jane’s Reed Substitution Chart)
                                                              • Reed sley is 1-2/dent across

Is this also going to give me 18 ppi, or will I still need to calculate further to ensure this is occurring (of course keeping in mind how I beat)?

Thanks a bunch!

Nancy

Wendy Knudson
                                                                Participant

If you look at the project specs, it says to wind 280 ends to get a finished width of about 12 1/2 inches. The width in the raddle and the reed would be 15 1/2 inches, the whole width including take up, shrinkage etc. I believe that’s all covered in the early season 1 videos.

Nancy
                                                                    Participant

Wendy, thank you!

Beth Napper
                                                                  Participant

Sorry, am I missing something? Where are the project specs???

Wendy Knudson
                                                                      Participant

Hmmm, I thought Jane had posted it. I emailed and asked her for it as I already had the colors in my stash. I believe it’s included with the kit.

Ginette
                                                                        Keymaster

Hi Beth,

Did you receive the email Jane sent out to the guild members on January 22nd?  It has  the first sample pattern specs.

Ginette

• #42131
                                                                            Karen
                                                                            Participant

Hi Ginette,

i joined after the January 22 email was sent. Could you please resend it?  Thanks so much.

• #39732
                                                                          Beth Napper
                                                                          Participant

Thank you, Ginette.  I did receive the Jan. 22nd memo  but missed the link for the draft.

• #39912
                                                                            Beth Napper
                                                                            Participant

Can I order the yarn kit minus the four colours I already have or do I have to order them individually. There are some colours out of stock so that is why I am asking. Thanks

• #39980
                                                                                Ginette
                                                                                Keymaster

Hi Beth,

Oh I meant to reply to you this morning!  Sorry about that, I got distracted.  You can order just the colours that you need if you want, you already have the pattern as a pdf download so you’re set for that.

Ginette

• #40076
                                                                                Beth Napper
                                                                                Participant

Thank you, Ginette.

• #40086
                                                                                  Betty.allen
                                                                                  Participant

I have an abundance of 8/4 cotton in various colors.  Could I use this instead of the 8/2 in the kits?  Betty

• #40090
                                                                                      Ginette
                                                                                      Keymaster

Hi Betty,

If you use 4/8 cotton, you’ll have to change your sett and your warp width would be wider than the pattern if you keep to the same amount of threads ends, if you loom can accommodate that then that’ll work.  If you want the original width of the samples, then  you’ll have to modify the number of threads.

Ginette

• #40095
                                                                                          Betty.allen
                                                                                          Participant

Thanks Ginette.  My loom is 45 wide so the extra width won’t be a problem. I’ll look at my sett chart and see how to adjust for 8/4.  Thank you so much for your help.

• #40106
                                                                                        Sandra
                                                                                        Keymaster

How wonderful to have an affordable source for Venne Cottolin!  The colour range is wonderful.  Do you have access to their Organic cotton as well?  The feel and absorbency of the cloth it produces is fabulous.  Luckily, Jane carries both and I have a good selection in my stash – some might appear as weft in my samples!

• #40131
                                                                                            silverymoon
                                                                                            Participant

Well, the question is whether it is actually affordable 😀 It still costs twice as much as the “normal” cotton Jane has on offer, and as I said, it is just a tad more expensive than the non-organic 8/2 cotton I could get in Germany. So if I order the colours needed for sample #2 in Holland, I pay more than  twice as much as for the kit…. but the shipping to Germany is more than the kit, so I guess I’m stuck ordering in Europe – I would also have to pay customs and taxes if I ordered from Canada :(. No 10 yard-warps for me! I guess I’ll do 6 meters and have more stash left over 😀

• #40136
                                                                                            Sandra
                                                                                            Keymaster

Oh darn!  I got all excited for you thinking those wonderful yarns were more affordable there 😉  It takes a long time to build a stash but once it starts I swear the cones multiply when the light is turned off and I’m not looking!  One day you’ll wonder what happened!

• #40206
                                                                                              Maureen Janda
                                                                                              Participant

I’m confused about the prices shown in the shop. Are they Canadian pricing? I’m sure that in the past at logon I’ve seen three “tabs” at the top of some page (maybe LOGON?) to choose Canada US or Euro dollars. I can’t find or get to that choice now so I’m not sure what my total means.

• #40209
                                                                                                Maureen Janda
                                                                                                Participant

Another question, sorry. I plan to buy a 12 dent reed for my David, but I’m not sure about the 8 dent for now. In which guild episode does Jane use an 8 dent and for what kind of yarn? Between my warm climate and family allergies, I’d never use mohair, so I’m wondering if that’s it.

