Bench

This topic contains 11 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Susan Ott 4 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Susan Ott
    Participant
    • Topics: 5
    • Replies: 7
    • Totals: 12
    • Weaving wonder

It was my DH, the engineer, who figured it out!

jfranzak
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 9
    • Weaving wonder

I noticed bowing but did not figure out there was a front and back.   Thanks for the tip!

Susan Ott
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

Thanks.  I ended up ordering a raddle from Handywoman.  I have the 3D raddle for another loom and I found that there is a front and back.  If the connections face the wrong way it can bow out of line.  The other way just reinforces the connections.

jfranzak
    Participant
    • Topics: 3
    • Replies: 9
    • Weaving wonder

I also have a Baby Wolf.  I have the Schacht raddle and have used it on top of the castle clamped with similar grips that what Jane demonstrates. I also have clamped it with the clamps that Schacht designed for their rigid heddle looms—a Block of wood and an L-shaped bolt.  I did try placing the raddle on the back beam as Schacht designed it for and also on beater which I had seen someone else demonstrate.  Neither worked well for me.   No surprise: Jane knows best 😁 what works for me.

I recently bought a different kind of raddle, one inspired by the built-in Louet raddles.  This is a 3-d printed raddle that has four slots per inch. It have used it twice and I much prefer it to the Schacht raddle.

sylvia.lowry
    Participant
    • Topics: 0
    • Replies: 21
    • Totals: 21
    • Weaving wonder

Hello again,
    I would love to attach my raddle at the top back of my loom as Jane demonstrates in the episode about warping your loom back to front but I can’t make the grips that I have work for me. I have a Leclerc raddle which I attach in the beater but I’m still trying to figure out how to mount it on the back.

I’m happy that I saved you from under your loom.
    Sylvia

Susan Ott
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

Oh Sylvia!  What an inspiration you are.  Great advice about the treadles too.  I just got on the floor this morning to do my first tie-up and, despite being  not quite 20 years younger than you, could tell that this  would become a problem.  And since I have you here….. how and where do you attach your raddle?  I’m thinking of getting one from Handywoman and am not sure if she makes the attachments for the warp beam.  I suppose I could always tie it to the top of the castle.  I’m coming from a 15” Schacht table loom so have lots to learn about the intricacies of the Baby Wolf.

sylvia.lowry
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

Hi again,
    As we have been talking about Baby Wolf/Compact looms, may I share just why I bought my little loom. I could no longer get under my loom to tie up to the treadles and I discovered with the Baby Wolf at my guild, that if I fold up the loom as if I was putting it away, I had free access to the treadles at the back. By sitting on a low chair/stool, I could tie up even the most complicated pattern on 8 shafts. This means that I can continue weaving well into my dotage. I have shrunk to 4 feet 10.5 inches from my original great height of 5 feet and I’m dangerously close to 90 years of age. Happy weaving everyone for many years to come.

kathleen ready
    Participant
    • Topics: 1
    • Replies: 44
    • Totals: 45
    • Weaving wonder

I have a Baby Wolf and I’m 5’2”. I bought a wood stool and cut the legs off to suit my height. When threading, I do have to lift my shafts, place something in there to keep them up high. Otherwise it’s too low with stool. So it would be advantageous to buy a weaving stool that has height adjustments. Just want to add this loom was designed to dress from front to back, the back beam comes off easily but the front beam is screwed down.

sylvia.lowry
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

Hello again Susan,
    I don’t like the movement forward and back. I prefer a more stable seat. The sometimes unexpected forward tilt makes me slide forward on the bench and I have to reposition myself – a real nuisance. I am quite short so my feet are not firmly planted.
    Sylvia

Susan Ott
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

Thanks Sylvia.  What was it about the rocker that you didn’t like?  I’ve been using an office chair for years with my sewing machine but I think it’s past its prime.  Someone recommended a drum chair or piano bench.  Both look like they might work.  I tend to slouch though and may need something to keep me upright.  Maybe I need one of those back braces you see folks use??

sylvia.lowry
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

Hi Susan,
    Lucky you. I have the Leclerc Compact which is equivalent to the baby wolf and I love it. Just my size. I opted for the rocking bench but I regret it. I can’t turn it into a non rocker. Have you considered an ordinary chair with cushions to suit your height? I frequently switch to an office chair and find that it works fine. Good luck with your decision.
    Sylvia

Susan Ott
    Participant
    • Weaving wonder

I just found a used baby wolf and am setting it up. One thing I need help with is finding a (affordable) bench. Also what are the pros and cons of a stable or rocking seat?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.