Body mechanics for happy weaving

Forums Weaving Discussion Body mechanics for happy weaving

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Joanna Gillespie
      Participant

I’ve just begun weaving on a Louet Jane after 10 years with a rigid heddle loom.  I could weave for hours on the RH but I’m finding that I have lots of tension and fatigue in my upper back as well as stiffness in my hips when weaving with the Jane and have to stop and stretch frequently.  Is my loom too high? Bench too high?  Are there guidelines for these?  Jane speaks to bench position in Season 1 but for floor looms, not table looms.  Also, are there stretches/yoga poses that weavers find help their body mechanics for comfortable weaving sessions?

Ellen Black
        Participant

Ellen Black
          Participant

The motions are very different than a RH loom Do you use the stand? It is good to take regular breaks for sure

i am finding the book by Carson Demers helpful

fudsy1
            Participant

Is that the book about knitting comfortably?

Ellen Black
              Participant

It is, yes.

Ettabb
                Participant

I weave on a Jane too and you’re right that the heights make a big difference. In my experience you should be able to rest your elbows comfortably on the front beam without stooping or reaching. If you sit too low you put more strain on the upper back and shoulders reaching for the levers and using the beater. As already mentioned the stand is very helpful since I find most tables are too high.

ETA: you can also experiment with how far away you sit from the loom. I find too close or too far can both have ergonomic problems. Try slightly different distances and see what works best. You should always take regular breaks though. Weaving involves repetitive movements and you want to avoid repetitive stress issues.

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by Ettabb.
                  • This reply was modified 2 weeks, 1 day ago by Ettabb.
              Viewing 5 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.