Broken Warp on mohair 6 epi

Forums Weaving Discussion Broken Warp on mohair 6 epi

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Josephine Tobin
      Participant

My question is about mending a broken warp thread. I am a new weaver and making a mohair sample and scarf before embarking on the blankie. I’m using a 50/50 mohair/acrylic blend. The outermost warp thread on one side has just broken. Because the epi and ppi are 6, I don’t think I am able to use the technique Jane demonstrated in season 1 (weaving in a new thread).

Is there another technique that works for such an open weave? Would I simply tie in a new section of mohair several inches long, hoping the knots are not visible after the washing/felting/fulling/brushing?

Thank you in advance.

Sandra
        Keymaster

I’m a little concerned that it’s a selvedge thread – sometimes it’s because it getting more abrasion than other threads.  If this is the case – it might continue to be a problem.  I’ll sleep on it tonight and get back to you in the morning, Josephine.  🥱

Angela
          Participant

Sandra, in addition to what you come up with to address the problem, could Josephine use a technique from knitting like a Russian join to join the warp threads?

Jane
            Keymaster

Hi Josephine, I have mended many a broken mohair warp thread in my life and I do it like any other broken thread.  Bring in a new thread and weave it down into your woven web a good few inches.   Then weight the other end or tie it to the broken warp thread with a bow way back near the warp beam.  When the original end is long enough you can weave it back into the warp and drop the added end.  Watch your draw-in…leave a high angle on the weft and it will help with abrasion.

Josephine Tobin
              Participant

Thank you. I will give this a try today.

I’m wondering if there is an issue with the mohair/acrylic not being strong enough for the warp. The other selvage is very soggy/saggy. Perhaps it is being stretched?  Is there anything I can do to mitigate this problem and prevent future breakage?

Viewing 4 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.