• #40210
                                                                                                  Sandra
                                                                                                  Keymaster

Hi Maureen – do you see the tabs at the top right hand side of the JST Online Shop page?  They are to the left of the Search option.  If the CAN tab is blue – you are shopping in CAN$, the USD tab is blue – you are shopping in US dollars, etc.

Regarding your other question – have you downloaded the reed substitution chart in Season 1: Epidode 4?  Think about the yarn weights you are most likely to use and their setts (which you learned from that episode).  Then use the chart as a guide to decide which reed is most useful to you.  I don’t have a wide 12 dent reed for my David, so I’m using a narrower one from my table loom for the first sample.  When I cut and resley, I’ll switch to a wide 8 dent reed for the samples.  It all works 😉

• #40219
                                                                                                      Maureen Janda
                                                                                                      Participant

Hi, Sandra,

That’s the problem. There are no tabs there, on the logon page, on the shop page, within the shop. I’ve clicked on them in the past, but  now they just don’t appear for me. I’ve tried logging off and on again – no luck. I do access the shop and guild from more than one source, often. I might have an episode up on my desktop, laptop and Ipad at the same time as I wander the house. However, even after logging off all devices, then logging on one, still no tabs.

• #40221
                                                                                                          Maureen Janda
                                                                                                          Participant

Sandra, I found the tabs again! Turns out if you set Windows 10 to zoom in on the page – I magnified it to 125%- the heading at the top of the page shows the black band with Logon Account the search box and the little shopping cart symbol and cart – but the three tabs disappear. Gone as long as the page is magnified, and with my eyes I often leave it that way.

Sigh.

• #40222
                                                                                                        Sandra
                                                                                                        Keymaster

Whew!  That’s great you found them.  I check both my devices and they were there – I was ready to call in the ‘Wonder Techie’ – aka Alastair, to see if he could explain it.  I just pull my monitor closer when I’m on it 😉

• #40401
                                                                                                          Maureen Janda
                                                                                                          Participant

I just put in a, for me, big order  for the 2 kits and then just added the yarns for samples 3 and 4 so that I totaled over the $250 mark and got free shipping.  It was a bunch of items, and I got an email back within <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>25 minutes</span> that my order was shipped, with a tracking number and everything!

I don’t see that I lose anything by purchasing the yarns outside of the kits since I’ll get the drafts/patterns online.

Thank you for the speed. Now I’ll see how fast the USPS is.

• #40931
                                                                                                            Maureen Janda
                                                                                                            Participant

I am getting ready to do Assymetry but my kit doesn’t have a dark grey yarn. Instead it has a medium brownish yarn. The closest I can come comparing it to your color card that I ordered is khaki. Not certain that’s it, but it’s quite definitely not dark grey.

• #40937
                                                                                                              Sandra
                                                                                                              Keymaster

That’s seems to be the tone of that dark grey, for some reason.  However, it does work well in the sample – happy warping 🙂

• #41092
                                                                                                                Diane
                                                                                                                Participant

I’m considering an order for the next couple of samples, and note that the color-and-weave sample calls for 3 cones of Navy.  Is that because of the total quantity required, or because having 3 “packages” of yarn will make warp winding easier?  (I do have some on hand, so am debating ordering 2 or 3).

Thanks!

Diane

• #41100
                                                                                                                  Sandra
                                                                                                                  Keymaster

Diane – Jane’s plan is for us to learn how to wind warps holding several threads at a time, making creating a warp faster.  That is why she is suggesting the amount of yarn she is listing for the sample, as you surmised behind “door number 2” 😉

• #41133
                                                                                                                    Deborah Cannatella
                                                                                                                    Participant

When will the next project begin? I’m trying to decide if I have time to wind on a warp and work on something else  before the 2nd project.  And… is there a way we can get the info for the project soon? I’d like to wind on the warp as soon as my kit comes in. Yes… impatient!

• #41239
                                                                                                                        Ginette
                                                                                                                        Keymaster

Hi Deborah, the draft comes with the kit so you’ll be all set up when it arrives.  The episode for Colour & Weave Gamp airs March 15th.

Ginette

• #41460
                                                                                                                        Annette Beasley
                                                                                                                        Participant

So…I’m trying to use up some stash for the samples.  For sample 2 & 3 the colour ‘apricot’ is used.  I have Maurice Brassard colours in my stash that I think are close … honey, chamois and melon…can I ask which one would be closest to the apricot?

• #41480
                                                                                                                            Diane
                                                                                                                            Participant

Annette, if I compare my MBrassard color card to  Jane’s apricot, it looks very close to Chamois.

