Beginner dressing loom/warping question

Weaving Supplies, Yarn & Looms Canada Forums Weaving Discussion Beginner dressing loom/warping question

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Christina 1 week, 6 days ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Christina
    Participant

Lol, this is what happens when I don’t finish an episode. Ok, got it! Moving within families is ok….thanks so much for your patience and generous reply.

Now to sleying the reed

Sandra
    Keymaster

If you watch Season 1: 2.4 – Threading Your Loom Front to Back (around the 14:45 mark) you will see the visuals that will help.  I know visuals always help me.  You will see that the groups of threads you wound will be separated on the lease sticks as you thread.  You can move your threads around in that little group, in order to get your heddles threaded in the right order.  Most of your threading for that warp is neutral, so I don’t imagine that you will have too many sections where that might be something to watch for.  The only time you have to be aware is when you have a mixture of colours in one group when you wind on.  They have to be in the right order in the heddles when you start to weave.  Hope this helps.

Christina
    Participant

Thank you so much, Sandra!

so just to clarify: I should be moving them around BEFORE I roll the warp onto the back roller? Or is it ok to adjust once it is already rolled on and the threads will just arrange themselves as they get fed I to the heddles while weaving?

Sandra
    Keymaster

Good morning, Christina.  You can watch Season 1: 2.4 – Threading Your Loom Front to Back at around the 14:45 mark to refresh your mind.  The bottom line is that you can move your threads within the group in your cross which you can easily see separated on your lease sticks.  So, in your case, you are fine to shift those threads around within those limits.  Have fun!

Christina
    Participant

Hello,

So, I am a complete beginner (took one basic in person class, on two shaft loom) and extra eager 😉. I bought the Arlene Tea Towel Set, and since I am fortunate enough that my 4 shaft counterbalance loom came with surplus cotton yarn, I decided to weave a three yard sample according to the Arlene instructions. The issue/question I have is this:

I warped with (mostly) four strands of yarn at the same time. Now that I wound on the warp and dressed the heddles, I am realizing that, within their groups of four strands, the yarn isn’t always presenting itself in the proper order. For example: color/neutral/neutral/ color, instead of 2neutral/2color. Is this a non-issue, as long as I am threading and sleying in the correct sequence? Is it something I should have fixed while spreading out warp on lease (spelling?) sticks? Was it something I should have observed while creating my warp on my board? If it should have been arranged properly on the board, I would need help figuring out how to do that, while holding four strands.

This is SO MUCH FUN! And I am glad I am taking the time to do a practice run before using the beautiful cotton/linen mix ❤️

Thanks for your help,

Christina

P.S.: If there is a particular guild episode that explains this, and maybe I either overlooked or have missed, please advise.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.