Blanket width in David Loom

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      debzx1
      Participant

Hello everyone! I’m based in UK and haven’t been able to find Harrisville Shetland? It would cost lots to order in the US as shipping is expensive.  As a result I’ve purchase another wool which I hope will work..its also a shetland and is a 3/5 West Yorkshire Spinners named ‘The Croft’…now working out the sett..exciting.  My question is twofold.  a) I think I’ll need a an 8″ dent reed for the wool to pass through…true or not?  Also width wise .  Jane mentions something about ‘double width’…what is that?  Currently I can only weave at 34″ in a 10″ dent reed…how can I increse the width if I use and 8″ reed?

This suddenly sounds complicated!  Hope it makes sense?

Thanks.

Debbie.  Totnes. IK

Patricia
        Participant

Hello from the Arizona desert! While I’ve been weaving about 10 years, I’m still approaching the “intermediate” stage (as in… I know enough to be dangerous! <smile>).  I think I can answer a couple of your questions, however.

First, I believe Jane is referring to doubleweave as a technique to increase the weaving width of a blanket, for example.  This is where two layers are woven at once; they can be connected at either selvedge (or both, which creates a tube) such that the project will unfold to double its weaving width once off the loom.

For starters, Jennifer Moore is an expert in the area of doubleweave here in the US.  She did a wonderful 10-minute introduction to doubleweave in this video:

https://youtu.be/bFBB2s5fDg4

Her book is available on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Weavers-Studio-Doubleweave-Jennifer-Moore/dp/1596681799/ref=tmm_pap_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

More specifically, for your project, you should consider purchasing the January/February 2002 issue of Handwoven magazine, which is devoted to doubleweave.  While print copies of back issues can be ridiculously expensive, the digital edition is available quite reasonably:

https://www.interweave.com/store/handwoven-january-february-2002-digital-edition

Jennifer Moore has a fabulous article on page 27 which is a doubleweave sampler/workshop.  I followed the project and really got to learn what doubleweave is and how it can be used to advantage.

On page 40 of that issue is a Harrisville Shetland doubleweave blanket project for 4 shafts on a loom with a 30″ weaving width.  After washing, the author says, there is 15% takeup/shrinkage in width and length. The 3.5 yard warp (29.25″ in reed) produces a finished blanket which is 49.5 x 76.5 inches plus fringe.  This project uses a 12-dent reed for the Harrisville Shetland, with a sett of 24 epi (2/dent).

In that project/article, the author speaks to what is needed to produce a smooth fold, such that the fold on the selvedge (where the two layers are connected) is not apparent down the center when the blanket is fully opened.  In addition to the author’s suggestion, another excellent weaving source, Madelyn van der Hoogt (former editor of Handwoven magazine who now runs the wonderful Weavers’ School near my summer home north of Seattle) speaks to a different doubleweave fold technique in this article:

https://www.interweave.com/article/weaving/doubleweave-doublewide-smooth-fold/

Hopefully, others can speak to your question about your yarn of choice and the proper sett (and which reed) would be most suitable for your blanket.

I hope all this helps your understanding of doubleweave just a bit – good luck with your project!

Patricia

Ellen Black
            Participant

I hears a new edition if Jennifer Moores book is coming out soon.  Looking forward to watching her dvd.  Going to look into these other resources you mention thank you !

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • The forum ‘Season 3 – Pushing the Boundaries of Plain Weave’ is closed to new topics and replies.