Diane

• #41509
                                                                                                                                Annette Beasley
                                                                                                                                Participant

Diane,  thanks so much for your response, very helpful and I just happen to like the chamois the best of the three!

• #41475
                                                                                                                              Sandra
                                                                                                                              Keymaster

Annette, for sample #2 – any zinger would work as it brings life between blocks of navy and white.

Have you had a chance to watch Jane’s episode on colour, yet?  That might help you answer your own question for sample #3.  Apricot on my JST 8/2 sample card is a beautiful lemon with a wee splash of red.

• #41507
                                                                                                                                  Annette Beasley
                                                                                                                                  Participant

Sandra, thanks for your advice, haven’t dug into the colour episode yet but will do shortly!

• #41625
                                                                                                                                  Tara
                                                                                                                                  Participant

Hi there!

I’m quite enjoying this years videos to date, Jane, the advice you give on colour choices and how to pick palettes has been so helpful.

Curious question:

Life delayed my start on my projects, but I plan to get “all wound up” very shortly. That being said, we are in need of new bath towels in our home, and I thought I might try making my samples in to bath towels istead of tea towels. I do happen to have some 8/4 here that I would like to use up,and thought it might make thirsty towels, but might need to order more and possibly some cotton boucle, which would be used as the weft. If I use 8/4, (but also add in 8/2 for EITHER/OR the warp or weft), would it be better to use the 8/4 as the warp, or weft, or does it even matter at all?  I wasn’t going to double the 8/2, but it’s easy enough to do if it would make the towels not shrink in a waffly sort of way. I prefer to make towels that fold and hang well:)

Thanks for any input,

Tara, in Thunder Bay.

• #41632
                                                                                                                                    Sandra
                                                                                                                                    Keymaster

Hi Tara,  when playing with my Asymmetry warp, I changed my sett from 18 epi to 12 and back to 15.  One of the towels that I really like the hand on was one I used 4/8 as the weft (8/2 warp).  That being said, I’m not sure if it would be thick enough for bath towels but I’m looking forward to putting it into use as a hand towel.  Maybe someone else has a recommendation that they think will work for your bath towels and also use up your stash.

• #42132
                                                                                                                                      Sandra
                                                                                                                                      Keymaster

Hi Karen, glad to hear you got the information you needed!

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Sandra.
                                                                                                                                        • #42173
                                                                                                                                          Karen
                                                                                                                                          Participant

Sandra, can you tell me who manufactures the 8/2 cotton Jane uses in the kits?  I would like to compare colors in my stash to hers.

Thanks so much

• #42183
                                                                                                                                          Sandra
                                                                                                                                          Keymaster

Karen, sample cards are the best way to go, in my humble opinion 😏.  Right at the moment I have several of Jane’s sample cards within reach.  Should I have a yarn in my stash that isn’t one she carries, it’s wonderful to be able to compare it with the yarns she does carry to see where it “fits” using natural light.  They are an inexpensive and very helpful tool – in my book!  You can find them here.

• #42335
                                                                                                                                            bjwelke
                                                                                                                                            Participant

Hi,

Could I get the January 22nd email?  Thanks!

• #42438
                                                                                                                                              lovemk
                                                                                                                                              Participant

In the info on Kit #1 there is mention about changing out a colour in the warp.  Perhaps I mis-understood – is this correct, and if so where the info on that in the Guild Episodes?

I didn’t get a January email so did I miss any important information there?  Thanks!

• #42441
                                                                                                                                                Sandra
                                                                                                                                                Keymaster

lovemk – you can find the portion of the episode where Jane shows how to switch out the zinger by watching Season 2: Episode 2.3 at the 31:52 mark.  BTW – Ginette has created a complete Index of all the episodes under the Forum discussion title “Index”.

If you email me (sandra@janestaffordtextiles.com) with your direct email address, I’ll forward the January email on to you.

Hope this helps!

• #42750
                                                                                                                                                  Sandra
                                                                                                                                                  Keymaster

Are you on Ravelry, Geraldine?  Jane has an active group there, where this question has been discussed as well as here.  There seems to be no easy, cheap answer for cotton in the UK.  However, through Ravelry – you can message or tag certain members to ask what they have done to get affordable yarn.  BTW, what do you use to weave tea towels, etc.?  You can use the yarns that are reasonably available to you.

• #43161
                                                                                                                                                    Ellen Black
                                                                                                                                                    Participant

When will not #5 be available?

• #43169
                                                                                                                                                        Ginette
                                                                                                                                                        Keymaster

Hi Ellen, they should be ready by the end of May.

Ginette

Viewing 45 reply threads
                                                                                                                                                    • The forum ‘Season 2 – Colour & Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.