Brake system on Nilus Leclerc Artistat

Forums Weaving Discussion Brake system on Nilus Leclerc Artistat

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      Jacquelyn Hodges
      Participant

Hello Everyone My name is Jacquelyn I am brand new to the online guild. I have recently acquired a used Leclerc Nilus Artistat. I initially had problems with my bottom warp threads being to slack on an open shed. I read on a discussion here where Jane said to make sure warp was over back beam. I re-dressed loom and put warp over back beam. New problem arose Now the crank to adjust the rear warp beam isn’t working properly. Before the crank moved clockwise and counter clockwise when brake lever was depressed now it only cranks clockwise  so I can’t advance my warp. Does anyone have any suggestions on what the problem might be? Thanks in advance.

Jacquelyn

Ginette
        Keymaster

Hi Jacquelyn,

could you post some pictures on how the loom is dressed?

heidi
          Participant

I have a nilus 2 and when I had a problem adding heddles, I called LeClerc. They were very helpful on fixing problems with their looms.

If you can’t get answers here or other groups, try giving them a call.

http://www.leclerclooms.com
            Leclerc Looms 1573 Savoie P.O. Box 4 Plessisville Qc. G6L 2Y6 CANADA Phone: 1-819-362-7207. Fax: 1-819-362-2045

Jacquelyn Hodges
            Participant

Thank you so much Heidi. I’ve called and they’re on summer holiday until Aug. 3 so I’ll call back when they’re open.

Jacquelyn Hodges
              Participant

Thank you Ginette, It was a small warp and was frustrated and cut off the warp. I’m pretty sure it was wound on properly I wrapped it over the back beam and wound on warp with paper.  I do have pictures of the braking mechanism. Thanks for the reply.ehlTimfpRF+o9qPuZn5tFAg54D2gz0Q5yL%LKJvmVVNwi9CkBVluQDq40183nLlCEQ

kathleen ready
                Participant

Hi Jacquelyn, If you are trying to advance your warp to weave, you should not be using the  back crank.

The crank is used by turning it clockwise to beam your warp (wrap it around the back beam), with the release treadle  that looks like a treadle in the down position. There is usually a toggle to hold it down. Once you have your warp on and begin to weave, the treadle is up and that puts the brake on. As you weave and advance your warp, all you need to do is push down on the release treadle and lift the take up handle with the pawls to advance. You should not have to turn the back beam crank counter clockwise at all.

Does this help?

http://www.leclerclooms.com/draw_inst/pre_95_art_inst.pdf

Jacquelyn Hodges
                  Participant

Thank you Kathleen for the reply. What you say does make sense. I will try it tomorrow with a new warp and let you know how it goes.

Jacquelyn Hodges
                    Participant

Hi Kathleen, So I tried what you said to do. When it came time to advance my warp I put the break treadle down, latched it and started to use the take up motion handle to advance. The warp just got tighter and tighter and the back warp beam didn’t move at all. So it only moves clockwise when I warp it and doesn’t move counter clockwise to advance. I’m thinking maybe the brake circle is not working properly and needs to be replaced.

Jacquelyn Hodges
                      Participant

Thank you everyone for all your input. I finally got it working. I spoke on email with Nina at Camilla Valley Farm and she walked me through loosening the screw holding the pawl with the take up handle and using steel wool to remove the rust on the brake circle and the brake drum (which she said was probably causing the problem). Anyway, I’m able to advance my warp FINALLY and move forward and continue weaving today. Thank you all again for your help!!

Viewing 8 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.